Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Your favourite flapjack, or other trail snack, recipes please!
  • Sue_W
    Free Member

I seem to be burning through food at the moment when I’m out biking (possibly ‘cos it’s cold and not just due to being greedy!). But I don’t like energy bars / gels, and am getting tired of boring meusli bars and even malt loaf!

So, anyone got a favourite flapjack or other yummy trail snack recipe?

Basic requirements:

– No Nuts!!!! (unless you’re really bored of me posting on the forum and wish to finish me off!)

– compact enough to fit in a jersey pocket for those roadie rides

– quick and easy to make

Oh, and preferably sweet, sqidgy, and tasty 🙂

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Got to be a pork pie, or sausage roll.

Or Tunnock’s Caramel Wafer. 6 of them.

Sue_W
    Free Member

erm … I was thinking more of homemade recipes!

ton

Got to be a pork pie, or sausage roll.

+1
    a yorkshireman’s trail food………. 8)

MSP

Oh FFS! I hope this isn’t going to turn into a list of food I can’t buy in Germany 😥

GlitterGary
    Free Member

MSP – A bratwurst in your Camelback may be a continental solution?

Cougar

Here’s my flapjack recipe.

125g el cheapo chopped porridge oats.
    125g premium rolled porridge oats.
    150g salted butter.
    75g golden syrup.
    75g soft brown sugar.

(The cheap oats will bind the flapjacks together and help stop them dropping to bits)

Preheat the oven to 170’c.

Put everything bar the oats into a pan on a medium heat. Heat through till it’s all melted and the sugar’s dissolved. Stir regularly so t doesn’t stick / burn.

Mix the two lots of oats in a bowl, then tip into the melted stuff in the pan. Stir it all together.

Ladle the mixture into a greased baking dish, and press flat with the back of a spoon.

Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.

Slice into bite-sized chunks, leave to cool then whack in the fridge.

Nom.

chvck
    Free Member

Cougar – that sounds rather ace. What sort of quantity does that make?

Sue_W
    Free Member

Thanks Cougar!

Any more budding Nigella’s / Jamie Oliver’s on the forum?

Suggestions for additions – chopped fruit or raisins? A dash of ginger, nutmeg or cinnamon?

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Same mix as Cougar but with some chopped stem ginger..

Or leave out the stem ginger and add some finely chopped deseeded chillies in there, then half dip in melted chocolate when cooled and put back in the fridge.. Bl**dy messy trail food but what the hell!

crispo
    Free Member

Flap jacks very similar to cougars however a bag of mixed dried berries and some descecrated (sp?) coconut always goes into mine just for a bit of va-va-voom!

rewski
    Free Member

Not tried this yet but think it could work

blitzed dates
    blitzed raisins
    blitzed dried cherries
    oats
    pomegranite mollases – lush stuff, especially in cava 😉
    mix till goey paste, solid enough to mold
    into baking tray
    either fridge or slow bake
    cut into bars
    cling film/foil
    sorted

z1ppy

Obviously not my recipes and depend whether you can eat peanut butter (which are legumes not a nut!)

http://www.channel4.com/4food/recipes/chefs/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall/honey-and-peanut-butter-booster-bars

otherwise, not the least bit healthy when you add condensed milk…

http://www.thegorgeousgourmet.co.za/2011/03/recipe-nigellas-blondies.html

Cougar

What sort of quantity does that make?

Uh, a panful. (-: I’m not sure how to answer that really; it makes a good sized batch without being silly.

Same mix as Cougar but with…

Yeah, that’s the base recipe. I’ve made them in the past with chopped nuts, and tried choc chips which sorta worked but they melt instantly when you put them in the mix. So you get chocolate flapjacks rather than choc chip, but TBH that’s no bad thing.

I’ve idly been toying with the idea on trying a vegan / diet version, swapping the wet ingredients for diabetic jam, sweetener and low-fat spread. Not sure if it’ll work, but it’s on my to-do list.

theflatboy
    Free Member

crispo – Member
    Flap jacks very similar to cougars however a bag of mixed dried berries and some descecrated (sp?) coconut always goes into mine just for a bit of va-va-voom!

haha, how exactly do you go about desecrating the coconut? 😆

crispo
    Free Member

Haha! Dessicated even, ooops!

BigJohn

I always desecrate the cocnut before making these: it adds extra protein.

9oz Butter
    3 tbsp golden syrup
    15oz chopped dates
    12oz demarara sugar
    12 oz coconut
    12oz self raising flour
    3 eggs
    Stir it up and put it in a baking tray covered in foil at 180 for 30 minutes. Take off foil and cook a bit more. It should still be a bit squidgy when you take it out.

rewski
    Free Member

3 eggs? Wow! Why not.

loum
    Free Member

That cougar recipe is pretty good.
    For a bit of variation, I usually use honey (not treacle), demerera sugar, and unsalted butter.
    Try adding anything for flavour, but I keep coming back to chopped dried apricots and brazil nuts (sorry 🙂 )

BigJohn

That recipe will feed about 12 people. 12 very happy people. I usually make 1/3.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Flapjack recipe

175g butter
    200g brown sugar
    6 tbsp golden syrup/maple syrup
    200g oats
    75g Rice Krispies
    Quarter tsp salt
    100g dessicated coconut
    75g chopped dried apricots (ready to eat) 75g raisins

Heat butter sugar and syrup together in a pan until melted.

Turn off heat and mix in rest of ingredients.

Put mixture in tray (not sure exactly what size, I use a grill pan double size of a square cake tin so 20cm x 40cm), mash flat with potato masher.

Bake on gas mark 3/170c for 25 minutes until golden around the edges

The inclusion of dried apricots means this is healthy food 🙂

Cougar

Rice Krispies, you say. Hmm. I like the cut of your jib.

Sue_W
    Free Member

Wow – fantastic suggestions guys and gals!

Will be cooking up as many versions as I can tonight 🙂

mrcamel
    Free Member

My fave is a Nigel Slater one with figs, cherries, nuts, seeds, (all chopped in blender), plus ground almonds and maple syrup, but its also brilliant with desicated coconut….

The recipe calls for melted chocolate on top but haven’t tried this option. It was in a food supplement from somewhere, will see if I can find it, though prob on net too.

DaRC_L

I always desecrate the cocnut

Isn’t that illegal, it certainly upsets the coconut worshippers 😆

Thanks Cougar for the el cheapo chopped oats suggestion.

Has anyone got Parkin recipes – the only one I have is from my mum’s cookbook written in the 30’s (I think) and it’s a bit rubbish.

cotic853
    Free Member

Recipe for banana flapjack from the ‘Eleven Westgate’ hotel/ Big Bear Bikes at Pickering. A great moist type flapjack that has sucessfully powered us around Dusk til Dawn and other epic rides.

100g Butter
    80g brown sugar
    3 tablespoons honey
    1 banana
    250g oats
    Raisins or sultanas
    OR for bigger batch
    250g Butter
    200g brown sugar
    7 or 8 tablespoons honey
    2 or 3 bananas
    625g oats
    Raisins or sultanas
    Mix together the butter, honey, add mashed banana and sugar, mix well then add the oats
    Cook 150o C for 35 ish mins

Cougar

Thanks Cougar for the el cheapo chopped oats suggestion.

The other way of doing it is to buy posh oats and then stick half of them in a ziploc bag and take a rolling pin to them. This is sub-optimal in so far as it’s more expensive and more work, but works in a pinch if you’ve run out of Tesco Value oats.

Note that if you run out of posh oats, substituting value oats repaired with superglue takes considerably longer and may impair the flavour.

chvck
    Free Member

Note that if you run out of posh oats, substituting value oats repaired with superglue takes considerably longer and may impair the flavour.

Probably adds a bit of chew though!

mooman
    Free Member

I always mix a jar of peanut butter, glaced cherries, sultanas, sunflower seeds and half a teaspoon of cinnamon.

meddle
    Free Member

Mmm Cougar’s sounds lovely, what’s the nutrition damage on all that do you know? Calories etc.

Cougar

what’s the nutrition damage on all that do you know?

“Considerable.”

Sadly, I actually worked this out a while back. The entire pan clocks in at 2534 calories. Divided into 12, which is a reasonable sized lump of flapjack, gives you a slightly less heart-stopping 211 calories per lump.

The ‘light’ version I was positing back there ^^ is about half that. If you’re really interested I can show my working…

meddle
    Free Member

Damn quite damaging haha. It’s not so bad if you cut into 12 then, only problem is I’d end up scoffing them all. I may have to stay away from this. Cheers for the reply though.

tazzymtb

has to be natural fruit company jelly dinosaurs. If you are lucky enough to get a T rex it’s about 2″ tall of jelly goodness.

these are ace as well

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/12971/blackberry-and-coconut-squares

singletrackmind

I use equal amouts of Golden syrup , butter and Moscovado sugar.
    Microwave the above then stir in a heaped teaspoon of mixed spice, or 2 tea spoons of cinnamon .
    Add currents or sultanas for a change , then blend in Tesco Finest porridge oats , till a stiff consistancy is acheived .
    20 mins at 150′ fan oven , on top shelf.
    Cut through whilst warm, then allow to cool before breaking out of tray .
    Wrap in foil and freeze if you have no will power to stop you scoffing the entire tray in aweekend ( the foil stops microwave defrosting apre pub )

saxabar
    Free Member

Does anyone know whether you can freeze them, or how long homemade will last?

BigJohn

My homemade date & coconut lasts about half an hour.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Blend
    1x bannana
    Handfull of raisins and sultans in a pint of semi skimmed milk, add whatever else takes your fancy

crazy-legs

Just got my flapjacks out the oven. 🙂 These ones have cherries in them so by my reckoning, that counts as one of my 5 a day. 😉

cardiff
    Free Member

These are awesome! Green and Blacks Chocolate Recipies for the win!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Your favourite flapjack, or other trail snack, recipes please!’ is closed to new replies.