Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Your best/most useful/most used kit?
  • groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Been asked what I want for Christmas and got to thinking about the best, most useful or most used bits of kit aside from the obvious ones like the bike/tyres etc etc.

So what is your most used or most useful item of bike gear? The tool that has bailed you out so many times, the allen keys that have lasted forever, the jersey you choose almost every time even though you have a drawer full of others…..

downhillfast
    Free Member

Gloves. You can never have too many gloves.
    Gloves have saved my hands from damage countless times, kept them warm, give somewhere to wipe snotters etc 😆

My Endura full Monty gloves are almost dead after nearly 2 years though. Won’t be buying them again.
    Best gloves I ever had were some Dakine ones.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Park allen keys. Just brilliant things. My current set must be 20 years old and built/fettled many, many bikes in that time and they’re still like new.

Phil_H

My Ground Effect softshell that I can’t remember the name of.
    It’s my go to autumn/winter/spring riding jersey/jacket.

scud
    Free Member

Firm favourites:

Apidura frame bag like this:

https://www.apidura.com/product/road-frame-pack-large/

Leaves space for water bottle, but big enough for jacket, 2 tubes, tools, and some scoobie snacks. Haven’t ridden with backpack for ages.

Blackburn Wayside multi-tool

https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/blackburn_wayside_19_function_multi_tool-ID_69309?sv_source=google&sv_medium=cpc&sv_campaign=%5Bcampaign_name%5D&sv_term=%5Bkeyword%5D&gclid=CjwKCAiAjuPRBRBxEiwAeQ2QPomj9lziy8FMIUhenyYgfbjpo490BCh6QtnJb2nxyYvBSsj9xYSAoxoCrdgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Bit heavy, but decent chain tool, the allen keys are tough and detach making them easier to use and it has a blade which comes in handy.

And Defeet Woolie Boolie socks, just casue they’re ace..

stwhannah

Tyre noodles for tubeless repairs. Not overly fussed about the brand. There’s something so satisfying about them.

jekkyl

Camelbak, every aspect of any camelbak is great, the whole thing is just designed perfectly and manufactured to a high quality.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Park allen keys. Just brilliant things. My current set must be 20 years old and built/fettled many, many bikes in that time and they’re still like new.

Another 20+ year old set here. AWS9. Just perfect kit.

Yak

Airshot – reduces tubeless tyre swaps faff.
    Sportwool kit – something far comfier about wool compared to synthetics. Rapha etc are pricey, but other brands like Torm come in comparable to good synthetic stuff.
    A gilet. Every cyclist needs a gilet. Mesh backs are best to keep them superlight and non-sweaty.

ton

joe blow track pump. had it since they first came out. never missed a beat.

Murray

Bahco Laplander Folding Saw although I wish I’d bought the orange version

blader1611
    Free Member

I have a pair of Altura mtb shorts that i have been using for over 10 years of mtb and commuting duties that have done over 50,000 miles and only now are they starting to show there age (they only cost me 25 quid from Merlin). The stiitching is coming apart which i could duly repair but i feel like they deserve retirement so new shorts for xmas for me.

moonboy
    Free Member

A ‘pedros downhill tyre lever’ – it’s ace.

Yes tyres can be done by hand but its just faster when at home and also incredibly useful for wiggling open crusted up brake calipers.

chakaping
    Free Member

Sealskinz UltraGrip gloves are brilliant for colder days, wear them constantly this time of year.

DeFeet Woolie Boolie socks are the only ones I have that will cut it in really cold weather.

doggycam
    Free Member

Anything merino,,,,,,,,,
    baselayers,midlayers,toplayers,jackets,windproofs,gloves,hats,socks, jumpers

Camelbaks too, not in merino……….obviously 🙂

Yak

kilo wins. Mostly because i’m tired enough to think a fettling seat is needed. Could easily be a drinking seat. Put nuts and crisps in the trays and off you go.

thepurist

This year the kit I’ve been most glad I own is a pair of windproof knee warmers and a stolen goat orkaan jersey.

akira

Airshot, Hayes disc brake aligning tool and beer.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Crank Bros Multi Tool.
    Endura MT5000 shorts.
    Love my DTSwiss hex and torx sets but only had them a couple of years.

hodgynd
    Free Member

A Berghaus base layer ..must be at least 10 years old ..not marketed as bike specific therefore it didn’t cost the earth ..
    Silk-like next to the skin and fast wicking ..it will be a sad day when it’s gone .
    Can’t stand merino ..its wool therefore still rough ..have been meaning to try bamboo for a while without ever getting around to it ..

belugabob
    Free Member

A workstand – makes any fettling job a million times easier.
    Also good for cleaning, as you can takes the wheels off, gaining access to the bits that would otherwise be tricky.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Defeet Dura gloves, great simple warm gloves, if it’s really cold I’ll wear two pairs. All my Ground Effect clothing and an Altura softshell gilet.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Workstand
    Pogies
    A good pump

If I had to choose one…I can’t.

beej

+1 for the seat kilo posted.

I got one last year for Christmas – I don’t lose little bits or get a sore back from bending over when working on bikes (even on a bike stand).

qtip

Schwalbe Procore

malgrey
    Free Member

Workstand

Pump spray thing for cleaning after rides (or Karcher if funds permit)

Tarp (DD, Alpkit Rig 7 etc), great for overnighters on or off the bike.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Topeak Ratchet Rocket is a great little tool that gets used for all sorts of fiddly jobs everywhere.

Other than that, that stool, and a decent gilet are good ones.

I keep thinking if I had a parts washer it might well be on the list too, but I don’t. Maybe it needs to be on my xmas list 🙂

Edit… oh and a Silca 14-7. Chop the end of whatever pump you have and replace with one of these, it’s brilliant.

nicko74

Humvee Endura MKII shorts (apparently the Mk 3 ones are not good).
    Topeak Alien multitool thing. Had it for 12 years now, if I ever lost it I’d get another in a heartbeat.
    Specialized photochromatic riding glasses

al2000

My Fix It Sticks T-Way Wrench gets a lot of use, mainly because it’s really useful :

http://fixitsticks.com/t-way

onandon
    Free Member

Assos fugu winter cap.

Awesome down to -5 and doesn’t slip around.
    £30 very well spent

NCC

My RAB Vapour-Rise Stretch top. The single most worn item in my cycling wardrobe. Slowly wearing it out after 5 years or so winter use. Don’t think they make them anymore or I’d buy another.

pennine
    Free Member

Karrimor Paclite waterproof jacket I bought in 1999 (£120). This still goes with me on all my local rides. More showerproof now.

superstu
    Free Member

Waterproof socks and decent flat shoes

UK-FLATLANDER

Another vote for Rab Vapourise tops, have two, get on a bit but they are superb 🙂

tpbiker
    Free Member

My waterproof shimano boots..easily the best purchase i’ve ever made and make going out in wet conditions bearable

closely followed by good gloves..

wilburt
    Free Member

Park hex keys
    Merino Buff
    Workstand
    Track pump
    Rechargeable lights
    Out front gps mounts
    Strava subscription
    Track cycling lesson
    Montane windstopper gloves

TiRed

Most used is my helmet.
    Most useful from a perfect design and application is my Airshot.

hodgynd
    Free Member

If I’m allowed a second post..
    The most useful bit of “kit” over the last few years has been the Viewranger app on my phone ..
    That’s got us out of more spots of bother than I care to admit 🙂 ..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Thought about a lot of these, airshot was probably on the list until I got better wheels and don’t really need it.
    This however is awesome for travel when the bars come off

The Evoc bag that has let me explore a lot of places is up there too

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Your best/most useful/most used kit?’ is closed to new replies.