• This topic has 150 replies, 79 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 31 posts - 121 through 151 (of 151 total)
  • Your “always in good films” actor?
  • DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I suggested Nicolas Cage very much with my tongue firmly in cheek. He’s atrocious.

Harry_the_Spider

The Rock.

zilog6128

No mention for Michael Caine?

surely got to top the list of the “best” actors to be in the worst films. Even above Cage 😂 “You get paid the same for a bad film as you do for a good one.” as I believe he said once 😃 I actually sat through (most of) the one he did with Seagal the other day. Absolutely terribly, but not quite bad enough to enjoy ironically! And not his worst either. Jaws 4? (not seen the one about the bees 🐝)

The Rock.

to be fair, if there is a film with him in it, I will watch it. And probably enjoy it!!

johnnystorm

@richmtb 😀

willard

Are we counting good performance in bad films, or just performances in good films? Cheech Marin was good in the otherwis oddly good/bad of “Dusk Till Dawn”…

Also, how are we to assess whether a film is good or bad? The original Dune was epic, but was by no means an amazing performance by a lot of actors in it (Sting, looking at you) and some films are really, really divisive. I know that Blade Runner is almost a trigger for several friends that do not like it in the slightest.

Also, Rutger Hauer.

hols2
    Free Member

Are we counting good performance in bad films, or just performances in good films?

Good films, not good performances in shit films.

mefty
    Free Member

Jaws 4, also known as Jaws: The Revenge, won a Razzie for worst visual special effects.

“I’ve never seen it,” Sir Michael, 83, said on ITV’s The Jonathan Ross Show.

“Somebody said, ‘Have you ever seen Jaws 4?’ I said, ‘No. But I’ve seen the house it bought for my mum. It’s fantastic!'”

darthpunk
    Free Member

Michael Shannon – and yes, I include “Premium Rush” in his list of films, he was the standout in that for me. Which really begs the question, does it still count as a bad film if they were the main star but you still found them watchable?

*edit: I was beaten to that nugget of wisdom

stanfree
    Free Member

Keeping it British , but James Mcavoy , Strephen Graham and Paddy Considine never fail. On the TV side I’d say David Tennent is always very watchable. Great actors like Denzel , Leonardo DiCaprio and Joaquim Phoenix have all been in some not so great films early in their careers but now never fail to dissapoint.

willard

@hols2 That makes a big difference… I still think though that we need to define what a good film is because Shawshank Redemption and Green Mile score high up in the IMDG top 100, but can generate a lot of ill feeling.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

The Rock

I’m only seeing Tooth Fairy as a miss there.

Otherwise, along with Statham and Diesel, that’s the comedy action market sewn up.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Eva Green

DezB
    Free Member

Robert Duvall been mentioned?. Usually a sign of quality. “Way of the Gun” – see it.

kid.a
    Free Member

I love the fairly dark ones, preferably British. There’s not lots of it really.

Paddy Considine, Stephen Graham.

Also Daniel Day Lewis, DiCaprio and Brad Pitt

zilog6128

I’m only seeing Tooth Fairy as a miss there.

and even that made money! Easily the most bankable actor. If you can get him in your film, you WILL make money. So yeah,
    1) Daniel Day Lewis
    2) The Rock
    3) everyone else

Northwind

Tom Cruise has been in a bunch of films I didn’t like. But they were probably good, in that they did exactly what they were supposed to do, really well.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Zoe Saldana.

moonsaballoon

The only answer is Jason statham If you like Jason statham you’ll probably like all his films . I don’t think I’ve ever been disappointed with one of his films as you know what your going to get . except revolver that was awful .

joepud
    Free Member

For people saying DiCaprio yes hes become an outstanding actor but for me Titanic and man in the iron mas were truly awful. As already said its best to look at whos done the least worst movies.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I was going to put forward Wesley Snipes but i think he might have been in one of the expendibles films.

BoardinBob

I’ll repeat, the answer is Tom cruise

He hasn’t been in an absolute stinker.

You might not like Days of Thunder, Cocktail, Last Samurai, Eyes Wide Shut etc, but they weren’t bad films in the way the likes of Nic Cage has done some absolute stinkers. You may not like Cruise as a person however his output is consistently watchable. Plus he has some absolute belters in there like Edge of Tomorrow

cynic-al
    Free Member

however his output is consistently watchable

Sorry, so many of his films (due to his performances) give me rage.

Main exception is Collateral.

martinhutch

Talking of ‘Edge of Tomorrow’, how about Emily Blunt? Haven’t seen her in too many stinkers – good performances in Looper, Sicario, Adjustment Bureau, A Quiet Place..

BoardinBob

Sorry, so many of his films (due to his performances) give me rage.

You not liking him doesn’t mean he isn’t good.

I detest reggae music, but I’d acknowledge that Bob Marley is good in terms of what he did musically based on popularity alone.

ElShalimo

TL;DR ….. Mark Strong

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Clint Eastwood.

R2-D2.

hols2
    Free Member

I’ll repeat, the answer is Tom cruise

He hasn’t been in an absolute stinker.

Days of Thunder sucked.

funkmasterp

R2-D2

Nah, he was in Phantom Menace, Rise of Skywalker and then there’s that whole flying thing in the one who’s title I always forget.

Emily Blunt is a good shout. Rachel Weisz too.

cultsdave
    Free Member

@johndoh, I was thinking Brad Pitt too, agreed on Burn After Reading it is superb. Inglourious Basterds is brilliant too.

He has done his fair share of carp films too though Mr & Mrs Smith being an obvious choice!

BoardinBob

Ok, here’s an easy baromoter

IMDB ratings

Tom Cruise has 50 films he’s been in with ratings available. 48 of them have ratings of more than 5/10 and of the 2 below that the lowest is 4.9.

The likes of Pacino and De Niro have some movies with ratings of 2/10

https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?explore=title_type&role=nm0000129&ref_=filmo_ref_job_typ&sort=user_rating,asc&mode=detail&page=1&job_type=actor&title_type=movie

Harrison Ford looks to be very dependable

https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?explore=title_type&role=nm0000148&ref_=filmo_ref_job_typ&sort=user_rating,asc&mode=detail&page=1&job_type=actor&title_type=movie

Gary Oldman has come right guff on his ledger

https://www.imdb.com/filmosearch/?explore=title_type&role=nm0000198&ref_=filmo_ref_job_typ&sort=user_rating,asc&mode=detail&page=1&job_type=actor&title_type=movie

DezB
    Free Member

IMDB ratings mean nothing. I recently watched the most appalling Vince Vaughn film. Laughably bad and there’s loads of 10/10 ratings on there.

Viewing 31 posts - 121 through 151 (of 151 total)

The topic ‘Your “always in good films” actor?’ is closed to new replies.