• This topic has 150 replies, 79 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 151 total)
  • Your “always in good films” actor?
  • TheFlyingOx

Ethan Hawke.

From Dead Poets Society to Training Day to the Before Sunrise/Sunset/Midnight trilogy to A Midnight Clear to First Reformed. Even The Purge, which had no right to be as entertaining as it was. Never been in a bad film as far as I know.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Meryl Streep.
    Sally Hawkins
    Ben Wishaw
    Harrison Ford

Very few actors are always great. Very few actors are always in great films. Hugo Weaving in Transformers for example.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I reckon the actual answer to this is none. More likely that you’ve only watched the good ones. Steve Buscemi is in a lot of great films. But also Spy Kids 3 🙁

easily
    Free Member

Paul Newman

easily
    Free Member

Ethan Hawke … Never been in a bad film as far as I know

The Magnificent Seven

hols2
    Free Member

I reckon the actual answer to this is none. More likely that you’ve only watched the good ones.

This.

If you go back through actors’ early work, they will usually have done some shit films before they became famous. The good actors still put in a good performance, but that doesn’t stop the film from sucking.

Leonardo Di Caprio: Critters 3
    Brad Pitt: The Dark Side of the Sun
    Phillip Seymour-Hoffman: Twister
    etc.

Northwind

John Cusack.

And the Rock, obviously.

hols2
    Free Member

Phillip Seymour-Hoffman: Twister

Fightin’ talk.

hols2
    Free Member

Fightin’ talk.

Ok.
    Philip Seymour-Hoffman in Patch Adams

(Plus Peter Coyote, and Alan Tudyk. I left Robin Williams out of it because most of his films were lame, it’s like seeing Tom Hanks on a billboard, you know the film is going to be some lame shit. At least with Nicolas Cage, there’s about a 50-50 chance that it’ll be either brilliant, or just atrocious.)

hols2
    Free Member

Ethan Hawke

Dead Poets’ Society was lame, predictable shite. Great Expectations was pretentious and boring.

Onzadog
    Free Member

James Stewart

Cary Grant

Alec Guinness

Basil Rathbone

IHN

Harrison Ford

The last Indiana Jones one was terrible

Brenda Gleeson is a good shout.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Tim Roth, Paddy Considine

MartynS

Will smith seems to work on consistently decent films.

Tom Hanks is another name that will be in a very watchable film.

kerley
    Free Member

Marlon Brando. Not done many films recently though…

joshvegas
    Free Member

George Clooney is in Gravity the stinkiest of turds. And Michael Clayton.

Alex Winter, Edward Furlong, Robert Patrick

Have only ever been in great movies or their other movies were so unsuccessful they don’t count.

Jennifer Grey?

BoardinBob

Tom Cruise

Go on, name a bad film he’s in. You can’t.

twistedpencil

Kermit the frog…

toby1

Ellen Paige

Although I’m with the above comments, you need people to have written a good movie for the actor to be able to make something of it.

mattyfez

Tom Cruise

Go on, name a bad film he’s in. You can’t.

Days of thunder.

stevie750

Paddy Considine

Is a good shout. Unlike some actors who do the same role he really has a range, From dead man shoes (which mrs750 refuses to watch) and hot fuzz

martinhutch

Cocktail
    Eyes Wide Shut
    Mi2
    The Mummy
    Anything Jack Reacher
    Far and Away

You know what, I think the original post might have been sarcastic 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

Flaperon

Denzil Washington.
    Tom Hanks.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Absolutely nothing to do with his acting ability (or lack of) but I don’t think I have ever seen Mark Whalberg (sp) in a terrible movie.

redmex
    Free Member

Tom Hardy maybe Dustin Hoffman chuck in some Eddie Murphy

BoardinBob

Tom Hardy

AS much as he’s my total man crush, you clearly haven’t seen This Means War

BoardinBob

Absolutely nothing to do with his acting ability (or lack of) but I don’t think I have ever seen Mark Whalberg (sp) in a terrible movie.

The Happening

One of the WORST films of all time

johnx2
    Free Member

Turturro? Though I confess to not having seen the Transformers part of his oeuvre as probably too arty for me…

erictwinge
    Free Member

Tom Cruise is an interesting one

would never had said him but looking through his list there are no turkeys!

nickc

but I don’t think I have ever seen Mark Whalberg (sp) in a terrible movie.

Transformers. When it had gotten “worse” after the first few which in turn were some of the most terrible films ever made…

nickc

but looking through his list there are no turkeys!

Really? As well as the ones listed above, there’s also Last Samurai, Knight and Day, Valkyrie… There are some stinkers.

piha
    Free Member

I can’t believe nobody has mentioned Ron Jeremy.

hols2
    Free Member

Films that sucked.

Tom Cruise – Days of Thunder
    Dustin Hoffman – Who Is Harry Kellerman and Why Is He Saying Those Terrible Things About Me?
    Mark Wahlberg – Daddy’s Home 2
    Eddie Murphy – The Adventures of Pluto Nash
    Tom Hanks – The Terminal (although his movies are pretty much all mediocre, this was just awful)
    Marlon Brando – The Brave

So, basically, any actor with a decent portfolio will have stepped in some shit along the way, it’s just inevitable. However, special mention must go to Tim Roth for United Passions, which might be the worst film ever made by people who are supposed to know how to make films. It grossed less than $1000 on it’s opening weekend.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Will Hay

spacemonkey

Stephen Graham

Phenomenal at playing an absolute bastard. Equally excellent at displaying vulnerabilities and emotions, eg The Virtues.

hols2
    Free Member

Actually, Green Mile was even worse than The Terminal. Tom Hanks has done some real shit, with his best stuff being mediocre.

Bachelor Party sucked.
    The Money Pit sucked.
    Bonfire of the Vanities sucked.
    Forrest Gump sucked.

IHN

Marlon Brando – The Brave Apocalypse Now

Yeah, shoot me.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Will smith seems to work on consistently decent films.

He had a good runs of things for a while, was seen as the last ‘bankable’ star for ages. Ironically partly because of that he didn’t get any parts he wanted (more drama lead stuff) as they wanted too much money.

He didn’t make a film from 2008 to 2012 and has mostly made action / action comedy crap since, Men in Black 3, After Earth, Collateral Beauty, Bright and Gemini Man and Bad Boys for Life.

johndoh
    Free Member

Tom Cruise is an interesting one

would never had said him but looking through his list there are no turkeys!

Yeah I agree – as an actor he isn’t the best but, for the most part, his films have all been decent enough and that was the question the OP posed.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Actually, Green Mile was even worse than The Terminal. Tom Hanks has done some real shit, with his best stuff being mediocre.

Bachelor Party sucked.
    The Money Pit sucked.
    Bonfire of the Vanities sucked.
    Forrest Gump sucked.

Many people don’t like his warm and fuzzy, middle of the road style, but most of the films you’ve listed were well liked profitable and even Oscar winning, or 30+ year old films from the start of his career.

That’s not that he hasn’t made bad films, Inferno, Hologram for the King, Larry Crow did poorly and are largely forgotten despite being fairly recent.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 151 total)

The topic ‘Your “always in good films” actor?’ is closed to new replies.