Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Yorkshire Mountain Bike Marathon
  • Dogsby

Hi All,

Anyone taking part tomorrow?

Looks like a good course and excellent weather for the event!!

Dogsby

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Yep, first time around that course for me too. Looking forward to it.

fooman

I’ll be there with mrsfoo doing the medium route as it doesn’t repeat as much as the long (though I’m sure it’s all good) we’ve ridden a fair bit in the area and for events like Birdsall Blast always interesting should be good.

Dogsby

I am doing the 80km route so will be setting off at 0900.

The current question is dropper or no dropper? No dropper allows me to put on a wee seat pack and I can get the rest in my pockets but does the terrain need a dropper?

Gribs

I’m doing the 65km route and expecting to look overbiked on a Bird Aether 9.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Well that was a tough day out 🥵 enjoyed the course. The corn fields were certainly a bit different, loved it.

Dogsby

Well that was hard work. After lap one I was seriously considering calling it a day but managed to limp around the second 42km. Glad I did but it was a challenge!!

Dogsby

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I was camping like nobody’s business, especially towards the end of the 2nd lap.

Anyone else get caught out by the massive root that seemed to turn most people 180 degrees in a split second? 🤣

Gribs

The guy in front of me went sideways on it so I had to stop. Even Just scooting over it the bike went sideways. A lady also had a nasty tumble into the nettles just before it. That whole section seemed very out of place with the rest of the course.

richvelo
    Free Member

Yep did the 80k and was suffering cramps by 3/4 of the way round the second lap. Rode the “root” on the 1st lap when it was dry, didn’t even attempt it on the second lap when it was wet n polished!
    Feeling somewhat 2nd hand today!

Matthew
    Free Member

First event I’ve done in about 20 years, & first time I’ve ridden over 40 miles! All the steep bits in the woods were great fun, though a slippery root caught me out at one point, aching a bit today though, but all good fun.

andybrad

i just did the average route. Really enjoyed it

steve_b77
    Free Member

Did the “80km” route again this year, cracking event and the burgers are ace at the end.

Anyone else get caught out by the massive root that seemed to turn most people 180 degrees in a split second?

Yup, did a lovely pirouette on the first lap, but got it right on the second. Did have a little lie down on the 2-way traffic section when I hopped into the middle to pass a lady rider and promptly got my front wheel stuck in a hidden rut and landed in the mud / stone on the field!

gingerflash

“Anyone else get caught out by the massive root that…”

I don’t remember this at all. I guess I wasn’t caught out by it.

I signed up for 80km, but have done very little in the last month for various reasons, so wasn’t surprised to find myself fading and cramping in the middle of the second lap, so I switched onto the 65km route.

I thought some bits of the course were ok, but the seemingly-endless shoulder-high cornfields were a bit silly and annoying.

warrior4life

That was rough!
    Signed up for the 80km route but had to cut the final 7km off and headed back by road.
    I had all the gear and no idea, a 10kg Scott Spark and everyone seemed to be passing me.
    I saw the root that was spinning everyone but I managed to get over it.
    Loved the course as a whole but it really did a number on my body.
    Surprised by how old most of the riders were.
    A truly fun and challenging event, I will be back.
    Some really interesting choices of kit and bikes on the start line.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I had all the gear and no idea, a 10kg Scott Spark and everyone seemed to be passing me.

Well someone once wrote “It’s not about the bike” 😉

You will’ve no doubt realised its quite a stacked field in terms of Northern marathon types.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.