• This topic has 16 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by alpin.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Yet Another Tyre Thread – Tough, Fast(ish) Rear
  • fathomer

I know the trails are still pretty shitty out there but I’m planning ahead to warmer, dustier times and have nothing in the tyre box. Currently have a 29×2.4 DD DHR2 with no insert on the bigger bike, so would like something as tough and noticeably quicker. I ride a bit of all sorts from Peak/Lake District loops to winch and plummet.

Opinions please 🙂

Yak

Wild Enduro rear? Standard one is quite durable, but there’s the heavier one too with a beefier build if you are a tyre shredder. I have the standard one and it’s good, but wears fairly fast.

ajantom

Tough/fast WTB Trail Boss?

I’m yet to kill one (and I’ve definitely tried!) and they roll very well.

orena45

Continental Xynotal enduro. Got one on my hardtail for local Cornish granite chunk and road connections in between. Rolls well, grips nicely and is tough enough so far 👌🏼

chiefgrooveguru

Eliminator Grid Gravity T7/T9?

I’ve only used the Grid T7 version but it’s a pretty good rear tyre if you want something that corners like a DHR2 but rolls faster (less braking grip and driving traction though), and wears well. The Gravity versions are much tougher by all accounts and T9 is way stickier than T7 (T9 side knobs).

Akers

Bit of a retro choice, but would a High Roller not fit the brief?

tthew

I’ve got a pair on those Goodyear Newtons on my MTB. I was surprised how quick they roll because they are fairly chunky.

bikesandboots

Currently have a 29×2.4 DD DHR2

MaxxTerra or MaxxGrip?

Unfortunately Tacky Chan Super Gravity is only available in Ultra Soft. Soft is Super Trail only.

joebristol

Trailboss is a good shout – tough / fast works well in the summer. Often cheap too.

Conti Xynotal is decent – I’m on an enduro / soft version but if you need tougher there’s a DH soft (avoiding the super soft compound which is draggier).

fooman

If you want to stick with Maxxis look at the Aggressor DD I would take this over High Roller for both grip and (good) speed

fathomer

Thanks everyone, plenty of options to look at.

@bikesandboots
    it’s a MaxxTerra

Superficial
    Free Member

If I could be arsed to change tyres when summer rolls around I’d use semi slicks like Rock Razors.

Northwind

If they did a dual compound dhr2 in doubledown it’d be good but they don’t 🙁 They do have an Aggressor 2.5 in DD but tbf it’s nothing like as good as the dhr2- it’s usefully faster, but it gives up a load of grip to do it, it’s not a good exchange. I’ve stuck with it because I have the tyre, it’s not terrible but it’s not great.

I love the rockrazor in the old supergravity, easily the best tyre and best carcass schwalbe have ever made, but it’s longdiscontinued. If you can find one of those they’re in a class of one. Don’t confuse it with the more recent supergravity, it’s basically dh weight, schwalbe took a big step back on carcasses when they went all “super”

chakaping
    Free Member

Wild Enduro rear? Standard one is quite durable, but there’s the heavier one too with a beefier build if you are a tyre shredder. I have the standard one and it’s good, but wears fairly fast.

+1 and might still be £30 on Merlin.

Standard one would be great on your Starling and I’ve found they last really well in terms of wear – and I don’t think I’ve ever put a hole in one.

Bit faster than a DHR2, but not as fast as a semi-slick. Adds up over a long ride though.

intheborders
    Free Member

Maxxis Minion SS, run on my HT all year and use to use on my FS for summer.

Oh, and Inners last night was dry as a bone!

fathomer

Tyres are a bloody minefield 🙂

The Conti Xynotal & Spec Eliminator both look pretty good. I assume the Xynotal Enduro & Eliminator Grid Gravity casings are similar to DD?

Also like the look of the Tacky Chan but no Super Gravity Soft is a bit shit!

@intheborders
    it was actually pretty dry at Wharncliffe on Sunday but a bit of a bog where I rode Sunday!

alpin
    Free Member

look at the Aggressor DD

Have been running this on the rear for years now. Can’t complain about it. Loses grip predictably. Wear is pretty good.

Maxxis Minion SS,

Ran this year’s ago. Fun, drifty tyre.

Planning on riding a Transalp this year to celebrate a mate’s 50th. 600km and 12,000m of climbing. Thinking something a little faster rolling might not be a bad thing.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.