Home Forums Chat Forum Yet another car itch – fast diesel estate

• This topic has 207 replies, 87 voices, and was last updated 6 months ago by mert.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 208 total)
  • Yet another car itch – fast diesel estate
    wheelsonfire1

For people who haven’t read further up in the thread, this is what I put –

I didn’t make the comment without thought. I do find it crass and a touch insensitive sometimes when posters discuss the dilemma of spending huge amounts of money on a vehicle on a forum where some members are trying to get by with an old banger, there is an element of the “look at me”! I can just about tolerate the watch buyers as they’re buying a work of fine engineering that shouldn’t depreciate, I can appreciate the coffee grinders as they get something to drink.. However I can’t ignore the contradiction of this thread discussing the spending of vast sums of money on a car and the thread by the OP where his workers were forbidden from discussing their pay – “ Money is explicitly not to be discussed on site as it causes issues”.” The Little Tikes car suggestion was a little bit of fun, although it could be argued that it gives more fun per pound!
    As for the accusations of trolling and the rudeness, I think it’s quite legitimate for me to comment on this thread. It’s a cycling forum first and foremost with very welcome diversions into all facets of life. You’re quite right, I’ve not much interest in high performance cars for the road (ICE or electric) there is no need, and no space on British roads for the speeds that they’re capable of. I know a defence is that you won’t use all that power or exceed the speed limits, if so then what’s the point of using so much of the earth’s finite resources just for ego? The temptation will be there and fantastically high speeds are only a toe twitch away, I see it every day where I live, madness. It’s a bit like E-bikers who “tweak” their bikes but then say that they don’t use the extra power, but you do don’t you? Occasionally I get the urge to unleash all the power in my 34 year old Land-Rover and when in my wife’s 11 year old Mokka I have to be very careful!
    I’m a supporter of more 20mph limits, low traffic neighbourhoods and low impact travel, I think these aims align with cycling a lot better than the behemoth’s pictured above, Little Tikes car excepted!

boxxer7
    Free Member

wheelsonfire1
    For people who haven’t read further up in the thread, this is what I put –

I didn’t make the comment without thought. I do find it crass and a touch insensitive sometimes when posters discuss the dilemma of spending huge amounts of money on a vehicle on a forum where some members are trying to get by with an old banger, there is an element of the “look at me”! I can just about tolerate the watch buyers as they’re buying a work of fine engineering that shouldn’t depreciate, I can appreciate the coffee grinders as they get something to drink.. However I can’t ignore the contradiction of this thread discussing the spending of vast sums of money on a car and the thread by the OP where his workers were forbidden from discussing their pay – “ Money is explicitly not to be discussed on site as it causes issues”.” The Little Tikes car suggestion was a little bit of fun, although it could be argued that it gives more fun per pound!
    As for the accusations of trolling and the rudeness, I think it’s quite legitimate for me to comment on this thread. It’s a cycling forum first and foremost with very welcome diversions into all facets of life. You’re quite right, I’ve not much interest in high performance cars for the road (ICE or electric) there is no need, and no space on British roads for the speeds that they’re capable of. I know a defence is that you won’t use all that power or exceed the speed limits, if so then what’s the point of using so much of the earth’s finite resources just for ego? The temptation will be there and fantastically high speeds are only a toe twitch away, I see it every day where I live, madness. It’s a bit like E-bikers who “tweak” their bikes but then say that they don’t use the extra power, but you do don’t you? Occasionally I get the urge to unleash all the power in my 34 year old Land-Rover and when in my wife’s 11 year old Mokka I have to be very careful!
    I’m a supporter of more 20mph limits, low traffic neighbourhoods and low impact travel, I think these aims align with cycling a lot better than the behemoth’s pictured above, Little Tikes car excepted!

clearly this is the wrong thread for you, move along

As for the accusations of trolling and the rudeness

Apologies for being rude, but you did appear very much to be on the wind up. The rest of your first post, you had my reply to, not doing it again. It was boring then, it doesn’t get any less so the second time around.

I know a defence is that you won’t use all that power

Oh, I definitely will

It’s a bit like E-bikers who “tweak” their bikes but then say that they don’t use the extra power, but you do don’t you?

There’s no extra power, it’s removing the speed limit. If I claimed to never use it, then what would be the point in de-restricting it? Of course I use it

TheGingerOne

Would you act like this to conversations in the workplace or in the pub the same way? I think it unlikely, so what makes you think this approach is acceptable here? Yours views have nothing to do with the actual conversation.

onewheelgood

Yours views have nothing to do with the actual conversation

Are you new here?

And anyway, I disagree. This is a cycling forum and cyclists are entitled to point out that what the OP is asking for runs counter to a lot of the principles of cycling. Apart from that branch of cycling that has moved away from its roots to become all about uplifts and motors, obvs.

But here’s the twist. I ride all sorts of bikes, including on the road and as such always look out for cyclists when driving – sit and wait for a good clear road ahead before overtaking, get the whole car on the other side of the road when passing where possible, extra cars at junctions etc.

I’m sure someone will be along to call bullshit 🙄

That ‘behemoth’ of an Audi actually has way more safety features than you’d probably find on a small ev. A plethora of cameras monitoring activity from the sides, at junctions with cyclists (as well as cars and pedestrians considered). It even alerts you if someone is approaching from behind when it thinks you might be opening a door. It even has thermal night vision cameras

Dangerous cars are dangerous in the hands of dicks

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Dangerous cars are dangerous in the hands of dicks

Well not quite. Any car is dangerous in the hands of someone who can’t drive. There is an argument that more expensive faster cars are considerably safer than cheaper ones.

As to not being able to talk about expensive cars. Can we stop talking about bikes then ?

I haven’t purchased a bike since 2017 because quite frankly I now think they are stupidly expensive for anything half decent

snaps
    Free Member

Timely thread, I’m just off to test drive a Audi avant 3.0tdi Quattro.

frogstomp

the principles of cycling.

Lolz. I think you made this up in your head.

“Timely thread, I’m just off to test drive a Audi avant 3.0tdi Quattro.”

Go for the Bitd if you can ;-)

northernmatt

Picked this up on Saturday. It’s very nice. Already done a drive down to Reading and back which is juts shy of 600 miles. Managed to get 47mpg out of it cruising along the motorway, dropped a bit though when I decided to “make progress”. The Dacia got picked up today, I’ll not really miss that car.

CountZero

M cars may drive well, but they’re big, heavy lumps that are seriously compromised to allow for the packaging and comfort that a large saloon car requires. A proper sports car cuts these compromises very differently and drives better as a result.

Unless the owners opt for sports-pack suspension and 20” wheels with run-flats. The car may well have better handling, etc, but becomes harsh, unbelievably noisy, prone to banging and crashing over the slightest road imperfection, and utterly horrible to drive.

sharkbait
    Free Member

This is a cycling forum and cyclists are entitled to point out that what the OP is asking for runs counter to a lot of the principles of cycling.

Are you in the right place?

Another one making the shortlist amongst other things I’ve posted on here and in the EV thread (can anyone tell I’m indecisive?). This is a slightly cheaper option.

Not super fast, but quick enough (6s/300bhp) and a nice enough place to sit. The only thing that puts me off is the JLR 3l V6 diesel potential cranks snapping. That said, it’s the same engine as my Disco (just a more powerful tune) and that’s done nearly 140k. This car has only done 22.5k on an ’18 plate

6f011030cb654e28b00b56d21abc297e0535ddc410394b73ad2e5ef7213305a688182e0375794821bb27c4aa8209ec4a

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Those Jags are supposed to be pretty good, but when I was looking just couldnt bring myself to be seen in a Jaaag.  A Merc is bad enough

snotrag

The Jags are lovely, and the closest thing I could think of to replacing (like-for-like) my old E350 Estate. Air on the back too which is really important. Not quite as big in the back though.

Theres a risk, a bit like the M-Sport Spec 5 series mentioned above, that they give away a little of what makes them good in chasing the looks and big wheels etc. I love a sporty car but for these kind of cars I definitely prefer the higher spec, ‘comfort’ or ‘lux’ versions – biggest engine, smaller wheels…

(As for the thread, interesting turn. Quite dissapointing really. I’m a keen cyclist and always have been. Keen on active travel. Ride to school with my boy.  Try to do my best to look after the world.

None of that precludes me from wanting, and owning, a big fast diesel estate car – because thats the right thing for me, my budget and use case, or from my bikes sharing a garage with a 350horsepower sports car which is used sproadically though the drier months.  The fact that some posters seem unable to divorce those things is a shame.  )

stumpy01

My fast enough diesel estate put out some impressive performance figures yesterday – 69.1mpg for my drive home from work. It topped 71mpg at one point but then the roads got a bit stop-starty.

That Jag looks nice.

hugoagogo
    Free Member

I’m on the lookout for an economical, low mileage estate but this caught my eye… seems reasonably priced, good spec : leccy seats (rare), 4wd, sunroof…

Rapid and economical?

2020 White BMW 3 Series 3.0 330d M Sport Touring Auto xDrive Euro 6 (s/s) 5dr for sale for £30,990 in Harrogate, North Yorkshire (autotrader.co.uk)

Kryton57

I’d buy it if I wasn’t in the “my car is paid for therefore financing and upgrade feels very painful” camp.

Might remap my 320d as a cheap alternative.

I still haven’t bought a car, but very close and down to two at the moment. Missed out on the Jag above

First one, will be a VERY unpopular choice and is at the extravagent end – a twist on the original idea of the M340D. X3 M40D – I like SUV’s

bmw-x3-estate-diesel-electric-hybrids-c840c6c941be

Second one is more in line withe the original brief of a diesel estate and should be more widely accepted (not that I’m particularly bothered about that ;-) )

Saw a VW Arteon shooting brake R Line estate parked up the other day in a shade of grey.

Looked the nuts.

I’ve been to see this today. Not fast as such (2l tdi, 200bhp, 7.6s 0-60) but I do like the car

IMG_34240-large

IMG_34238-large

plus-one

I briefly considered an Arteon estate. But couldn’t get over the fact it’s a Passat with a wig !

But couldn’t get over the fact it’s a Passat with a wig !

Passat Estates are great cars – well the old one I had was. Always wanted an R36

joebristol

I have to say that VW does look quite nice. Not a fan of that BMW SUV at all.

Ive got an X260 Jaguar Sportbrake – I love it.

Drives pretty nicely, happy to wag its tail a little when it’s damp, comfy to drive without being crashy over pot holes (I’ve got 255/45/19s on it) and the apply CarPlay works well / sound system is decent.

Relaxing place to be on the motorway. Mines the 250bhp 25t petrol version though (portfolio spec) – which is slightly slower then the 3litre v6 diesel but quicker than the 2l diesels.

Prior to that I had a 2 litre diesel 160bhp Jaguar XE – it drove nicely but the ingenium diesel sounds pretty agricultural and it had a thirst for adblue.

fossy

You’ll get more shoot in the ‘passat with a wig’ than the BM.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

That BMW is a lot of car for £40k. I’d have any day over a VW we lived our X1

The VW looses a lot of boot space because of the slope of the back window

The x3 will have a lot of useable bit space given the extra height. Winner all day long for me !

The VW looses a lot of boot space because of the slope of the back window

It’s pretty cavernous tbh. And £16k cheaper than the X3.

4-motion version too

Heart says BMW, head says VW

ElShalimo

Arteon looks like a very nice car that you could park anywhere and not worry about it too much

The X3 will be a drug dealers car after you’re finished with it

duncancallum

Not a fan of soft roaders.  Not anything they’re good at

Saw 61mpg out of my 530d xdrive on the A9 last week. Eco and cruise on at 55mpg…. range on the tank was showing 804miles.

My mazda 6 does 35mpg…

molgrips
    Free Member

But couldn’t get over the fact it’s a Passat with a wig !

So what?  People keep saying that like it’s a bad thing.  Passats are good cars, Arteons are good cars with upgraded interior. Not seeing a problem.

Not a fan of soft roaders.  Not anything they’re good at

If by soft roaders you mean normal cars with 4×4, they are very good at two particular niches.  One is snowy roads, the other is pulling things out of soft fields.  SUVs can do those things too but you get a load of unnecessary height and air resistance.   Of course it’s not good at off-roading but if you don’t off-road then that’s not a problem.

I like Arteons a lot by the way but of all the fancy estates they don’t have air suspension at the back. Jags, BMWs and Mercs do. This is really useful for towing.

If by soft roaders you mean normal cars with 4×4,

Guessing it was probably aimed at the X3.

Re: air suspension. I do like air suspension, but there aren’t any estates rated to tow my caravan (noseweight), so that will remain the job of the Disco. The X3 would probably be ok towing it, but still not rated for the noseweight

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Other thing to consider is infotainment systems. BMW are know for being some of the best in the business.

Have to say that VW appears to be shocking in comparison in my wife’s VW, plus lots of grumps on here about VW systems

As a 2nd car the BM might be OTT, and I bet the tax is astronomical, but if you can afford it why not

garage-dweller

Have to say that VW appears to be shocking in comparison in my wife’s VW, plus lots of grumps on here about VW systems

I am distinctly getting that impression and it’s putting me off anything recent of VAG origin in my current car related pontification, that and the adverse comments about “lane assist” behaviour in rural driving.

I’ll carry on muttering along in this thread – hopefully people only open it if they are interested.

The VW just didn’t do it for me – so unresponsive when I put my foot down (strange, my experience of VW 2l Tdi’s always led me to believe they were pokey) and the interior and tech made my teeth itch.

Decided if I liked that, I would have it as the sensible option and if not, I’d go for the BMW. Obviously didn’t want the VW, so re-opened the enquiry about the Beemer, that had been available every day for weeks – sold!

Saw a Discovery I wanted. Available yesterday, wanted to go and see it today – sold. A Discovery makes a lot of sense for a family car that will sometimes be used for work.

Going to see this tomorrow, fully loaded

32da8cc06b9e4c5c95f76c1c510f8616

And if that’s no good, might just engage mid life crisis mode and throw caution to the wind with this (very much not a diesel) RS Q3

IMG_29921-large

walowiz

Do love the Disco’s, HSE fully loaded and loads of fun, on and off road. Looking at the disco 5 as my next car to replace my 4. Tried several other big SUV’s and nothing really comes close.

had a go in the special Q7 and Q5 that was fun, but didn’t really like the cars and the family thought they were dark inside compared to the disco. All irrelevant details to this thread to be fair :)

oldbloke
    Free Member

As you said “go for the BiTDi” about an Audi and “Passats are great cars” then why not a Passat BiTDi?

The last of them will be about 3 yrs old and they’re a bit more responsive than that Arteon would be.

As you said “go for the BiTDi” about an Audi and “Passats are great cars” then why not a Passat BiTDi?

The last of them will be about 3 yrs old and they’re a bit more responsive than that Arteon would be.

The ‘old’ Passat I had years ago was great for an older car. There wasn’t enough I liked about the Arteon to make me want to explore anything similar. That said, if you’d given me an Arteon 10 years ago, I’d have been over the moon. Maybe I’ve just become too fussy

Do love the Disco’s, HSE fully loaded and loads of fun, on and off road. Looking at the disco 5 as my next car to replace my 4.

I have a D4 Commercial as a work truck. Had a D5 Commercial for 18 months which was lovely (not as much of a workhorse) but sold it back to JLR for the same money I paid for it brand new and currently back in the D4. Fancy a nicer D5 that won’t get ruined on a muddy solar farm

Went with the Discovery in the end. I now own two Land rovers 😳

So, not a fast diesel estate….

20240406_185417~3_073929

Cracking motor. 7 seats (rear 2 disappear completely, all electric), deployable towbar, twin panoramic sunroof – front opening, full extended leather, 4-zone climate control, heated and cooled front massage seats with memory, heated rear seats, heated washer jets, heated windscreen, heated steering wheel, remote start for winter pre -heating, 1200w stereo, adaptive cruise control with queue assist, adaptive led matrix headlights, 360° cameras, driver assistance pack, off road pack, tow assist pack, park assist, head up display, virtual cockpit, carplay and Android auto, loads more stuff

plus-one

Hope you have a good warranty with it 😉

Jlr make some lovely looking cars. But reliability woes have always put me off :(

Maybe you’ve got a good one !

Jlr make some lovely looking cars. But reliability woes have always put me off

138k on the white one with barely an issue – epb and maf sensor in the 5 years I’ve owned it (7-8 year old vehicle). You only generally see the bad stuff reported, people don’t post about stuff that hasn’t gone wrong

walowiz

Went with the Discovery in the end. I now own two Land rovers 😳

So, not a fast diesel estate….

thats lovely. If it’s the 3 litre, it’s not exactly slow. Is it orange-esque in colour? haven’t seen one in that colour round here. Very nice.

my 4 has the heated rear seats, it’s the benchmark my kids use to judge it’s replacement.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 208 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.