• This topic has 207 replies, 87 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago by mert.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 208 total)
  • Yet another car itch – fast diesel estate
  • singletrackmind

pomelos

Aren’t they French apples?

I don’t understand why people get small-medium sized estates. Surely you’d want a big one to move stuff?

otherwise get an equivalent sized hatchback

The car of choice topping my list at the moment is an M340d. The tourer is more practical than the saloon and (arguably) cooler. I don’t need to lug huge loads, but there would be times for work when some loadspace will be handy. I don’t want a hatchback 🤷

I don’t know what people do with 340 bhp in a country with speed limits the least powerful estate you can buy will exceed by enough to lose you your licence. That’s when not crawling in traffic or in a stream of so many cars already around the limit that there’s no point overtaking.

My last car was 450bhp. Ironically, the points I’ve had on my licence in the past 35 years were 30 odd years ago in a 1.7d Astra van and a couple of years ago in a Land Rover.

Re: some other suggestions – not a fan of Mercs at all tbh

jamesfts
    Free Member

I don’t think you can go wrong with a BMW estate as a daily driver, especially with the 6 pot diesel. Can just about squeeze 2 adults, 2 kids, dogs plus camping stuff etc in with a roof box.

I wanted rwd and preferred the smaller size of the earlier car so found a low mileage e91 335d lci (took months to find!). After some work it now has around 390bhp/820nm so no slouch but very easy to live with and relaxing to just potter around in.

Sure the 340d would be even better, you should deffo buy one.

iainc

A nice EV would be much faster and just as big inside 😁

johnners
    Free Member

i used to quite like a pomelo, I’ve not seen one for ages though.

my Omega is a mechanical device not reliance on computers, signals or technology – and is 1 second a month minimum as accurate

I don’t wish to be impolite here but is it bollocks.

Kryton57

Feel free to go and research the watch, the tests, and test it yourself.

Daffy

It’s probably worth pointing out that when all cars involved in the dieselgate scandal were checked using a fair system out on the road, the BMW 3litre diesel engine had the 3rd lowest NOx and co2 emissions of all cars tested.  Only the Jaguar engines were better.  They still didn’t pass the test (were it conducted on an open road) but they were very, very bloody close.

bruk

Had a 340i before and after it got nicked I changed to a 530d. Both in touring.

530d nicer place to sit, bigger boot, but although realistically as fast as the previous 340i it just misses that excitement. It’s extremely competent ( unless it snows) but just a bit dull in comparison. Friend has moved opposite way from a 330d to a 540i and is loving it.

If you want fun go for petrol. Otherwise a fast diesel is just that. Fast but somewhat dull

duncancallum

Ive a 530d xdrive 50plus mpg…. love it

But

More cash… d5 alpina….

CountZero

Wear Casio calculator watches

I was having some of my old tattoos touched up last week, and I noticed that my tattooist was wearing a Casio calculator watch, and the woman who owns the studio was wearing a gold one: I hadn’t seen one for years and they’ve re-introduced them.

I’ve built up a collection of mechanical watches, as anyone who’s been on the watch thread knows, but I’m happily wearing a Casio ‘CasiOak’ analog, which I’m really happy with, it’s nice and light for a change.

However, as another Casio I own shows, just ‘cos they’re all electronic, doesn’t mean it guarantees accuracy that’s any better than a mechanical watch, because it really doesn’t, plus it’s a real pig to adjust because it gains about a minute a week, and it can’t be wound back, only forwards, holding a stupid little button down for what seems like an eternity, or at least until the heat death of the universe.

reeksy

Nope, you aren’t comparing apples with apples.

My iPhone is a major technological advancement and is more accurate than my Omega, but my Omega is a mechanical device not reliance on computers, signals or technology – and is 1 second a month minimum as accurate.

Neither are you … that’s Apples with Omegas?

I am 55 years old this year, and have lusted after “performance” cars all my life, whether that’s a Lambo or an Octavia VRS…But if I get to the financing position to own one before they all go, then I will get one before they go, enjoy it…

Username … erm, hang on… no it doesn’t.

frankconway

Cutting through all the crap and titting about – what you need is the Brabus Rocket Edition AMG G63.

That will scratch ALL of your itches.

ayjaydoubleyou

Much as it pains me to say it as the owner of a petrol Audi…

When looking at a fast/hot version, I would go Audi for diesel, BMW for petrol.

frankconway

As for comments above about watches – entirely subjective.

I appreciate a good (proper) watch for what it is – a masterpiece of miniature mechanical engineering.

Am looking for a (relatively) affordable Audemars Piguet or Vacheron Constantin to add to my small collection; they will increase in value due to quality and (relative) scarcity so can be properly classified as heirlooms

In contrast, I have no wish to add another car; unless it’s rare, a car is a depreciating asset with more maintenance requirements than a quality watch will ever have – and will last for a much shorter time period.

reeksy

In contrast, I have no wish to add another car; unless it’s rare, a car is a depreciating asset with more maintenance requirements than a quality watch will ever have – and will last for a much shorter time period.

You clearly didn’t own a classic for some time and sell it during COVIDtimes then.

frankconway

You may have missed it but Covid is now in the past so it’s influence on car prices is irrelevant; as for your post, who did? Owned a classic car for some time and then sold it during Covid – that’s what you said but is completely unrelated to my post. Memo to self – this is STW and posts frequently have little connection to the subject.

I’ve never owned a ‘classic’ and don’t own one now; my 4.2l v8 diesel probably doesn’t tick many of the approved eco boxes so I’m a very naughty boy.

Are there any aussie produced classic cars? No? Didn’t think so. Did you export yours from the UK?

On a different subject, did your old man in/near Lincoln decide on a kitchen bloke for the requirement you posted about?

reeksy

My point was that not all cars are depreciating assets. And in STW tradition of course I selected a single point from your comment.

Are there any aussie produced classic cars? No? Didn’t think so. Did you export yours from the UK?

Are you **** kidding? And they survive relatively intact too.

I sent him all the suggestions, AFAIK the old man has been too busy dealing with multiple health issues and a wife that just had a knee reconstruction to have done anything about his kitchen (apart no doubt from scrutinising them on Companies House). But thanks for asking.

sharkattack

You may have missed it but Covid is now in the past so it’s influence on car prices is irrelevant;

Irrelevant? I wish. Everything doubled in price and stayed there.

Anything ‘classic’ is 4 times too high and still advertised as “price is only going one way” even though the advert is 5 months old.

Kryton57

Covid is now in the past

It very much isn’t.

Back OT for the OP, on YouTube Joe Achilles has a comparison video of the M340i and M340d plus several separate reviews of both, worth a watch.

When looking at a fast/hot version, I would go Audi for diesel, BMW for petrol.

The S4 is better specced then the M340, certainly in the cabin. Don’t even get electric seats in the BMW FFS. However, my last car was an RS5 and don’t think I’d be happy sat in a (albeit slightly more modern) Audi that wasn’t the RS. For now anyway, fancy something different

Back OT for the OP, on YouTube Joe Achilles has a comparison video of the M340i and M340d plus several separate reviews of both, worth a watch.

Yes, watched a couple of his videos. The 340d on the track shows what it can do

sobriety
    Free Member

Anything ‘classic’ is 4 times too high and still advertised as “price is only going one way” even though the advert is 5 months old

It is, just not the way they think.

didnthurt

That car sounds incredibly over the top but I’d like a shot of one. The only thing that would put me off owning one would the initial cost and the complexity of the engine for servicing and if it goes wrong.

If you can afford one then why not? Much more sensible than any sports car.

MoreCashThanDash

Username … erm, hang on… no it doesn’t.

My old user name was greatlover bur MrsMC made my change it due to advertising standards…

intheborders
    Free Member

I had a 435d (sameish engine as the 340d), loads of go and economical but the car was felt basically ‘unbalanced’ and always seemed on edge.  Hard to place what was wrong, but a colleague who had one thought the same (and he was an ex-rally driver).  The engine etc weighs not a lot more, but obviously placed differently as it’s longer.

Swapped to a 320d (xDrive as per the 435d) and yes it’s only got 190bhp rather than +300bhp but it’s vary rare I miss the extra even though I live in a region where I can pretty much use it on every journey.  The 320d handles a damn sight better/safer, even on the same wheels/tyres and it’ll still top 140mph while averaging nearly 50mpg.

tall_martin

I have a 335d

It’s great, (except that time when black smoke started pouring out the air vents, it was £3000 to fix, BMW said it wasn’t a warranty issue with the dpf filter, then sent me a letter saying it was a warrant issue, then changed the dpf under warranty for a third dpf filter.) The price of tires and brakes came as a surprise.

Apart from that is been 50,000 miles of a great driving car. It’s on 140,000 now.

I changes to non run flats. They are a chunk cheaper and it’s made the car a bit nicer.

Next car will not be as fast.

I live in the UK.
    I’ve never done a track day.
    I like having my licence, 0 points and not being jailed/ fined or crashing due to excessive speed.

The power is awesome for… 4 seconds then pointless.

I’ve maintained my car and so I’d rather stick with this car until it’s dead than get another car and run the risk that the new to me one is not a lemon.

A mate has her insurance double on her Yaris. Just due to price increases. The insurance might be a reason to sell it on before it’s broken.

iainc

BMW i4 has 335 hp…

just sayin.. :)

mmannerr

A nice EV would be much faster and just as big inside 😁

Faster at destination? There isn’t any EV yet which would faster at destination than regular diesel estate on my holiday drives. Especially during winter and/or having anything on the roof.

I follow speed limits as we have insanely expensive speeding fines here.

Kryton57

Tall Martin and I have exactly the same USP.   After sleeping in it and driving my F31 320d this morning I won’t be changing it, although I am looking for a BMW Indy near North London if anyone knows one?

ld live an m340d G21, but I’ve got other priorities, and longer term plans for vehicles which I should adhere to.

mashr

Is this a ‘stealth’ add?

And they’re over £90k…

Spam post is indeed spammy

doomanic

“Rates from as low as 9.4%”

Low???

mtnboarder

Another vote here for the M340d, used to have a 335d Touring but went for something smaller and faster a couple of years ago.

Next car will be undoubtedly be the 340d- Merc and Audi rivals can’t compete.

tenburner

Put a deposit down on a 2017 520d on Saturday, tested the equivalent 3 series and didn’t like how small and ‘old school’ it felt, more like driving my partners 2006 Mini than driving my current car (passat estate). If they were in budget, I’d have had a 530 or 535d. Big, comfy, fast, and good enough on fuel.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Gets absolutely rave reviews as a drivers car

Hmmm – thats because they want to sell more cars, and get more YT views (appealing to middle aged men)

I like cars and have had various nice ones in the past. I’ve had a few BMWs and now a Merc E class estate.

My conclusion is that that modern BMWs are not sports cars, they are just nice handling cars. By all means by one of the nice diesels as they are lovely engines, but you are not buying a sports car. Yes they go round corners nicely, and you get that nice rear wheel drive through corner feeling, and they feel more dynamic than any standard Merc.

I much prefer my tank E-class. No pretence that its a sports car, just big, comfy and rapid enough. The diesel engine isnt as silky smooth as the BMW diesels, but its a very very quiet experience over all whilst driving. I get in it knowing every journey is going to be chilled, comfortable and I will get out the other end not having to have worked as hard as you would in any BMW.

Get a proper ‘M’ car and thats a proper sports car, will feel a world different to any luke warm BMW

BMWs kind of encourage you to go quicker as they are more dynamic, but the fact is you would be doing very silly speeds to have fun with those extra dynamics. They are heavy cars so actually when you get near the edge of grip they are bloody difficult to control (unless you are a driving god) and the speeds at which they start to slip are stupid high. So they you could take it to a track, where then you would see that they are so compromised in every department that you would regret buying one.

I much prefer enjoying driving A-B on dull roads now in the Merc than I ever did in a BMW. Because BMWs are more dynamic you have to concentrate more on driving them. I used to take my BMWs out just for a drive too, but always ended up frustrated as they always underwhelmed ie brake fade or not engaging enough (because the speed needed to make it engaging was not safe on the road)

I will forever now by ‘dull’ daily cars, but I am currently saving for a weekend car ie something like a Caterham

scotabroad

I bought a 530d SE G 31 and have to say its great and has ample power previously owned several three series inc tourers and the 5 series is my preference by quite a long way now.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

YouTube Joe Achilles has a comparison video of the M340i and M340d plus several separate reviews of both, worth a watch.

I stopped watching him along time ago when I realised that he is clearly on the bank roll of BMW.

johnners
    Free Member

I follow speed limits as we have insanely expensive speeding fines here.

Well, you say “insanely expensive” but it sounds like the level of fine is pitched about right.

bigrich

Allegedly, Bmw diesels have a habit of catching fire.

Kryton57

It’s the EGR that has a propensity to overheat when very dirty in the B57 – not sure of other variants.   Older / coked up cars have had this start a sudden fire.

Theres two recalls on this a) an installed software cutout/ alert based on sensor info and an EGR clean while they waited for parts availability and b) a replacement EGR.

Mine had the former done 8 months ago and having the latter done durning its service in March.

Put a deposit down on a 2017 520d on Saturday, tested the equivalent 3 series and didn’t like how small and ‘old school’ it felt

I think the newer ones are a big improvement on the previous gen tbh

Get a proper ‘M’ car and thats a proper sports car, will feel a world different to any luke warm BMW

My last car was an Audi RS5. At some point I’ll probably get a BMW M5 in this flavour, but that’s not what I’m after right now

aba3ddd0236443fc9cd42c8715004c75

Previous car

50212124192_22dfd2ed35_k

Car I’m looking at.

Would prefer diamond cut wheels to the black, but the Shadowline (Black) pack seem to be slightly better specced in general

5b66ce5caa5f497aad2931f9a44443f9

northernmatt

Dacia Jogger owner here, they are shit. They do what they do well but I’ve done 30k miles in 14 months and I’d rather have done it in a BMW. That’ll teach me for ordering a car before getting a big pay rise. I’m trying to figure out a way out of the PCP that doesn’t cost me but that’s a different story/thread.

Anyway, M340d, lovely but I just can’t get away with BMW’s recent design language, it’s all over the place.. However, allow me to introduce the Volvo V60 T8 Twin Engined Polestar Engineered. Not only does it have a ludicoursly long name is also had 405bhp, and does 0-60 in 4.4s. 50mpg real world (113mpg if you believe the hype).

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 208 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.