Home Forums Chat Forum Yet another car itch – fast diesel estate

• This topic has 207 replies, 87 voices, and was last updated 6 months ago by mert.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 208 total)
  • Yet another car itch – fast diesel estate
  • Been looking at G21 BMW M340d Touring – 2020’ish

Nice looking place to sit, 340bhp, 700Nm, 0-60 4.8s, 35-55mpg, X-drive with rear wheel bias.

Gets absolutely rave reviews as a drivers car. Anyone got one?

Kramer
    Free Member

No, but when I saw the thread title, that was exactly what I was going to suggest.

ElShalimo

I don’t understand why people get small-medium sized estates. Surely you’d want a big one to move stuff?

otherwise get an equivalent sized hatchback

colp

Got a 335d Xdrive touring. It’s great, 313bhp I think, very quick and good handling. Easy to average 40mpg with mixed driving.

They map up to a comfortable 370bhp so I’d expect a sub 4.5 seconds 0-60 at that.

Kryton57

Kramer +1

I’m trying to decide whether to remap my 320d F31 which is by far cheaper but will it wear things out prematurely, or go for the full G21 M340d for all the mod cons.

Thing is, I’ve been reading the pension & savings threads too much and now cant bear to spend money :D

iainc

Saw a nice looking Mercedes AMG one in black earlier on, very smart. The chap came right up behind me on way into a roundabout when I was coming home, I don’t think he realised I was in an EV after we went through it and both accelerated a bit.. 🤪

oldschool

340d
    E400d

Pick your size, mid or full. Got a 2017 535d currently and if I stay diesel the E400d is my next car.

TheGingerOne

Audi S4 has been a diesel for a few years now so worth a comparison perhaps.

Daffy

I don’t rate the E-class as a nice drive.  They always feel light at the back and nervous under braking.  They also sound noisy inside.  I really like the styling and interior, but sadly it’d be a no for me.  The BMW is almost the opposite.  I like the drive, but hate the exterior.  The interior is quite nice, but the Merc feels better in all but the most exclusive trims.

whyterider93
    Free Member

Saw thread title and came here to say m340d.

Boss has one and it’s quick enough and fits in the kids, dogs and their associated stuff

Daffy

I don’t understand why people get small-medium sized estates. Surely you’d want a big one to move stuff?

otherwise get an equivalent sized hatchback

They’re generally bigger and with a more practical loadspace than a hatchback, usually have a fold flat floor, usually have a guard for the rear load area (so you can fill it without things coming into the cabin in a crash) but are nimble enough (especially a RWD BMW) to be able to park almost anywhere even in small space or tight car parks.  I’ve never felt the need for anything bigger than our 20y old 3 series and that’s with 2 kids, bikes and weekends away.  Air suspension could be useful, but space is always fine.  tight, but fine.  Optimal you might say.

Edukator
    Free Member

I don’t know what people do with 340 bhp in a country with speed limits the least powerful estate you can buy will exceed by enough to lose you your licence. That’s when not crawling in traffic or in a stream of so many cars already around the limit that there’s no point overtaking.

I suppose this is another thread like the watch thread, spending silly amounts of money on something a Casio does better.

Blazin-saddles

In that case Educator, you won’t be interested. Move along, nothing for you to see here.

Bruce

@Educator +1

doomanic
    Edukator
    Free Member

On the contrary it’s fascinating comparing what people write here with what they contribute to the green tax thread. And what they write on cycling safety or public health and being ill all Winter etc..

fazzini

Whatever you choose in this category it:
    a) will be as expensive as the Landy to fix if it goes wrong
    b) had better have good brake lights (possibly 🤔)
    😉

alpin
    Free Member

@Edukator +1

Even in the only country at you could perhaps justify it, Germany, a 130hp Passat will do the same job and still kill you.

Bigger engines with more torque make sense in vehicles that are designed to move heavy loads, such as vans or trucks.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I don’t know what people do with 340 bhp in a country with speed limits

You could say that about almost any car.

I changed my slow old XC90 for something with quite a lot more power and it’s so much better for overtaking old dears, caravans, etc.

I dont really drive any faster than I did before, but having ample power available I think makes driving more relaxing and safer.*

Not everyone lives in a built up area – I very regularly do a 100 mile journey that is 60% dual carriageway and 40% fairly open A road.

* I’m 60, no points and not had an accident in about 18 years – even then it was someone driving into me.

I also drive a 1L Fiesta which is great!

Bigger engines with more torque make sense in vehicles that are designed to move heavy loads

I also use it to tow my 2 ton boat and trailer combo.

Kryton57

I suppose this is another thread like the watch thread, spending silly amounts of money on something a Casio does better.

I disagree on that point.  With watches, there are watches that are feats of minature engineering excellence which should be celebrated as such.  Sure, a Casio F series will tell you the time for about £20, but doesn’t have the engineering excellence of other watches.   The question that’s needs to be understood and that some of the watch nerds on that thread  are seeking is how do I own something of such enduring quality.

Everyone’s context may be different and might not fit with yours.

the-muffin-man

People buy things on emotion, feel and pure want!

I bet everyone saying these cars are pointless also have things in their homes that are pointless and wouldn’t pass the spreadsheet ‘is it sensible’ test.

Edukator
    Free Member

Yup it’s the “ownership” that does it for some people rather than having something that is practical and does the job. A Dacia Jogger does the job of being an estate car better than BMW touring in that is has a more voluminious load space whilst consuming much less petrol than the BWM does diesel and producing lower volumes of ultrafine particles – roll on Euro 7.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/qanda_22_6496

johnhe

Well didn’t this thread suddenly become very preachy.

honestly, I think it’s much more polite to simply keep your nose out of threads where people are sharing interests that you’re personally uninterested in. Coming into a thread with the specific intention of raining on someone’s parade is pretty small minded imo.

ElShalimo

Isn’t this just a normal STW thread?

It goes like this:

I like lemons, can anyone recommend a new lemon or something similar but betterererer?

The lemon fans jump in

The lime boys pile in too, stating that limes are so much better.

Someone says that you’re an eco monster for liking lemons. Another person adds your lemon is going to kill my kid due to condition ABC

Then right at the end that weird person who loves a pomelo starts a fight. Nobody likes pomelo

Edukator
    Free Member

Pot kettle black, insulting and ordering me around, johnhe. Just as well I haven’t said what I really think and toned it down so as not to offend. If I can’t express surprise at self proclaimed ecologists raving about 340bhp BMWs on a bike forum then where? There’s a forum called petrolheads for raving about powerful cars without dissenting voices.

Edit: I’m out now mods, point made.

Oh and have a look at the Scott ransom article for people slagging off a bike/Brand that is the BMW of the bike world without getting insulted for their views.

RichPenny
    Free Member

What the **** is a pomelo?

Obviously a Dacia Jogger isn’t fast. Red card.

MoreCashThanDash

On the contrary it’s fascinating comparing what people write here with what they contribute to the green tax thread

I am 55 years old this year, and have lusted after “performance” cars all my life, whether that’s a Lambo or an Octavia VRS.

I know they are shit for the environment, need to be taxed to the hilt and will be phased out. But if I get to the financing position to own one before they all go, then I will get one before they go, enjoy it, and enjoy paying whatever green tax is required to offset my stupidity.

ElShalimo
    fazzini

What the **** is a pomelo?

F*** knows, but I like oranges

towpathman

Casio F series will tell you the time for about £20, but doesn’t have the engineering excellence of other watches.

Engineering excellence? I’d say that designing something that is more accurate, requires no maintenance (apart from a £1 battery every few years), is accessible to millions of people around the world, and can be sold at a profit for £20 is a much greater engineering achievement than something over complicated, less accurate, requires expensive services, and costs many many times more to make and buy.

Kryton57

Nope, you aren’t comparing apples with apples.

My iPhone is a major technological advancement and is more accurate than my Omega, but my Omega is a mechanical device not reliance on computers, signals or technology – and is 1 second a  month minimum as accurate.

sharkattack

A Dacia Jogger does the job of being an estate car better than BMW touring in that is has a more voluminious load space whilst consuming much less petrol than the BWM does diesel and producing lower volumes of ultrafine particles

You say that, but I thought I wanted a Dacia Jogger, because I’m skint and I like driving slowly while carrying lots of stuff. On close inspection they’re total dog shit.

frankconway
    Free Member

@johnhe – there are some ‘contributors’ to threads with, let’s say, a particular slant to their posts; this includes, but not exclusively, the patronising tone.

Saccades
    Free Member

Let’s be honest, most casios look shit and are about as serviceable as a brick, despite the funkier ones costing silly money. Crap argument.

And a Dacia jogger looks like it’ll be great but it’s uncomfortable and a bit crap in everything except being **** big.

I’ve a tiny engined (sp?), estate car that’s a joy to do motorway miles in but frustrating when caught behind a slow arse on country roads.

I can understand wanting a car with some poke for those times.

singletrackmind

Just what we need , the Bhp police .

Why don’t we all ride Carrera MTB.

Wear Casio calculator watches

Drink instant Nescafe

Go on holiday to Weston super mud

Drink Carling

There’s a reason , because they’re all £#1π

towpathman

I’m comparing watches with watches.

wheelsonfire1

Another aspect of vehicle ownership to consider is perhaps the impression that it gives others? If you’re retired like me and don’t particularly care about image you could trundle around in a 33 year old Landrover however, if you’re in business perhaps there’s a need to be a bit more conscious? If you run a bicycle shop and run a top of the range Merc, some may think you’re successful and some may think you’re labour rates are too high and you don’t pay your mechanics enough. If your business involves “networking” at the golf club and the Masonic Hall then a top of the range Merc, Audi or BMW might be thought of as appropriate, it gives the right image even if you can’t afford it. If you run a construction/civil engineering company and pay people poorly on short contracts or zero hours then perhaps a bottom end Ford, Vauxhall or even Dacia may well fit the bill and ruffle the least feathers.

I’ll not go into my views on fast cars, I’ve entertained those on the appropriate threads.

colp

As I said, ours will average 40mpg. I suspect some of that is through power savings we make by not using the indicators.

MoreCashThanDash

But what about the pomelos?

alan1977
    Free Member

I had a an 01 530d which i chucked a bigger turbo on and spent some time remapping, amongst other stuff

was epic fun, producing probably only a measly 260hp and weighing a good 1800kg, had it in both auto and manual form, would pull from about 1600rpm  strongly, 3rd gear pulls were fun as hell as it would take you from 30 to illegal and beyond with no need to shift. And when i manual converted it would realistically average 40 odd mpg

the flipside of that (in auto form) it was the perfect cruiser

useless as an estate though, i believe modern 3 series are the same sort of size now

also the the most most time consuming car mechanically i have ever owned…went from that to my Mazda and the amount of personal time i have back from not fixing stuff….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 208 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.