Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • XT – M785 Pads – What else will they fit?
  • brassneck

As the title really.. I have these on one bike, and would like to standardise as the others brakes are a bit tired, and then I’ll only have to have 1 type of pads in the cupboard. Apart from the wifes bike but that’s her problem 🙂

I think SLX (BR-666?) are the cheapest I can fit to do this? Not bothered about ice tech pads, I’ll be running cheap non OEM ones anyway.

sam_underhill

XTR 980/985

brassneck

XTR cheaper than XT??

granny_ring

superstar pads?

headpotdog
    Free Member

Ashima??

h8tch
    Free Member

discobrakes.com used em for years, 4 sets for under twenty big ones delivered.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Answer the question guys 🙄 OP is asking what other brakes M785 pads will fit, not what cheapo pads to buy.

The answer is XTR M985, XT M785, SLX M666, and Alfine S700 brakes all use the same pads.

dantsw13

I’m pretty certain they fit deore brakes too. They also fit the last 2 models of xt brakes.

perthmtb
    Free Member

I’m pretty certain they fit deore brakes too. They also fit the last 2 models of xt brakes.

Sorry, completely wrong. The previous version of XT (M775) has the pad retaining pin on one side and a hook on the other, whereas M785 just has a pad retaining pin in the middle. Deore pads are narrower and deeper than the M785, and depending on model also have the pad retaining pin on the side. Neither are interchangeable with the new M985/785/666 pads.

Superstar have quite a good pad identifier chart here where the XT-M785 are shape S5, XT-M775 are S1, and Deore S2 or S3 depending on the model.

granny_ring

Perth, I do believe the OP is also asking what cheapest pads he can fit as he doesn’t want the finned pads, unless I’ve misread it?

perthmtb
    Free Member

Here you go, justworked out how to link to an image 🙂

perthmtb
    Free Member

Perth, I do believe the OP is also asking what cheapest pads he can fit as he doesn’t want the finned pads, unless I’ve misread it?

Praps, but my reading of it is that he has M785 brakes on one bike, and wants to replace the brakes on another bike with a cheaper set like SLX M666, but wants to know if they take the same pads so he only has to stock one setof spares?!? It’s in the title really – “XT – M785 Pads – What else will they fit?”, not “What other pads will fit my M785”

Guess we won’t know who’s right unless he pops back to put us straight 😀

cyclistm
    Free Member

Are they superstar technical drawings?

perthmtb
    Free Member

Are they superstar technical drawings?

😆 Know where you’re going with that one (I think), so here’s the definitive Shimano pad guide but unfortunately its a bit out of date and doesn’t show the new M985/785/666 pads.

dantsw13

Oops!! I have new deore, old xt and even older xt, all using the same pads – S1 from chart above. What a surprise that Shimano have completely changed the design to make old pads redundant!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘XT – M785 Pads – What else will they fit?’ is closed to new replies.