Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Dalby Forest question
  • flyingmonkeycorps

What’s the name of the descent at Dalby that starts with a tightish switchback into a rock step, then is fast singleishtrack all the way down with big berms and a couple of little kickers? Or can anyone point me at where it is on a map?

I’m trying to work out a cunning plan to take in some of the funnest bits at Dalby whilst missing the less funnerer bits.

sing1etrack

If you’ve got the trail map I think it’s the section called Oblivion, or possibly one of the sections just after, in the area known as ‘riggs and dales’.

If you haven’t got the trail map, look toward the southerly part of the forest on an OS map and it’s somewhere around the Hawdale Rigg and White Cliff Rigg area.

HTH.

jota180
    Free Member

It’s the bit just to the right of the ‘Visitor Centre’ tag

http://www.complite.com/mtb/maps/dalby/DalbyMap2.pdf

flyingmonkeycorps

Yup, that helps loads – I thought that was what it was called, but wasn’t sure. Ta very much 🙂

*edit* isn’t the bit by the Visitor’s Centre tag by Go Ape? That’s not the bit I’m after I’m afraid 🙂

flyingmonkeycorps

Also (sorry, too late to edit) – whereabouts are the bombholes? Are they after the red splits from the green about 3/4 of the way round (not far before the aforementioned Oblivion)?

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

Its on the red section that has the black loops and sections coming off it, between Dixons Hollow and the start of the Adders Back climb I think.

flyingmonkeycorps

Not the bits I’m thinking off, ‘cos I rode the bit betwixt Dixon’s and Adders Back yesterday 🙂

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

Me too 😀 ashamed to say though I bailed half way down that descent in the woods with the ridiculous corners. Had the bonk and was a bit shaky.

Lesson learned = carry more food. We did the whole thing yesterday. I have more or less spent the day eating so far today.

that descent you’re on about, trying to think which one it is as there are two that are similar-ish on that section of the trail after the long fireroad bit that joins up with the green. There’s a decent descent and then a couple of nasty slogs over rocky paths and nothing particularly fun for a while!

flyingmonkeycorps

We just played around between Dixon’s and Crosscliff (where the black North Shore trail is) yesterday, there’s some good bits off the main red there… Did the whole thing a few weeks ago, and whilst there were some great bits there was too much that bored me too, hence trying to link some stuff up 🙂

Anyway… I think sing1etrack is right with Oblivion, it looks in about the right place. It’s just after (I think) a similar descend into a dale that’s just a bunch of steep switchbacks one after the other.

And the bombholes I can never remember – I don’t think they’re worth any effort, but a mate wants to see them.

littlemisspanda
    Free Member

Have to say I was a bit bored by the end. Great endurance/fitness building but some of the sections are a bit samey…

my OH enjoyed the bomb holes but he’s more into his freeride than me – either it’s age or fear of losing pay if I have to take time off work due to an injury!

flyingmonkeycorps

I don’t get the attraction of them… They’re just big holes, you ride down then you pop out the other side…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Dalby Forest question’ is closed to new replies.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM