• This topic has 17 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Alb.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • XT HTII crankarms – what are they made of?
  • psychle
    Free Member

I've had a set of these polished up all shiny like and then clear powdercoated, they look lovely! Only problem is that the powdercoat scratches quite easily, so I'm thinking about stripping this off and leaving the metal bare, polishing it occasionally as need be. But, will the bare metal oxidise/rust? Does anyone know?

cheers 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I've done it to some LXs. They dull a bit, but otherwise they're fine. A Brillo pad brings them up shiny again. 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

aluminium alloy – will corrode.

JonR
    Free Member

Helicopter tape them when new?

Talkemada
    Free Member

Cheese.

glenh
    Free Member

Magic

psychle
    Free Member

aluminium alloy – will corrode.

Does metal polish provide a barrier to help prevent this?

A Brillo pad brings them up shiny again.

I've had them professionally polished, they look ace, would really like to keep the finish. I suspect a brillo pad would detract from the current mirror like state 🙂

Del.
    Free Member

Careful how much polishing you do.A bit of shoe rub wore a hole in the drive side arm on mine!The material is wafer thin on the outside of the arms

cynic-al
    Free Member

Does metal polish provide a barrier to help prevent this?

AFAIK metal polish cleans and sands the metal finely – so no.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Decent UV-resistant laquer from a rattle can.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

XT HTII crankarms – what are they made of?

Crappite. Thats what they are made of. Wheras XTR are made of costalotium.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Never seen my old XT crank arms with a think oxide on them in the worn bits unlike the insides of rims for example – I guess they use a resistant metal alloy (Polymetal alloy – say Arnie 😉 )?

69er
    Free Member

Bogies?

coffeeking
    Free Member

You'd want to coat them I think. I'd not want to polish them, they're thin enough as it is.

Macavity
    Free Member

Polished / buffed aluminium alloy will suffer from increased potential for crack propagation, than a shot blasted surface.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Polished / buffed aluminium alloy will suffer from increased potential for crack propagation

Apart from the fact that you have to do material removal to polish to a shine (removing the surface compression that comes with the shot-blasting and helps with crack prop). Seeing as people have actually worn through the arm outer, I'd be steering clear of material removal!

skiboy
    Free Member

aluminium will always oxidise unless you use a grade like 2000,

as the owner of 2,!!! yes 2 pairs of xtr cranks i can confirm they are in fact made of a mix of Crappite and costalotium, all woven round papermache and lovingly finished with some cheese spread,

not really they are duralium, which is a cheese spread from from spain, i think they export it to japan, where is then sold on to shimano as a metal paste?

i have noticed that you feet don't even need to touch the outer arm to remove the finish on these, i think just the suggestion is enough to scour the arms.. 😐

Alb
    Free Member

I get the impression that a few of the posters on here would rather carry their mtb over/around a muddle rather than ride through it.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘XT HTII crankarms – what are they made of?’ is closed to new replies.