Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • XP repair question
  • Mounty_73

Can you use another XP CD to peform a repair ?

I have all the license keys & CD’s etc, we just cant find the recovery CD for the pc that is having problems.

uplink
    Free Member
    ourkidsam
    Free Member

Repair or re-install?

Repair – I don’t *think* it matters

Re-install – the disk needs to match up to your licence code (Professional or Home and with the correct Service Pack). So if your computer came with XP Home SP2, then that’s the disk you need.

Mounty_73

Just a repair.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

You might want to check but I think any old XP disk will do

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

If you have a note of your product key, then any old XP disk will do.
    We do it all the time in our workshop.

glenh
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother with a repair if I was you.

Just re-install. Far more likely to actually fix what ever problem you have.

Shakey
    Free Member

wouldn’t bother with a repair if I was you.

Just re-install. Far more likely to actually fix what ever problem you have.

In my experience the repair is very successful and can be done with any XP CD. Also, a lot less hassle than a re-install as no need to back-up.

Mounty_73

I have used repair on a few systems, but I wasnt sure if I could use another CD on a XP repair.

The repair is usually successful, so I will try that as its only explorer I am having problems with.

Cougar

I’d concur with what Sam said. What’s the issue?

Shakey
    Free Member

The repair is pretty good if you have problems with corrupted files. What problems are you having with Explorer?

Mounty_73

IE8 is causing the browser windows to lock up…firefox runs ok…

The user needs IE8 before anyone suggests other browsers 🙂

Also some dll files have been corrupted and need replacing.

Shakey
    Free Member

I would try a repair but sounds a bit more complicated. Is it fully up-to-date with updates and have you reset IE in case its an add-on thats causing the problem?

Mounty_73

I have completed the repair, the os has gone back to SP1 and various software now has issues.

So IE is now version 6. Just running all the XP updates to see what happens.

Shakey
    Free Member

Ah, the repair will just overwrite the OS so will need to be patched. Should be okay though!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘XP repair question’ is closed to new replies.