Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Wow that IS short! Slaphead content.
  • blokeuptheroad

I’ve been ‘shaving’ my head for yonks, or rather missus Bloke has. Once every week to ten days with hair clippers on zero. Trouble is she doesn’t like doing it, moans about it and I have to nag her. Whenever I do it myself with the clippers I tend to miss bits and look even more of a scarecrow than usual. I made a vague mental note a while back to buy a proper head shaver I could use myself, after seeing a few people on here recommend the Remington RX5.

It arrived today and I just used it for the first time. Jayzus it’s short! As in cue ball short! Turns out zero on the old clippers is nothing of the sort, who knew?! Mrs bloke visibly recoiled at my new appearance but decided on balance, that if it got her out of barber duties she could live with it.

It’s going to take a bit of getting used to tbh. There is no way my old 1 or 2mm of fuzz was insulating my head, but it now feels really cold and I’m unreasonably self conscious about my new look 😄

So slapheads, do you prefer a bit of fuzz or are you right down to the wood every time?

funkmasterp

I shave mine two or three times per week with a razor. None of this electrical gubbins here. Tried it and it leaves stubble. Personally I think once it gets to a point when your hair covers less than half your head no hair is the only viable option. Easier to make sure you’ve got it all with a razor too.

shermer75
    Free Member

Kuco

I keep meaning to try to shave mine as I buzz-cut it every couple of days but don’t really trust myself shaving my own head. Have been looking at head shavers and have thought about asking for recommendations.

funkmasterp

Headblade or Omnishave are the best I’ve come across since I started shaving my bonce. That’s over twenty years ago now. The Omnishave is better all round, takes some getting used to the correct technique and doesn’t get all hair from around/above the ears. Headblade better at overall coverage but blades don’t last as long.

blokeuptheroad

I keep meaning to try to shave mine as I buzz-cut it every couple of days but don’t really trust myself shaving my own head. Have been looking at head shavers and have thought about asking for recommendations.

The RX5 is far easier to use yourself than the various hair clippers and beard trimmers I’ve used before. It’s got 5 cutting heads so a bit of a swirling motion means you’re very unlikely to miss bits. To touch, you might get it a tiny bit shorter with a razor but visibly there’s no difference – it really does cut it that short. On first sight it looks a good bit of kit and does the job but obviously I can’t comment on reliability just yet. £60 on Amazon.

abingham

I wet shave with a double edged razor twice a week. I should do it more regularly really but it is a bit of a faff, don’t like doing it in the shower (ooh err missus!) so it’s a sink of hot water and a mirror kind of affair.

CountZero

I’ve got a Remington trimmer, can’t remember what model but it’s got a curved cutter and a variety of combs that clip on. I do mine once a week, with the 1.5mm comb, takes about ten minutes and is a doddle to do.
    My first go at doing my own was with my beard trimmer, because that was all I had handy, and I continued to use it for a couple of months until I could find someone, anyone, who could sell me a proper trimmer!

razorrazoo

I’ve just got an RX5 off the back of the last thread, to be honest I prefer it short short  and the RX5 is so much less hassle 3 times a week with no mess now than clippers once a week with mess to clear up. I am fortunate to have a good shaped head though.

blokeuptheroad

I wet shave with a double edged razor twice a week. I should do it more regularly really but it is a bit of a faff, don’t like doing it in the shower (ooh err missus!) so it’s a sink of hot water and a mirror kind of affair.

When I shaved my face I used a DE razor for years. Bearded now but I still use one to shave my neck line occasionally. I’m not sure I’d trust myself to shave my head with it and it would definitely take a lot longer than the RX5.

binners

So slapheads, do you prefer a bit of fuzz or are you right down to the wood every time?

Down to the wood, every other day with Babyliss crew cut thing with no guard. Sod faffing about with clippers!

I have a large collection of hats 😃

shermer75
    Free Member

I didn’t know that this was still a thing, looked it up, yes it is. Much more environmentally friendly too, as it turns out, as it doesn’t need single use plastics

abingham

Much more environmentally friendly too, as it turns out, as it doesn’t need single use plastics

That was really why I made the switch, after using Bics for a while before. It takes a bit of practice, and luckily I don’t have too many awkward bits on my head, but I still nick myself every now and again even after several years doing it, but that’s usually only when I have a fresh blade in.

I use a Merkur Futur which is adjustable so you can increase (or decrease) the amount of blade exposed as you get used to it. It gets it properly smooth too.

Bazz

I’m not brave enough to go full slaphead, i’d look like a boiled egg for starters! I’m a number 1 guy once a week.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

RX5 Remington… i have a head with multiple dinks and the size of a bucket yet it seems to do a good job.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m still only on grade 1 which is apparently 3mm.

chakaping
    Free Member

Zero with the clippers about once a month, or whenever I can get someone to do it for me.

Prefer a bit of fuzz anyway TBH.

joshvegas
    Free Member

joshvegas
    Free Member

Binners has it.

Now discontinued but it’s fantastic.

I didn’t know that this was still a thing, looked it up, yes it is. Much more environmentally friendly too, as it turns out, as it doesn’t need single use plastics

And sooooooooo much cheaper. 9.99 for 100 blades anyone?

abingham

And sooooooooo much cheaper. 9.99 for 100 blades anyone?

Well, you pay for what you get with blades, the sharpest ones I’ve tried are Feather Platinum at £3.85 for 10.

Still, call it £0.40p per blade, each blade lasting around 6 full head and face shaves until it dulls making it around £0.06 per shave. Not bad economics really…

Superficial
    Free Member

I do my own with clippers, and get my wife to do a quick once-over to catch the bits I’ve missed.

singlespeedstu

Anyone tried these yet?
    https://www.babyliss.co.uk/the-crewcut%3A-diy-self-cut-hair-clipper-7758U.html
    seems to be the new version of what Binners linked to?
    Normally get Mrsstu to do my noggin one a week with normal clippers with no guard, but would like to do it myself every couple of days as I hate it when its got a few days growth on it.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Wow that IS short! Slaphead content.’ is closed to new replies.