Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Would you wear the "wrong" perfume?
  • allthegear
    Free Member

Okay, so something about Lynx mention in the Girlfriend Advice thread got me thinking…

My ex gf used to have a habit of wearing “man’s” perfumes; latterly the Chanel Allure one I bought her. The thing is; it really did work on her. It’s not that she was particularly butch or anything, no matter how much she might have thought she was.

Perfumes either work or not based on a combination of the scent and your own scent. it’s not just a case of splashing on product-x and that’s how you’ll smell.

So, if it turned out that a scent meant for the other half really worked on you, would you?

(and yeah, yeah, I’m not asking about other things, clothes, whatever – I really don’t want to know!)

Rachel

weeksy

no, that’s crazy talk.

why would it work ? it’s ridiculous.

ton

I wear the wifes ck one.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

CK One is meant to be unisex, IIRC. An ex wore it. She smelled lovely.

Mrs CFH and I share several, such as Jo Malone’s delicious Lime, Basil and Mandarin.

The key is, does it work on you as a person? If so, go for it!

bearnecessities

I like to think I’m a pretty confident chap, but I’d draw a line at dabbing Estee Lauder on my chops.

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

man wearing perfume = nonce

ton

CK One is meant to be unisex

just like me then…….. 😆

gonefishin
    Free Member

Perfumes are the most ridiculous thing to split along gender lines so why not. That being said I’m not a fan of strong smells in general and floral ones in particular.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

just like me then……..

#strangestbonerrightnow

rhid

I sometimes borrow my GFs deoderant and smell amazing. Does that count?

LoCo
    Free Member

No, and I’d be annoyed if my wife nicked any of my occasional stuff as it’s ridculously exspensive but last me about 2 years so justifiable, as general just smell of oil. 😉

binners

My natural pheromones have cats wailing within a half mile radius, and have even been known to set off car alarms.

To suppress this I need something pungent enough to overpower them

mrbelowski
    Free Member

I let my missus borrow my GT85 sometimes

jota180
    Free Member

allthegear
    Free Member

No – it really doesn’t last two years. it goes off quicker than that…

chewkw
    Free Member

If it does not smell good on the person why wear it?

I mean if the perfume is good then regardless of whether you are male or female it will smell good.

I use rose scented shower gel which is meant for women apparently but I smell good that’s all I care or at least that’s what others told me …

However, if your diet is very heavy on red meat/dairy then you will give out certain strong odour (of rotten meat) regardless of how much perfume you shower or pour on yourself.

I used to work with a S. African colleague whose diet was mainly red meat of all kinds … guess what … everyone could smell him miles away.

😯

edit: I only wear after shave … think I got a bottle of CK somewhere that I never wear.

globalti
    Free Member

A few perfume facts:

CK One is unisex, it’s a very nice perfume loaded with amber. Smell your shirt the day after wearing CK One to get the amber, a lovely zingy zesty smell.

Most perfumes don’t interact with your body odour because they are just too strong. However some people do find that certain smells work better on them and that’s mostly to do with diet – in parts of the world where spicy food is eaten, you will never find spicy oriental perfumes like Opium or Shalimar; most people use florals.

Some “masculine” poerfumes like JPG Le Male and Rochas Pour Homme are so feminine that women can often wear them. Others like the vetiverts and colognes are unisex and some aromatic fresh masculine fragrances like 212 for Men smell good on women.

The great smell of WD40 is actually a very very low cost Shalimar.

Keep expensive perfumes in the fridge to prevent spoilage by UV light and oxidation.

Never re-apply a perfume during the evening because you think it is getting weak; it’s your nose that is becoming saturated. Some raw materials like the synthetic musk used in White Musk are fatiguing. If you reapply a perfume you destroy the “sillage” which is the evolution of the notes as it evaporates and you will overwhelm everybody else in the room.

Chanel V was created in 1921 and is still in the world top 10 selling perfumes, which makes it a design classic.

Late PS: Africans have more and bigger sweat glands than Caucasians (Europe and India) and they have more and bigger than Asians (China) so Africans generally use stronger perfumes. Meat does not rot in your guts, you would die if it did.

mos

@ Rusty, do you mean nonce or ponce? I could understand ponce but nonce?

neilwheel
    Free Member

I don’t even wear the “right” one.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Esme
    Free Member

My favourite perfume was allegedly worn by Margaret Thatcher 👿 , so I’d class that as “the wrong perfume”

ourmaninthenorth

I think I would. But until recently I wouldn;t have.

TBH, until recently I’d never found a perfume for me that I liked. Now I have (Creed Aventus). So if there was a “female” branded perfume but it smelled great on me, then I’d be happy to wear it.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I used to live with a girl who was exceptionally attractive. She wore Davidoff Old Spice and it worked very well for her. She didn’t half pull some munters, mind. Rich ones though.

binners

Esme – I would have had Maggie down as more of a ….

woman?

jekkyl

Men wearing feminine fragrances….. Perfumed Ponce!

senorj

I like all my missus’ perfumes ,bar one,which smells like an old ladies scent.
    I made the mistake of telling her that fact……….
    We(she) approve mine together 🙂

globalti
    Free Member

Unfortunately EU legislation has killed Brut, along with a few other classics.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Like the difference between diet coke and coke zero I suspect what’s on the bottle is more important than what is in it much of the time.

woody2000

“The Wrong Perfume” – is that the next Wallace & Gromit movie? Gromit starts wearing Eau de Lady Dog, suddenly Wallace finds himself inexplicably attracted to his Dog Friday?

🙂

globalti
    Free Member

Some technical challenges the perfume industry still hasn’t cracked:

A vanilla molecule that doesn’t turn body care products brown.

The smells of fresh bread, coffee and new car.

A molecule or compound that is genuinely sexually attractive.

jota180
    Free Member

The only thing I ever bother with is deodorant and then it’s just whichever one I pick up at the supermarket, I don’t bother trying them first.
    Usually something like Nivea or Gillette or Sure etc.

chewkw
    Free Member

globalti – Member

Unfortunately EU legislation has killed Brut, along with a few other classics.

Whhhaatt! Explain! 😯

Brut is amongst my favorite after shave.

globalti
    Free Member

Many old classics like Brut have been badly emasculated by EU legislation, especially those which relied heavily on synthetic musks (most of the smell of Brut!) because the EU has decided certain musks are either carcinogenic or bio-accumulative.

annebr
    Free Member

I occasionally wear Aramis 🙂

chipster

Globalti, did you Google all that shit, or do you “just know”? 😯
    Edit; For the op, I never have worn the wife’s perfume, wouldn’t have a problem with wearing it, though. But then, I’ve got bottles of fairly expensive aftershaves that I rarely remember to use. 😳
    I use Issey Miyake deodorant sticks.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I think they all smell like crap

chewkw
    Free Member

globalti – Member

Many old classics like Brut have been badly emasculated by EU legislation, especially those which relied heavily on synthetic musks (most of the smell of Brut!) because the EU has decided certain musks are either carcinogenic or bio-accumulative.

Thank you for the info. I see …

Carcinogenic? Do they mean that we are going to accidentally drink a bottle of it … 🙄

I suggest they ban all plastic containers (BPA whatever) for food stuff even when they food safe … hot food and plastic … no no …

annebr – Member

I occasionally wear Aramis

Yes, I forgot about Aramis. It is one of my favourite but for whatever reason I never bought one but bought a CK instead many years ago. Not sure why and I think my CK is about 20 years old … still nearly full. I blame the advertisement.

duntstick
    Free Member

I can remember using ‘fahrenheit’ smelled like parma violets. My girlfriend also had some smelly stuff that smelled just like parma violets.

Same thing with a sandalwood smell

Same with some lemony Armani stuff

All just industry standard smellies

Just marketing innit

zbonty

+1 for CFH choice of the Jo Malone one-that often gets the thumbs up from the fairer sex

chewkw
    Free Member

duntstick – Member

I can remember using ‘fahrenheit’ …

That thing is reek and gives me a headache. 😯

That’s not a perfume but industrial chemical …

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Would you wear the "wrong" perfume?’ is closed to new replies.