Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Would you walk? Job dilemma.
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

I'll be leaving sooner rather than later I think. The idea of running portable workshop isn't new to me, I did it years ago as a student in London. It worked there, but here you go to the shop, people who ride on the road don't fix their bikes, it MUST be done at a shop. It's a cultural thing.
    Working in coffee chains, I like it, but only at the managerial level. If I could get my own store than I'd do it, but not as a barista. It probably won't work out, but why shouldn't I give them my CV?
    I never worked in a factory, never ever. At the moment it seems the safest, most secure employment here. I'm trying to get a decent QI position (sic!) as it pays well. When the times change I'll probably move. I say probably as you never know, I might enjoy the work.
    As for the shop making losses, it's occurred to me it might be the idea. Some dodgy mates from the North, some strange individuals popping in. It might be that or he just doesn't have a clue how to make it work. If I were to bet on one of these options I'd go for the latter.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I've been fired without explanation given this morning. Time to join the http://www.joblesstrackworld.com
    What a bummer! Time to move on 👿

wwaswas

I've been fired without explanation given this morning.

I'd be thinking of talking to a lawyer, even if only to frighten him into giving you some form of payment in lieu etc.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I've started the legal joy, appointment booked for this Thursday. At least it'll keep me busy 😀

wwaswas

Good luck with the other things you were looking at – hope one turns out to be what you want and need.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Cheers! There's always STW if I have too much time on hand…
    Joys of life!

donsimon
    Free Member

Hairychested – Member

I've been fired without explanation given this morning. Time to join the http://www.joblesstrackworld.com
    What a bummer! Time to move on

Ex-boss is a singletrack lurker?

Hard luck chapster. Working in a factory isn't going to be so bad. I worked in a couple during my uni years. If the management are ok the culture of the workforce will be fine and if your mate enjoys it, I don't think that'll be a problem. I've worked 12 hour shifts and they're not a problem, even worked 16 hour days when needed.
    You'll look back in a couple of years at the best thing that happened to you.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I know I will, I really do. Thing is it's inconvenient and that's it. I've spoken to many people and he seems to've broken the law. Will see what. if anything can be done.
    I'll be going to other factories tomorrow, shops will get visited, recruitment agents will be contacted. There's plenty of work, I just need to persevere.

vinnyeh

bad situation, I'm sorry. Did you move your family across as well?
    What does 'fired without explanation' mean? Did you just get told that you weren't needed any more? Has there been any bad blood between the pair of you? Have you been on the books and getting paid as an employee?

Good that you've got somebody looking into it.

Hairychested
    Free Member

On arrival this morning I was told my P45 was sent and I had no job there. I was wondering if telling him anything was clever but decided against it. Why? I knew he was breaking the law and I'd be getting my own back.
    I hope to hear no more from him, he isn't worthy of my time. I'll be fine, he'll be fine, my mates will go elsewhere. It'll hit him where it hurts – pocket.
    BTW If he reads this, who cares. I won't call him names, I won't swear at him. All I'll do is advise people to stay away from the shop. There are other places where your bike can be mistreated 😉

Twin
    Free Member

Better pull this thread ASAP. There was a similar discussion a couple of weeks ago regarding the font on an STWers clients' website and some ****t sent the thread to the email address on the site. Consequently the client saw it and binned the guy doing the website design. Wouldn't want you to get canned in the same way if you decide not to leave.

edit

Just read page 2. Sorry mate. But the sentiment stands for anyone else….. be careful about giving details about sensitive subjects cos not everyone who reads these posts has a conscience.

Hairychested
    Free Member

True. I've been offered help finding a decent job from so many people it's impossible to be downbeat. It'll work out.
    If everybody took criticism the way Hora does it the world would be a better place (that includes me too, for the record).

Tinbred
    Free Member

Sounds like your heart knew what it wanted a long time before your head agreed with it.
    Once you know you are finished at a job it is time to get out. In "allegedly" breaking the law your ex-boss may have done you a favour if you were going to go anyway. You might get a payout that could kick start the mobile business.

Good luck with the job hunt. Sounds like you have the determination to get something pretty quickly. Did some food factory work a few years ago on shifts. The trick is to get in a good team and work your nuts off. Doors will soon open.

sv
    martinxyz
    Free Member

delete the thread if you plan on taking this further (or at least shave yer chest if he comes looking for you!) why not go for an interview at realcycles? ;O)

Hairychested
    Free Member

I'm not relocating again after under a ear. My kid has settled here, as has my wife. I'll step away from bike shops for now to rekindle my love for riding. I might do a few hours every now and then locally but that's it.
    Another mate is taking my CV to work, they're recruiting and I might stand a good chance. Otherwise it'll be a job somewhere, work to live not live to work.
    BTW Yesterday I learnt my ex-boss offered then my job to a lad who works at the LBS some 6 months ago. Got the cold shoulder. Sweet, innit?

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Would you walk? Job dilemma.’ is closed to new replies.