• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Dibbs.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Would you still ride with this tyre on??
  • cheekyget
    Free Member

Hi all
    I got this tyre last summer.. Vredestein fortezza senso extreme weather , I also use slime skin tyre liners , yesterday on the turbo I noticed these nicks in the rear tyres ( 110psi)
    Would you still ride with this tyre ?

STATO
    Free Member

Ive put a patch on the inside of cuts like that before. Eventually wear through and lead to puncture again but last quite a while. If using on the turbo id guess they would puncture quicker as its a lot of deformation over the roller and the edges of the cut may rub on the tube and wear it away.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What STATO said, and seal the cuts with superglue. They’re pretty normal damage on road tyres.

aP
    Free Member

Just let the air out and put a blob of super glue in each cut (making sure that there’s no glass or Flint in it), leave for a couple of hours then pump up again. I’ve done this with road tyres for the last 20 years with no problems at all.

Klunk
    Free Member

shoe goo works reasonably well, i also use cut sections of a gp4s to patch from the inside.

trail_rat
    Free Member

having looked at a google image of what that tire looked like new….

no i wouldnt ride taht tire off the turbo….. using it on the turbo has worn the centre down flat and it will handle like a blind donkey down the back stairs…..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not. a. chance.

philjunior
    Free Member

I would. Chuck some layers of gaffer tape on the inside if you’re worried about it coming apart.

aP’s suggestion sounds good too, I may try it at some point!

cheekyget
    Free Member

Thanks guys….going to try aP’s tips too

Btw I never had a puncture with this tyre …just the stone damage

globalti
    Free Member

Has anybody ever tried to seal a cut in a tyre with Superglue? It doesn’t work! It’s another one of those bollocky myths like deflating your tyres when you fly and drinking honey and lemon to cure a cold.

Try patching them from the inside; I get a lot of extra miles out my lovely comfortable but fragile Veloflex Corsas by doing this.

DrP

I’ve done this with road tyres for the last 20 years with no problems at all.

20 years on a tyre..must be some sort of record..

DrP

philjunior
    Free Member

Has anybody ever tried to seal a cut in a tyre with Superglue

aP has.

(If you mean a massive gash it won’t obviously work, but you can make a pretty good solution with some thread, superglue and gaffa tape – I did this after I got a gash in a pretty new tyre’s sidewall)

trail_rat
    Free Member

the superglue things only meant for sealing holes that have cut the outside but not penetrated the carcass- stops shit sticking in the hole and cutting the tube at a later date.

its not for sticking tyres back together – thats just people being hopeful/deluded.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’d quite happily repair a MTB tyre like that, but coming off on a road descent at 40 odd mph for the sake of 20 quid for a new tyre seems slightly less appealing.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Would you still ride with this tyre on??

Depends how stupid you’re going to feel when it lets you down 30 miles from home and it’s started to rain. 😉

Dibbs
    Free Member

Would you still ride with this tyre on??

Depends how stupid you’re going to feel when it lets you down 30 miles from home and it’s started to rain. 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Would you still ride with this tyre on??’ is closed to new replies.