Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Would you employ this bloke?
  • wwaswas

He’s a freelance software developer with a sideline in being a **** on social media. He’s being errm, ‘defiant’ on twitter today so clearly stands by his comments.

Do you check potential employees/contractor social media and would someone posting this sort of stuff stop you engaging them?

For me I don’t think I’d want to have my company associated with him but if he’s not breaking the law is that a fair judgement to make?

In recent days he has dubbed progressives as “two-faced lying scum”, called Islam the “religion of hate” and wrote “the state have failed, so a member of the public launches the #CounterJihad” in response to the terror attack on Finsbury Park Mosque attack.

He also suggested that news of the mosque attack should be spread to Calais to deter other refugees coming into the country.

Other comments are simply too offensive for The Argus to print.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/15360487.Fury_over_ex_Ukip_man___s_Ramadan_tweets_investigated_by_police_as_a_hate_crime

[Mod edit: link fixed]

nwmlarge
    Free Member

it’s a no from me

legend
    Free Member

Doesn’t seem like he’s the right fit for my team

Pigface
    Free Member

Hell no

kilo

Who is he on stw? The link is borked

oldracer
    Free Member

I guess the question is how good is he & how badly do you need him?

If the answer is not he’s brilliant & he’s the only one who can do it….I’d find someone else & let someone else employ the Stormfront ****t.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Pretty common now to check social media posts for a potential employee. Can be quite amusing, especially in interviews.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No from me, his social media profile tells me he could be speaking to somebody in authority soon enough

philjunior
    Free Member

I wouldn’t do a huge social media search on potential employees, but if I’d found that, I wouldn’t employ the guy. It doesn’t even come down to reputation of the business – he’s a hard-of-thinking nutter.
    Edit to clarify, even if he was very good technically, I still wouldn’t want to employ someone as idiotic and disruptive as that.

wwaswas

I’ve redone the link – it’s stw that’s broken, not the link 😉

I’m not looking to employ him, btw, but he has a skillset that we might consider.

rocketman
    Free Member

mrs rocket recruits for a big multinational if there’s any questionable social media it’s goodbye

GrahamS

Apart from anything else, he’s a Freelance Software Developer who doesn’t have the common sense or knowledge to lock down his privacy settings on Facebook.

That would be alarm bells before I even got to the content of his posts!

graemecsl
    Free Member

If I needed the skills he had than yes and try to change his views by pointing out maybe some of his work colleagues who he may come to like have opposing views for instance. It is wrong to walk away from views you disagree with, better to engage and debate, wars get started like that.

lunge

Nope, I always do a social media trawl when hiring, if they post nasty/dodgy stuff then they will get a rejection.

philjunior
    Free Member

It is wrong to walk away from views you disagree with, better to engage and debate, wars get started like that.

In life, I agree. I’d go to the pub with him. But I wouldn’t employ him, as there’s work to be done, and the less challenging of a socially inept idiot’s world views that has to be done in order to complete that work, the better.

kimbers

GrahamS – Member
    Apart from anything else, he’s a Freelance Software Developer who doesn’t have the common sense or knowledge to lock down his privacy settings on Facebook.

THIS !

his bigotry would be enough to make him very hard to work with, even if you dont have any muslims in your team hes offensive enough that theres gonna be problems

that hes stupid enough to shout about it on social media just illustrates that hes best avoided

Denis99
    Free Member

No, he won’t fit with the rest of the people you have and will probably just be a pain to deal with in the future.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

No. Had I considered him for a role and then discovered his extremist attitudes I’d probably also make a point of saying the reason he hasn’t got the job was that the company would not want to be associated with that extremist point of view.

SaxonRider

Do you check potential employees/contractor social media and would someone posting this sort of stuff stop you engaging them?

Yes and yes.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Will confess to not hiring people based on Social Media “evidence”.

maccruiskeen

What do you mean by ’employ’ if you’re describing him as ‘freelance’? Has he applied for.job with you? Or are you just considering whether to buy his services?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

A no from me also.

sillysilly
    Free Member

Can’t see CV but unless he can save your life as a company, you need him for a very short time period and can get him to work remotely under NDA, be very careful. I’ve found when running companies – even just one tiny fleck of poo in your tasty bowl of ice cream will put everyone off – both inside and out. Full background / culture (Are they a good fit for your company values / ethics / team) social media and GIT checks are a must.

wwaswas

What do you mean by ’employ’ if you’re describing him as ‘freelance’? Has he applied for.job with you? Or are you just considering whether to buy his services?

To reiterate he’s not someone I’m considering employing.

I tend to take the view that we employ the skills of freelances for the duration of their contracts so whilst they’re not ’employees’ they’re still employed, if you see what I mean.

I take similar care with freelance staff as I do permanent ones when it comes to deciding whether to take them on, perhaps more given the extra cost.

GrahamS

GIT checks are a must

Well he’s clearly a git so that’s a fail right there.

bodgy
    Free Member

Nope.

spacemonkey

Nope, he wouldn’t get a look in here. Quite rightly too.

scuttler

@SurroundedbyHills

Will you also confess to hiring people based on Social Media “evidence” 😉

PJM1974
    Free Member

^This, mainly.

Freedom of speech doesn’t mean that you’ve infinite leeway to be a knobber.

mooman
    Free Member

graemecsl – Member
    If I needed the skills he had than yes and try to change his views by pointing out maybe some of his work colleagues who he may come to like have opposing views for instance. It is wrong to walk away from views you disagree with, better to engage and debate, wars get started like that.

About the only comment so far I agree with.

Whilst I agree the person is probably naive/ignorant .. or just plain stupid to still be posting his honestly held opinions/values on social media.
    I think the better option is to engage and explain the possible repercussions of his actions; if he then changes his opinion – a big win … if he stops writing/airing his views/opinions on social media, then that too is a kinda win (unless he just does what probably the majority of people on social media now do, and does not make their true views/opinions public; thus allowing their distorted opinions/views to fester unchallenged).

wwaswas

if he then changes his opinion – a big win … if he stops writing/airing his views/opinions on social media, then that too is a kinda win (unless he just does what probably the majority of people on social media now do, and does not make their true views/opinions public; thus allowing their distorted opinions/views to fester unchallenged).

Looking at his Twitter this morning post his Police interview I don;t think he’s going to a) change his views or b) stop posting them on social media.

He was a UKIP candidate 7 years ago – he’s been a swivel eyed loon for some time.

tjagain

Nope – I wouldn’t employ him and indeed in my world ( healthcare) he would not be employable anyway being in clear breach of the standards expected of healthcare workers

nickc

Calling anyone “scum” kinda makes you a bit unemployable really, doesn’t it?

wl
    Free Member

Nope. He might be good at his job but he sounds like too much of a dick, and a potential liability.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Calling anyone “scum” kinda makes you a bit unemployable really, doesn’t it?

We would never do that sort of thing on here.

Unless we were talking about gypsies, politicians, tabloid journalists, car dealers………………

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/search.php?q=scum

kimbers

About the only comment so far I agree with.

Whilst I agree the person is probably naive/ignorant .. or just plain stupid to still be posting his honestly held opinions/values on social media.
    I think the better option is to engage and explain the possible repercussions of his actions; if he then changes his opinion – a big win … if he stops writing/airing his views/opinions on social media, then that too is a kinda win (unless he just does what probably the majority of people on social media now do, and does not make their true views/opinions public; thus allowing their distorted opinions/views to fester unchallenged).

really?

he sounds like an HR departments nightmare, why would you want to employ a wrong’un just top set him on the straight and narrow, thats not your responsibility

more to the point his views are so abhorrent to most that his inability to keep them to himself is likely to disrupt your company!

elzorillo
    Free Member

Depends if he’s good at is job, or cheap.. preferably both. I know plenty of people who have a job simply because they are of the same political persuasion as their employer and woefully bad at it.

enfht
    Free Member

A consultant airing whatever opinions they have is entirely their own lookout, whereas anyone in publicly funded positions should be strictly banned from airing personal opinions under the guise of the positions they occupy. That said, academia is rife with leftwing politics on social media. The difference is their views are also shared by their jerk circles and they don’t risk their jobs doing so, it actually has the opposite effect.

kimbers

A consultant airing whatever opinions they have is entirely their own lookout, whereas anyone in publicly funded positions should be strictly banned from airing personal opinions under the guise of the positions they occupy. That said, academia is rife with leftwing politics on social media. The difference is their views are also shared by their jerk circles and they don’t risk their jobs doing so, it actually has the opposite effect.

I think the heat is getting to people at the moment?

theres some right bonkers stuff coming from the righties today!

hels
    Free Member

I had somebody make a racist comment in a job interview a while back. They were the kind of person who is stupid enough to make a racist comment in an interview, so failed all the tests in any case.

The dude even asked for feedback, he was that lacking in self-awareness. Claimed he hadn’t said what he said, luckily there were two interviewers, we both heard it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Would you employ this bloke?’ is closed to new replies.