Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Would it be Crazy to Buy a Soul Instead of a Solaris??
  • nwill1
    Free Member

So I had been deciding between a Soul and Slackline…I’d come to the decision I’d go with the Soul. I went along to my local dealer to strike a deal…however I walked out even more confused…SOUL or SOLARIS??

Plan was to swap my build over from another 26″ hardtail and add a Reverb… However the guy in the shop suggested that the Solaris would be a better bike for my intended purpose.

My dilemma is that the cost of a Soul frame and Reverb would be circa £700…due to needing wheels and forks I’d be looking at twice the cost (less what I could recoup on my forks).

Question is how different are they…how much better is the Solaris and if I don’t get the Solaris will I regret it???

fathomer

Can’t you get a demo to help you decide? 29ers aren’t for everyone!

akira

What’s your intended purpose?

scotroutes

Which is?

Euro
    Free Member

What’s you favourite football team?

Northwind

(I have not yet ridden a Solaris but) I doubt either is better, just different. General reception of the Soul has been better than the Solaris but they both inspire the fanboyism we expect of all Cotics not called Roadrat so… Get the one you want. I loved my Soul, stunning allrounder.

NormalMan

Any chance of having a demo at the dealer?

I ride a Solaris but nearly bought the Soul 275 as I had always liked the idea of the Soul and was going to keep my previous 29er plus 26er fs.
    In the end my preference for wagon wheels won out and I bought the Solaris instead. This was based on my 26er not seeing the light of day since buying my original 29er, etc.

I’ve not looked back but then I’m a big wheel convert!

nwill1
    Free Member

Ok…so demo wise the dealer has said I can take the Solaris out no probs but they no longer have any Souls built as demo bikes so no comparison.

Ridding wise it’s for local XC fun, quite tame really. Trail centres, rougher trails or bigger adventures I’d use my 26″ Five.

I am replacing a Charge Blender so the option of a bit of 4X/pump tracks/messing about would be nice but I’ve decided far from essential. I’ve always been anti 29″ but I know him from old and used to ride BMX with him, we have similar styles (playful) and he was explaining it was much faster in all areas but switch backs.

chiefgrooveguru

Solaris doesn’t have the clearance for the big tyres (Soul has tons of space for mud) I prefer but apart from that I suspect it comes down to whether you prefer the feel of bigger or smaller wheels. I’ve only briefly ridden a mate’s Solaris but it’s a much bigger feeling bike than my Soul, which feels so nimble compared to my 27.5 6″ enduro compliant full-sus.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I have a BFe and love it, they are pretty similar to the soul iirc.

I am building a Solaris to complement it. It is too different a bike to replace the BFe. Go for the soul you won’t regret it if you never try the Solaris.

chiefgrooveguru

Just saw your post – take the demo Solaris out! Send it over some jumps. I’ve seen my mate’s Solaris fly over a few gaps but he’s very much a hit it fast and hang on jumper, there isn’t much finesse or movement in the air. 😉

corroded
    Free Member

It’ll come down to whether you want to pay to run two different wheel standards – two sizes of inner tube, tyre, fork etc.

bikeneil
    Free Member

I’ve had two Souls and now have a Solaris. I much prefer the Solaris for the riding I do. Which is old skool xc, trail centres and natural map routes etc. It’s faster, more comfortable and more fun. I don’t find any issues with it not being nimble etc. I have it set up tubeless, 2.25 rear tyre and 2.4 front with 120 X-Fusion Slide forks and it’s ace.

But this is just my opinion so if your dealer is offering you a demo Solaris to try I’d jump at it, then decide.

nwill1
    Free Member

It’ll come down to whether you want to pay to run two different wheel standards – two sizes of inner tube, tyre, fork etc.

It’s not the running cost that concern me but rather the initial outlay. In all honesty I went into this thinking is just spend a few hundred quid on a new frame, a 29″ rolling chassis is just shy of a complete new bike…not really what I want or can afford/justify. However on the flip side I don’t want to spend a load of cash now and then decide down the line to go 29″.

nwill1
    Free Member

Go for the soul you won’t regret it if you never try the Solaris.

I’m thinking this is wise!!

swanny853

Solaris isn’t that limited on tyre clearance- 2.2 rubber queens or smorgasbords fit fine for example but you will struggle with something like a hans dampf. This is a little dependent on your choice of front mech though.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I am fully signed up 26er and BFe owner so I’d say get the Soul as you have a 26 Five.

I’m a bit confused by your post as you suggest you would be moving bits over from another 26er but then say the Soul build is more than a Solaris ?

metalheart
    Free Member

I have a(n old) Soul and a Solaris.

The Solaris is pretty much first pick every time (the Soul has kinda become my ‘hack’ bike).

My riding is kind of like bikeneil’s.

If you have the opportunity to demo the Solaris then what is too lose in taking one? Presumably you’ll either like it or you won’t.

Fwiw another reason I prefer the Solaris is it has a slightly longer top tube and at a smidge under 6′ is the better fit for me on a medium.

mattjg
    Free Member

Ridding wise it’s for local XC fun, quite tame really. Trail centres, rougher trails or bigger adventures I’d use my 26″ Five.

As you already have a 5, get the Solaris as it’s more differenter.

rOcKeTdOg

soul 27.5

dilemma ended 🙂

nwill1
    Free Member

I’m a bit confused by your post as you suggest you would be moving bits over from another 26er but then say the Soul build is more than a Solaris ?

Sorry badly worded, the Solaris would be twice the price of the Soul due to needing new forks/wheels.

As you already have a 5, get the Solaris as it’s more differenter.

This is a big part or the dilemma…having a more different bike is kind of what appeals, but also caused more logistical issues, withy the soul I would be sharing wheels so massive help with storage…decisions decisions!

nwill1
    Free Member

soul 27.5

Defiantly not this…all of the extra cost for what…the emperor’s new clothes…additional cost for vey little gain IMHO

Euro
    Free Member

So I had been deciding between a Soul and Slackline…I’d come to the decision I’d go with the Soul.

Let me just remind you of your opening statement.

Surely it would be crazy to ignore your original decision based on what at shopkeeper says? Then there’s the additional extra cost? Then the big faster stupid wheels? If you want playful then only a diehard 29erist would suggest the solaris.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Euro has it. I don’t listen to buying advice from shopkeepers, as far as you know he has plenty solaris in stock, and wants rid.

iainc

I ride similar stuff to you nwill1 and have commented on some of your posts re Soul/5 sizing etc ,having got rid of my 5 last year and now having a Soul. I tried the Solaris and Soul back to back before purchasing May 13, and for tight woody natural singletrack the Soul was simply streets ahead in grin factor. The Solaris was better on wider, more open stuff and definately had the edge on longer epic type days out. My riding is much more the former though, so Soul was a no brainer in my case. I sometime wish I’d hung off for a 27.5 one, but doubt it would actually feel different, so more of a peer pressure/markeing thing !

adsh
    Free Member

Letting the 29er into the stable is not only immediately more expensive but likely to be even more so in the long run. Looking at a little wheel miles away from you is fine when it’s all you see. Once you start seeing a big wheel closer to you then going back to the little one feels pretty strange.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

Similar to you I have a Five but also a Solaris. Got to say its a great combination. Two very different bikes which I love. Strangely I find the Solaris is actually a LOT quicker than the Five with the fast flowing Moors/Dales/Llandegla & Marin type riding. I love taking the Solaris out on a ride then doing the same ride the next week on the Five. Interestingly though I do find the Five climbs better. The front end of the Solaris can get a bit light on very steep, technical stuff (120mm forks).

matther01
    Free Member

Nearly bought a Solaris…but glad I opted for the Soul. Saved me a fortune and never once regretted it. Just get the sizing right.

chestrockwell

You defo need to demo the Solaris as that should make up your mind. You’ll either click with 29″ or not.

My choice would defo be the 26″ 5 with 29″ Cotic if you can afford to change. Gives you two totally different rides instead of a HT version of your FS.

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

As the Solaris isn’t all that compliant I’d go for a full build off the shelf job from another company if I was getting a 29er.

I think the problem with the newer steel bikes is that the CEN rating has made them over built and there isn’t much of the steel zing. I rode an old Kona the other day and it was way more forgiving than my MK3 Soul.

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    I have both and both the latest frames.
    As said they ride very differently.
    Rode them both on the same ride at Hamsterley recently and both were fantastic
    However the Solaris was more stable and the Soul much more “zippy” and flighty.
    The Soul is approx 2lb lighter for a similar build (but lighter wheels)
    Wouldn’t like to have to chose between them if could only have one but you won’t be disappointed with either.
    It could just be down to cost and go for the Soul.
    Cheers
    Steve

chakaping
    Free Member

Demo the 29er then think about it. You’ll know pretty quickly if it’s for you IMO.

Just be prepared to find yourself upgrading to a Five 29 later down the road.

😉

mattjg
    Free Member

ah and on the original question:

Would it be Crazy to Buy a Soul Instead of a Solaris??

No, buy whatever you want, there is no bad decision here.

NormalMan

Wandering slightly OT (apologies) but Mattjg you seem to know your 29ers from what I’ve read on here. Have you had / tried a Solaris?

Interested to hear your view tbh.

mattjg
    Free Member

Perhaps I’m opinionated rather than knowledgeable ..

I can’t comment on the Solaris as I’ve never ridden one.

I find I’m very happy on the Canfield 29er geo, I own both – chain stays about 425mm (don’t go longer), HA about 68 degrees on 120 mm (tho I just put my Nimble 9 up to 140mm and that’s a keeper).

The trailsy geo suits me well, stable and fun on the fast alongs and downs, to my mind they still handle fine on XC and climbs too. The short chain stays keep them flickable and keep your weight back a little so you can plant the front).

I think the ‘hardcore’ side of this geo is over-marketed, I think they’re pretty good for most people most of the time. They’re just fun really and to my mind that’s what we’re here for.

I have owned:
    Singular Swift – versatile but didn’t push any buttons for me, would buy again for touring or bike packing
    Salsa Selma – SS rocketship

I’ve always enjoyed the Niners I’ve ridden (it was a multi day test on an MCR9 that got me hooked on to 29ers), and I’ve tried a Stooge, and if I ever decided I wanted rigid again that would be a no brainer.

HTH.

NormalMan

Thanks Matt. As my post earlier in the thread mentions, I’m a convert. My Solaris is my second 29er. I’m really pleased with it. My previous one was a Spesh Carve Expert (2013 model) which really won me over. I’m very impressed with what I’ve seen of Niner BTW. Stooge too.

Just a side note, in general, one thing I find is often, the general feedback/opinions I note before I buy a bike seem to change post purchase on here!

Anyway, back on topic, I hope the OP can grab a test ride. Look forward to hearing how he gets on.

nwill1
    Free Member

Thanks for all the feedback…the title ‘would I be crazy…’ Was based on the fact the Soul is a lot of £££’s for a 26″ if a 29″ is streets ahead and 26″ will be defunct in a few years, I don’t mind spending money but I take a buy once buy right philosophy (can’t afford to be any other way).

I’m super happy with the Five, not saying there aren’t light faster bikes but it’s a joy to ride and that’s what it’s about. I guess what’s started as a I’ll change my HT play bike frame so it is a better more versatile bike has turned into…’if I’m spending that much I’d better get it right!’

I will defo be getting a demo (it’s out this week so will need to wait till next) and I’m sure it will quickly send me in one direction or the other…only downside is if I go damm it it’s a 29″ I like the look of the Sherpa n+1.

mattjg
    Free Member

Sherpa looks sweet to me. All the Stantons do.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Would it be Crazy to Buy a Soul Instead of a Solaris??’ is closed to new replies.