Would an XS Bfe be too small for me?

Home Forum Bike Forum Would an XS Bfe be too small for me?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Would an XS Bfe be too small for me?
  • darren182

I ride a large bfe and I’m 5ft 11 it’s bang on for me so I’d say a xs may be to small

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

No if you want it to ride like a BMX.

Yes if you do.

I’m your height, had a small Soul, could easily have ridden a medium.

kevster

I like an all round bike, must be able to do all day riding, trail centres, short blasts etc.

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

in which case, yes.

kevster

I am dead on 5ft 7in, would the XS Bfe be too small for me?

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

I’m 5’6″ and an XS BFe is great for me as an all-rounder. Swapped a few emails with Paul@Cotic before I hit the button though. I have short legs and long arms if that’s a factor for you.

At 5’7″ I’d say you are on the cusp between XS and S though depending on your actual build. I have run 16″ bikes before (Trailstar and Mr Hyde) and they have been fine, although the BFe is a tad more chuckable.

MoseyMTB

Are you sure that BFe is right? The seat post is sure high.

I’m 5ft7 and would never go below a 16. The 16″ BFe was ok for me but so is the medium.

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

At 5’6″ I can get by with a 16″ but standover and manoeuvrability is marginal – OK for XC but not optimal for anything techy.

As I said, I asked Cotic directly about sizing and sent them measured and labelled images of previous bikes before Paul there recommended an XS. A year on I think he was right. Yup, it’s a long seat post, but nowhere near minimum insertion (and neither is the Reverb that’s replaced it).

Having said that, as I said for 5’7″ I reckon a S/16″ would be a safer bet. OP should probably get in touch with Paul/Cy directly to make sure though.

MoseyMTB

And if it fits you right who cares what I think.

I’ve got short legs, id love to give the xs a spin.

kevster

colournoise – what size inside leg are you? I’ve got under 30″ inside leg.

Premier Icon mattjg
    Subscriber

kevster I’m less than an inch taller than you, had a small Soul and probably should have had a medium.

IMO Paul at Cotic tends to recommend going smaller because he seems to value ‘chuckability’ most highly, and because from Cotic’s POV a small frame can be upsized with kit, a larger frame can’t be downsized.

you are a Small-Medium sized guy not an Extra Small guy. You don’t need an XS for general riding, unless you are doing BMX and if you’re doing BMX get a BMX.

Premier Icon bullroar
    Subscriber

I am 5’8″ with a 31″ inside leg, I have a small BFe and it is one of the best fitting bikes I have ever had.

My son has an XS BFe and I can ride it, it is a hoot downhill and for general messing about. It is problematic uphill because I can’t get the seat post high enough to get the full stroke and the top tube is a bit short. I have ridden it is as an all day bike but it is tiring.

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

@kevster. My inside leg is a smidge under 30″.

thedon

@ 5’7″ an XS is definitely too small unless you like long stems and layback seatposts.

kevster

I had a small PA with a 350mm post and never got to full extension on that? It’s only an inch difference?

Happy to run a lay back and linger stem (currently run a 50mm)?

kevster

Also felt the standover could be a bit better on the PA.

MoseyMTB

Is this because of the £200 offer on xs BFe’s?

tomlevell

Probably be fine.
    5’10” and ride a small.
    They are fairly long bikes for the sizes.

Measure/look up the size of your current bike.

Premier Icon wheelie
    Subscriber

I have a small Soul with 100mm fork and i’m 5’4″. Cleats in shoes in the furthest back position. Saddle set at centre of rail on an inline seatpost and centre of the bb to top of saddle 660mm. 70mm stem on 680mm wide bars. Fits perfectly!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Would an XS Bfe be too small for me?’ is closed to new replies.