Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • worn stanchions on fox 32 float forks
  • davmatt
    Free Member

hey looking for some advice , i have a pair of fox float 32 140mm 2009 forks which are showing a little bit of wear on the stanchions ( just the coating worn off nothing more sinister ) just above the top fork leg seal , ive heard that the forks are unuseable once this occurs ?? is this correct ? can they be repaired ? or if i service them and add new seals etc am i gonna get a reasonable level of performance ? any advice appreciated

Rickos
    Free Member

Mojo will tell you they need replacing which is usually about £200 extra on top of a service, so not far off £300 to get them back as good as new (Loco will be cheaper of course). In the meantime, do the usual 15 hour wiper seal service and use them until they die and replace them or until you feel like replacing the uppers.

davmatt
    Free Member

cheers rickos
    will service them and change seals i think and see what happens from there , they still ride well just now and not fnacying the £300 for new uppers . thanks again

rugbydick

Hi,
    I just had my 2008 Fox 32 Float RLC’s serviced at TF Tuning.
    I had the uppers replaced (steerer, crown and stanchions come as a single unit) as the service tech said that something was broken.

That cost £134 on top of the £89 for the service.

Much cheaper than a new set of forks.
    You could even ask about swapping them for some new Kashima ones!!

TheSwede
    Free Member

You can’t swop for kashima unless you buy new damper and air spring assemblies as the threads for the top caps are different. Clever fox. Just buy the new uppers (csu) some 10wt oil and a pillow pack of float fluid and do it your self. Easy peasy.
    http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Service/Forks/1.0_Fork_Disassembly.htm

bigrich

that’s what they do. get them on ebay and put the funds toward a new set. don’t waste cash on repairs/service.

el_diablo
    Free Member

Stick some Enduro Seals in, my Talas started to show signs of wear, (for a second time)over a year ago. I stuck some Enduro Seals in and continue to change the oil regularly and the wear has not got any worse. I’m going to run them ’til they die now!

JamieMc
    Free Member

Had the same with problem with a set of ’09 talas and ’08 F series. I serviced the Talas myself, fitted enduro seals and popped them on my better halfs bike and the stanchion wear hasnt seemed to get any worse. As for the F series, they are someone elses worry now 😈 I’d just run them till they are squirting oil then get a new set.

mrkbutty

“Just buy the new uppers (csu)”

Where can you buy them?

JamieMc
    Free Member

If you decide to buy new uppers you will need to replace the bushings in the fork lowers too as it is these that are worn and causing the wear on the stanchions.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Yep, took me about a year to put noticable grooves in the left leg of my 2009 Float RLs 🙁
    Admittedly, I only dropped the lowers off for an oil service at 6 month.

If anyone knows where to get a replacement upper, then that would be muchly appreciated, so that I could recover them.
    They’re great whilst they last but ultimately they are not fit for purpose IMHO.

I’ve since fitted a ‘zocci 44 RC3Ti. 3 years NO service required warranty 😀 … That’s more like it … and they’re way better 😀
    Coil performance at air weight… winner.

jhw
    Free Member

So let me get this straight

You splash £3-400 on a set of forks, or more, and it’s seen as perfectly acceptable for them just to wear out irreparably within a couple or three years?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

So let me get this straight

You splash £3-400 on a set of forks, or more, and it’s seen as perfectly acceptable for them just to wear out irreparably within a couple or three years?

Not exactly. More a case of they mandate you take them off and service them every 2 rides!!! or they won’t honour the warranty.
    Not fit for purpose 👿

wwaswas

it’s seen as perfectly acceptable

I’m not sure that’s quite the situation – it’s seen as ‘normal’ on forks that haven’t had the full recommeneded Fox servicing at the appropriate intervals (which is pretty much all of them).

tbh, for most people by the time the forks are beginning to wear like this they’re getting n a bit and most seem to be on second or subsequent owners.

the cost of a new csu and bushes is more than most of the affected forks are worth anyway.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

IMO this is a design fault with the bushings on Fox 32 series forks. It always has been. I would not buy any and would not buy a bike with them on on principle.

Fox know they have an issue, but have done nothing about it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘worn stanchions on fox 32 float forks’ is closed to new replies.