Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Worn seat tube please HELP
  • timthetinyhorse

Recently Iv noticed that my seat post has slowly been slipping down after a little while, Iv tried making sure the clamp is tight which is is so today I checked the seat post but there is no ware at all on it and its pretty new so I’m concerned that the inside bore of the seat tube is worn, Iv had a look and it looks to have some ware, is there anything I can do about this as I can’t afford to replace a frame 🙁

Thanks

wwaswas

If it’s a newish post I’d measure it, there’s often variations.

You could probably get a slightly over sized one to compensate, too.

tragically1969
    Free Member

How is the inside bore of a seat tube going to get worn ?

What frame is it and what clamp is it ?

Stupid question but you have got the opening of the seat clamp lined up with the slot in the seat tube…..

timthetinyhorse

Ah good shout! I will try sort out a vernier and give it a try! It’s a cheap SDG post so could be the issue! May try the old post back in for a bit or order another just to try

timthetinyhorse

The seat goes up and down a fair bit as its on my AM bike…..yes the clamp is lined up with the cut in the frame

wwaswas

you have got the opening of the seat clamp lined up with the slot in the seat tube

It won’t make any difference. In fact, the clamp on my specialized has etching to show that the slot should be the opposite side to the opening on the clamp.

[edit] if you have the old post then try that to be sure.

portlyone

Get some carbon paste or similar to aid the friction. Worked for me.

timthetinyhorse

Carbon paste sounds like a good idea, where do I get some…..I will try google 😀

retro83
    Free Member

cheap SDG post

To save your sanity, my one of those slipped, Hope Eternity and Thomson both okay.

timthetinyhorse

Ah great news that was beginning to worry about my frame!! Looks like it time for a new post!

mickolas
    Free Member

is it shiny? could you rough up the mating surface of the post to increase friction?

timthetinyhorse

Post looks like its just come from the shop however I suppose the inside of the seat tube is smothe….think I will try a different post before I rough the inside of the tube up though as that could cause a very small but still possibly problematic loss of material

neilnevill
    Free Member

Carbon paste or make a shim from a coke can. Net you’ll be surprised at how much shim will fit

retro83
    Free Member

timthetinyhorse – Member

Post looks like its just come from the shop however I suppose the inside of the seat tube is smothe….think I will try a different post before I rough the inside of the tube up though as that could cause a very small but still possibly problematic loss of material

Might as well buy carbon paste first, given it’s only a £5er. Worth a go Shirley?

danielgroves
    Free Member

Friend had this problem, new seat clamp solved it.

timthetinyhorse

Iv never even heard of carbon paste but suppose its worth a shot.

Thanks again guys

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Worn seat tube please HELP’ is closed to new replies.