Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Workstand – Park PCS 10 or…?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

As above really. Any reason NOT to buy a Park PCS10 for home use?

Won’t be holding any massively heavy DH bikes, and have all the other tools I need at the moment (Truing jig included), so really just looking for something high quality to hold the bikes up in the air. Clamping mechanism is getting important, with dropper posts/odd frame shapes to consider.

So, anything other than a PCS10, and if so, why?

TIA!

somouk
    Free Member

Good bits of kit but I believe Lidl/Aldi normally do a similar one considerably cheaper.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ta. Doesn’t seem as easily available an option, and I have to profess a bit of a thing for ‘proper’ bike tools. My tool kit is almost exclusively Park, Topeak and Pedros (Apart from hammers and big spanners!)

lovewookie

Get the PCS 10. it’s great and good value too. Running bike maintenance courses means I get to use a lot of other peoples workstands. Everything else I’ve used apart from the PCS-10 is not quite up to the standard, so much so that when I’m there for more than a day I’ll take along my own stands.

wukfit
    Free Member

Had my pcs10 for about 18months and its a brilliant piece of kit
    Those things from Aldi/Lidl are not similar, ok they’re a work stand but the Park one is a different league
    Clamping head is nicer on the 10 than the 9, and holds the bike securely,
    A decent weight, well made stand, has never fallen over

wwaswas

I got one of these;

http://www.topeak.com/products/Repair-Stands/prepstandrace

as I was concerned about clamping onto dropper posts (and the ‘head’ on my existing stand was too long to clamp the ‘dropper’ bit and I cpouldn;t raise the post enough to clamp the shaft due to cable arrangments).

Copes with odd shaped frames, gives a good stable base to lever against.

Only real issue has been that the lenght of the extension bar/fork drop out clamp is a bit marginal for bikes with a long front centre (BB to fork dropouts) measurement.

I woudl recommend it though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

wwaswas, thanks. One issue there is that one of my bikes has a 25mm front axle, so am not sure if that sort of thing would work for it.

Looking like a PCS10 is going to fit the bill. My thanks to all, notably lovewookie and wukfit. Excellent feedback, chaps. Thanks.

sugdenr
    Free Member

I uhmmed and ahhhed loads which one then got a bit of a bargain 10 ‘second user’ from here, and i’m soooo glad. The solidness is my main plus, though I’d get something different if I was moving it about or had to put it away.
    My tip is that I will be ordering the tool/parts tray thingy that clips onto it.

LoCo
    Free Member

Park one’s pretty good, also have a look at the Feedback ones which are very nice, have been considering a topend one for the Race kit 😀

kcal

Feedback stand here. Top notch. Never regretted it. When the LBS guy was away at a race, he borrowed mine over taking his Park 🙂

spacemonkey

Have been deliberating over a 10 for a while now. Think I’ll somehow smuggle one into the new abode if and when we finally move 🙂

monkeyninja
    Free Member

I use an x tools one and it solid, can hold my dh bike no problem. Clamps are very good and easy to adjust.
    Chain reaction selling it for £70

wwaswas

one of my bikes has a 25mm front axle

It’s got adapters for 15 and 20mm ones. I guess bodging something for 25mm wouldn;t be ideal on a new stand but it would only need some plastic tube to shim it out.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Bulky and heavy. The Ultimate Support /Feedback sports stuff is great

lovewookie

The feedback sports stands are OK. sturdy enough definitely, but I didn’t get on with the clamp. slightly greasy hands and it can be difficult to grip the adjuster knobs.

Another thing with the PCS10, the accessories. My home one has the tool ray, the wheel truing attachment and of course, workshop towel holder… 😉

wwaswas

tool ray

*wishes they did a ‘where’s that ball bearing I dropped’ ray*

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Another thing with the PCS10, the accessories.

As long as there’s somewhere to hang one of these…

lovewookie

*wishes they did a ‘where’s that ball bearing I dropped’ ray*

yes, quite.

I’ve installed a giant electromagnet in my 6×8 shed. Have to strap the tools down first though..

kcal

Ultimate / Feedback do the wheel jig, tool tray stuff as well. Mug holder incl.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

but I didn’t get on with the clamp. slightly greasy hands and it can be difficult to grip the adjuster knobs.

Ok – we’ve got the fancy QR one which is great. It can be unstable if you get the angle wrong but the main thing for me was that it folded well.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Am weighing up a Feedback stand with the aim of never having to buy another one. The fact that it handles through axles and QR’s and does clamp the frame seems like a good thing to me.

lovewookie

does clamp the frame seems like a good thing to me.

the rule for clamp stands is to clamp on the seatpost (or seatpost insert) first, if you can’t then it goes seat tube or top tube and always as close to the seat cluster as possible.

I’ve not had the chance to use the BB supported stands yet. I think that for stability they may work better and could be the answer if there are any storage issues.

iainc

the rule for clamp stands is to clamp on the seatpost (or seatpost insert) first, if you can’t then it goes seat tube or top tube and always as close to the seat cluster as possible.

why ?

On my Soul, option 1 is a no as has a reverb, option 2 a no due front mech cable, option 3 awkward due brake hose and bosses, so its simplest to clamp on the downtube just above the bottle bosses. (Park PCS 10, here, which is great). Tighten up enough to hold stable. No different to, infact less pressure than a Thule roof carrier clamp surely

lovewookie

as long as you’re not swinging off it it’ll be OK. The rule is there to protect thin butted tubes from dents as the thicker part of the butt is at the welds.

If I’m working in a shop I’d prefer to work on a bike using a seatpost insert.

wwaswas

I’d prefer to work on a bike using a seatpost insert.

it’s just a pain with dropper posts where the cable/hose is a full run through the guides, ‘stealth’ or zip tied on – you can’t remove it without lots of faff.

On my Maverick there were no frame tubes you could get a clamp round.

matther01
    Free Member

I got a bikehut one for about £60 from Ribble and its been ace

gogg
    Free Member

I bought a PCS9 second hand on ebay, it wasn’t very good.

I subsequently bought a PCS10 for £118 and saved enough to buy the worktray as well…

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Ok – we’ve got the fancy QR one which is great. It can be unstable if you get the angle wrong but the main thing for me was that it folded well.

That’s the quick release tube clamp NOT the stand that mounts the bike using the fork quick release.

lardman
    Free Member

Park one here…. but the cheaper option.

this

works fine for me, and i’ve a heavy old bike.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Workstand – Park PCS 10 or…?’ is closed to new replies.