Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Working Abroad
  • tails
    Free Member

I’m sure some of you live and work abroad and I’m interested in how you gained your job, from the UK or did you just turn up? Whats the change like? Any other good info?

I’m currently saving up to hopefully see some of this big planet we inhabit, but at 26 (yes i know) I’m slightly concerned what employers will think on my return, as the job market seems incredibly competitive at the mo.

This led me to think there is no reason, why I could not use my skills (3D design) whilst away, there seem to be a fair few design companies in Australia, Singapore, Taiwan often they have UK or European offices. I’m wondering what firms think when an application from the other side of the world turns up in their inbox.

I’m off for a shower so will reply later or tomo.

molgrips
    Free Member

You usually can’t just rock up and look for a job in a country unless it’s in the EU.

When I worked overseas there was an agency looking for people and they looked Europe wide.

Xylene
    Free Member

Try for the oil industry, head out to the Middle East and make some decent money, use that to see the world.

Xylene
    Free Member

gulftalent.com is one that I get regular emails from.

It really depends what you want to do. Are you looking for more of the same or a change in lifestyle altogether.

I cut my teeth working in private schools in Thailand teaching science, no formal teaching qualifications, just had to give it a go and see how it went. 8 years on and I’m back qualified (nearly) in the UK teaching.

An easy option for getting out of the uk is the education sector. It is a big risk that you get stuck in it and only ends up as life experience, however I know plenty of people who have made a move then found work through contacts in other countries once there and working their mundane teaching jobs.

Risky option though.

tails
    Free Member

Try for the oil industry

Think you would need some sort of qualification/training. I met a chap who worked on oil rigs in Kazakhstan, he had some interesting stories.

Teaching is one of those option I had looked at but a CELTA qualification takes a few months and costs a grand. Seems fair enough. You unfortunately can no longer rock up and teach in thailand you need a degree and teaching qualification, although I’m sure enough underground schools operate.

Xylene
    Free Member

Teaching is one of those option I had looked at but a CELTA qualification takes a few months and costs a grand

1200 1 month

tails
    Free Member

1200 1 month

Wheres that london?

Xylene
    Free Member

bangkok or was about 5 years ago at international house, ok course not bad people running it

donsimon
    Free Member

I did my Celta over 3 or 4 weeks with 50% discount as I was unemployed at the time. As it was a full time course I couldn’t have been working and was therefore unemployed, seems obvious really.
    Two weeks in Manchester for the theory followed by one or two weeks in Kalamata Greece (only had to pay for the flight).

Workwise, I had a copy of the Madrid Yellow Pages sent over, (before the internet was widely available) listed all the lanuage schools, printed a load of CVs and spent a week wandering around Madrid looking for work. On the second day I was offered a contract and have been here ever since.

The gap in your CV shouldn’t really be a problem if you have a clear plan. Learning a language, broadening your mind, horizons etc. Learning and living in a new/different culture are all things which will stand you in good stead with future employers. They know there is a crisis and few jobs, so getting off your backside and doing something constructive will be a positive.
    Coming to Spain to go on the lash every night, will not!

After a bit if experience you’ll be able to look at the more exotic/in demand/higher paying areas.

Good luck.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i fell into it

as quirrel says – oil industry

im currently working in malabo west africa (and before folks get their west africa nigeria stereotypes out there it is a nice (as far as these countrys go) place – friendly people , relitively nice scenary and good cheap food)

am heading for labuan early next year though – looking forward to that ! –

i how ever have a degree in mech eng and managed to get a place on a graduate scheme at a big oil service company

what 3d design progs do you work with ?

yetivaud
    Free Member

I finished my PhD, then worked in the uk for a big CRO in science (permanent position). Mean while, both my partener and I (she also has a PhD and works in science) looked for positions in switzerland. Anyway she found a post doc, applied for funding got it and soon after we drove down to switzerland, with a couple of bikes, a tent and some other basics to keep us going for a while. After 4 months, winter hit but by that point we’d moved out of the tent and we’d found somewhere good to rent so we could move the cats over as well, I’d learnt a fair bit of French (my SO already spoke it, but still no job for me. it took me another 4 months to land a decent job. Looking back it was a risk, it could have gone badly wrong for me if I’d not found a job. But it’s now a little over 3 years sinced we moved here with our beat-up car, 2 bikes and tent, but since then my french is now fluent, we bought a house in the mountains, but within commuting distance to work, and spend our free time exploring with the bikes, boards and skis. Best decision we ever took.

good luck.

tails
    Free Member

what 3d design progs do you work with ?

Bit of everything really, but most fluently AutoCAD and SketchUp with numerous plugins. No Pro E or Maya I’m afraid.

For those who ventured out of Europe did you sort out a working visa first or after gaining employment. I have no reason to believe I would be turned down.

mogrim

I’m currently saving up to hopefully see some of this big planet we inhabit, but at 26 (yes i know) I’m slightly concerned what employers will think on my return, as the job market seems incredibly competitive at the mo.

I’d imagine that any employer would consider your CV on its merits – spending a couple of years abroad in itself has little merit these days, perhaps it’d give you a slight advantage over a similarly experienced candidate who hasn’t travelled, but I doubt it would be that significant. If you’re concerned about your career I’d personally give far more consideration to the job you’d like to do, and less about where you plan to do it.

That said, if you can do the same job in another country, go for it – living abroad is a great experience, and well worth it.

jools182
    Free Member

I’ve always fancied France, but still struggling to learn the language, although a friend of my girlfriend managed to get an english speaking job there somehow

tails
    Free Member

France would be nice! English is used in lots of businesses as a guess your GF knows.

jools182
    Free Member

I suppose it is, but surely you’d need french too, to converse with your co workers etc?

molgrips
    Free Member

IME most French jobs require French, unlike Scandinavia or Switzerland. Not that they’d be likely to require French in Scandinavia but you know what I mean.

jools182
    Free Member

anyone know of any engineering/architectural agencies that deal in european and scandinavian positions?

jamesca
    Free Member

After sending my CV off to an agency in NZ they eventually phoned and asked for a detailed CV which was about 11 pages long which seemed a little excessive, then I had a phone interview for a civil engineering company and it all just fell into place.

delusional
    Free Member

In Canada. I came here on a temporary (1 year) work visa through BUNAC. Had a summer job lined up before coming out, but found my current job while out here via Craigslist and lots of normal job hunt stuff.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Working Abroad’ is closed to new replies.