• This topic has 295 replies, 88 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 296 total)
  • Word of warning of the quality and warranty of On-One Carbon Race 29-frames
  • ransos
    Free Member

Anyone else notice the photograph showing a chain device fitted to the ‘race’ light frame..?

I had a chain device fitted to my GT back in the mid ’90s, and I’m as wussy XC as they come.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Anyone that cleans his path and pebbles to that extent should NOT have the integrity of his bike storage and cleaning/maintenance sullied on a public forum! 😉

Hmmmm! Perhaps not given his attitude to something that didn’t involve him towards another forum member.

It does involve me. I’m a consumer of the On-One brand, and an indulgent consumer of cycling products in general. I’m also a member of this discussion forum.

All of the above gives me ample justification in posting my views about the product, and how the actions and words of one of On-One’s brand ambassadors have irreparably damaged my view of the On-One and Planet X brand.

Hopefully, by voicing my opinions in a measured fashion, people like Brant might think twice about trying to be a smart-arse on a public forum, and despite the reassuring virtual high-fives he might have received from a handful of On-One sycophants, the repercussions of his flippancy will be far further reaching in terms of his future sales and profits.

Reputations are hard won and very easily lost, as I think he’s demonstrated today.

honourablegeorge

highlandman – Member
    Anyone else notice the photograph showing a chain device fitted to the ‘race’ light frame..? Two, or two and a half years ago, that would be an unusual addition to this sort of bike and implies heavier use.

Nonsense. It implies single ring use, not heavier use. You only need look arounf the average trail centre car park to realise that chain guides, Full face helmets and massive suspension often mean very little on that front.

If the bike was being thrashed, the bar ends and lightweight tyres probably wouldn’t be one it.

Jamie
    Free Member

Hopefully, by voicing my opinions in a measured fashion, people like Brant might think twice about trying to be a smart-arse on a public forum, and despite the reassuring virtual high-fives he might have received from a handful of On-One sycophants, the repercussions of his flippancy will be far further reaching in terms of his future sales and profits.

There are no winners here…

brant
    Free Member

Hopefully, by voicing my opinions in a measured fashion, people like Brant might think twice about trying to be a smart-arse on a public forum

In life, generally, I don’t run down the road after people saying “sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry”.

As I’ve already said, I’m not massively happy with the offer we made the OP and I’m looking in to improving this offering in future.

Drac

All of the above gives me ample justification in posting my views about the product, and how the actions and words of one of On-One’s brand ambassadors have irreparably damaged my view of the On-One and Planet X brand.

Granted but it doesn’t allow you to insult forum members.

seventyfive
    Free Member

I think ‘looked awesome’ is more appropriate. It’s fairly obvious that bike has been built with lot’s of thought and care.
    Why a replacement frame doesn’t have the same warranty has the original purchase is a bit baffling. It’s a new product so the company should honour it’s warranty, that is if they believe what they are selling is up to the task.

franksinatra

that is was a good looking bike.

tazzymtb

Meaured fashion? Delcaring something not fit for purpose when you have no experience of it is measured is it? Stone me..you will be ace when you get properly excitable..you’ll be accusing on-one of harbouring kiddie fidlers and riding through red lights next!

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Granted but it doesn’t allow you to insult forum members.

I’d rather be called a twunt than have my concerns so flippantly dismissed by the company I’d spent a lot of money with. I think Brant’s comments to the OP were far more insulting.

Delcaring something not fit for purpose when you have no experience of it is measured is it?

Not one, but 2 frames failed. And they didn’t fail in a way consistent with wear and tear, they appear to have failed due to poor workmanship during manufacture! Therefore, neither frame was fit for purpose!

wwaswas

I think Brant’s comments to the OP were far more insulting.

insulting someone is insulting them, trying to put yourself lower than another poster on the ‘insult scale’ isn’t much of a defence, is it?

Jamie
    Free Member

Hopefully Brant is reaching* out to the OP, and something gets sorted out to one degree or another. What this thread doesn’t really need is to be sidetracked by the professionally outraged.

Also, can I get a coffee grande iced half caf triple mocha latte macchiato?**

*With apologies to wwaswas
    **With no apologies to wwaswas 😀

lehisj
    Free Member

You’re not. I can see the OP’s point. I think we could do better than offer just 10% off something.

You should have done that from the very beginning of this case.

And I was your loyal customer for years and was just planning to purchase a Planet X Track bike to my son.

Perfectly fair to mount a chain guide on there. His bike looks awesome.

Small correction here: Looked awesome!

because he was running a RoRo on the back and a RaRa on the front.

That was only for picture purposes because I was not having two RaRa’s avialable at that time. The bike was actually driven with RaRa on both ends.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I wouldn’t class myself as professionally outraged, more of a useful 2nd Cat with aspirations…

wwaswas

*With apologies to wwaswas
    **With no apologies to wwaswas

my outrage has gone into a flat spin.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Anyone else notice the photograph showing a chain device fitted to the ‘race’ light frame..? Two, or two and a half years ago, that would be an unusual addition to this sort of bike and implies heavier use.

Whilst you were casting your eye over the bike did you notice the bar ends, I here all the downhillers are using them now so the bike has obviously been hammered.

Ah the 2nd link Brant has given is the bit I’m after. Maybe Sue could have advised this was available? I’ll order now, thanks Brant.

Jamie
    Free Member

Whilst you were casting your eye over the bike did you notice the bar ends, I here all the downhillers are using them now so the bike has obviously been hammered.

Also, I noticed it has pedals. All the DH boys use those.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

you’ll be accusing on-one of harbouring kiddie fidlers

They’ve got a couple of Jimmy Savilles bikes, does that count?

honourablegeorge

Jamie – Member
    There are no winners here…

On-One improve their crash replacement.

Customers better off as a result.

Winners all round

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I think if it makes companies like On-One think twice about a business model based purely on importing cheap Chinese frames, with absolutely no input in terms of ongoing quality control throughout the manufacturing process, then the world will be a better place.

If the frames regularly fail like that, they’re not safe. A failure at high speed could result in serious injury or a fatality.

I think the lesson we can all learn is that Brant doesn’t have much confidence in his products, because they are made several thousand miles away and he can’t physically check that they’re being manufactured to satisfactory standards.

If he did have confidence in the product, he’d be offering a longer warranty, like the bigger manufacturers do.

So yes, we – the consumers – are the winner when a post like this appears. It reaffirms what many of us know – if you buy an imported frame from a company like On-One, you’re unlikely to get a product of the quality you would get from a bigger manufacturer.

And if it fails, you’re unlikely to get professional after-sales service.

wwaswas

shibboleth – I think you’ve probably pushed it too far with your on-one bashing now.

I have no idea what you have against them vs any of the other companies with a similar ‘design it in the UK get it made in Taiwan or China’ approach but I don’t think you’re making anyone look bad but yourself.

Jamie
    Free Member

On-One improve their crash replacement.

Customers better off as a result.

Winners all round

I was referring more to Shib’s rampage. The thread had settled to a point where, hopefully, misunderstandings had been ironed out, and some progress could be made. Then it starts getting pulled down a side street and kneed in the kidneys.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I think the lesson we can all learn is that Brant doesn’t have much confidence in his products, because they are made several thousand miles away and he can’t physically check that they’re being manufactured to satisfactory standards.

To be fair I’m pretty sure Brant regularly visits the factories in china.

tonyd

Shib – you are Mike Sinyard and I clam my £5

Shibboleth
    Free Member

shibboleth – I think you’ve probably pushed it too far with your on-one bashing now.

Sorry wwaswas, if ever I’ve got an opinion, I’ll run it past you before I air it in future shall I?

Can you point out what in my last post that you disagree with?

Jamie, that wasn’t a rampage… 😉

To be fair I’m pretty sure Brant regularly visits the factories in china.

If a bloke takes a sh*t every year on his birthday, he might be regular but he’s not healthy.

hora
    Free Member

So yes, we – the consumers – are the winner when a post like this appears. It reaffirms what many of us know – if you buy an imported frame from a company like On-One, you’re unlikely to get a product of the quality you would get from a bigger manufacturer.

You do realise that the majority of mountain bike products sold in the UK are imported right?

QC in Tawanese and Chinese factories isn’t shit either.

FuzzyWuzzy

Good news if One-One do improve their out-of-warranty deals as a result. I still think given they’re a small company they could have gotten in right first time on this, it’s so obvious with inserts failing that it deserves a warranty replacement only a muppet would try and stick rigidly to T&Cs and not try and offer some goodwill. If both frame failures had involved smashed bits of carbon fibre I could understand the reluctance to keep warrantying it but that’s not the case.

honourablegeorge

Shibboleth – Member
    I think if it makes companies like On-One think twice about a business model based purely on importing cheap Chinese frames, with absolutely no input in terms of ongoing quality control throughout the manufacturing process, then the world will be a better place.

If the frames regularly fail like that, they’re not safe. A failure at high speed could result in serious injury or a fatality.

If he did have confidence in the product, he’d be offering a longer warranty, like the bigger manufacturers do.

That’s a load of wildly speculative nonsense based on the sum total of zero information you have about On-One’s quality control policies.

And two years is just as long as a lot of far bigger brands offer.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

QC in Tawanese and Chinese factories isn’t shit either.

It clearly is in the factory that churned out both the frames that the OP had the misfortune of receiving.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If a bloke takes a sh*t every year on his birthday, he might be regular but he’s not healthy.

Top supply chain compliance advice there!

shortcut

Personally I cannot understand the issue.

3 years out of one (relatively cheap) purchase and 2 frames. This likely being used in an environment where the bike would experience significant changes in temperature – warm storage to cold out side. These thermal conditions will have a significant affect upon all bonded items.

If people want lifetime warranty then generally they should buy something with a lifetime warranty that is backed up by an excellent customer service offering.

Personally if I am after a favour (something for nothing), appealing to peoples better nature is the way forward – rather than getting snotty on a forum, then getting snottier after they said they were looking at the situation.

On One and Planet X are excellent at what they do. You cannot expect the same product and service you get by going to a LBS and paying full price on a big brand bike. A bottomless warranty has to be funded by higher prices. Take your pick boys and girls.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

This likely being used in an environment where the bike would experience significant changes in temperature – warm storage to cold out side. These thermal conditions will have a significant affect upon all bonded items.

This is the biggest load of twaddle I’ve read in a long time. 🙄

clubber
    Free Member

a business model based purely on importing cheap Chinese frames, with absolutely no input in terms of ongoing quality control throughout the manufacturing process

Pretty sure that this isn’t OO/PX’s business model

Maybe, really? These inserts as it goes probably aren’t safety critical. Not that that makes it ok – it’s still pretty poor that they failed but trying the ‘will nobody think of the kids’ approach doesn’t really help

You’d better not fly or use pretty much any large product which has likely been manufactured around the world with a decentralised supply chain. Dealing with suppliers remotely isn’t something unusual these days. You need to spend time with them to get that confidence which as it goes, I’m pretty sure Brant actually does a lot of from what I’ve read.

That’s clearly BS – 2 years is far from uncommon.

If you buy an imported frame from a company like On-One, you’re unlikely to get a product of the quality you would get from a bigger manufacturer.

unlikely. proof? And define ‘bigger manufacturer’. Are you suggesting we should only expect decent service from Spesh, Giant and Trek?

I don’t disagree that it’s not great service. I think it’s stupid to say that it’s the norm just because it may be the case for OO/PX.

Does Brant have tattoos or something, shibby? 🙂

wwaswas

Sorry wwaswas, if ever I’ve got an opinion, I’ll run it past you before I air it in future shall I?

Can you point out what in my last post that you disagree with?

I can’t imagine that the unbonding of a seat tube insert at any speed is going to lead to a fatality. Equally, the BB shell would be held in place by the crank arms.

Also, you have no idea how regularly they fail like this. One user in a country that has unusually cold weather has experienced failure.

The OP has switched from a product costing £800 with a 2 year warranty to one costing £1600 with a 3 year one. I’d expect a lot bigger jump than that for the increase in price or do Pivot have no faith in their products either?

makes companies like On-One think twice about a business model based purely on importing cheap Chinese frames, with absolutely no input in terms of ongoing quality control throughout the manufacturing process, then the world will be a better place.

as above, there’s a lot of companies who have a ‘design local, build global’ approach. Brant (from what I’ve seen) visits the Far East regularly and I expect other p-x staff do too. Why have you singled them out for this criticism?

It reaffirms what many of us know – if you buy an imported frame from a company like On-One, you’re unlikely to get a product of the quality you would get from a bigger manufacturer.

do you know what failure rate larger companies get? I suspect as they all pretty much use the same factories and the same manufacturign techniques it will be the same across most of them. the only differences where design problems lead to failure which isn’t the case for the OP.

Anyway, other than the above I think you’re doign a sterling job.

duckman

It not I am afraid Brant, it is one of the barrel adjusters where the cable goes into the brake.

seventyfive
    Free Member

I don’t think anyone can expect Planet X/On-one to personally check each and every frame when manufactured abroad. Anyone who owns one of their bikes (I do) will know why they’re competitively priced, it’s not difficult. But this frame isn’t priced at the lower end, it’s near enough 1K new! I think it’s rightly so the OP expects better and is feeling pissed about it.

tazzymtb

Shib…you are a plonker..frames pass qc and cen/en testing..therfore are safe for market.i.e. fit for purpose..if a significany nuber of on one carbon frames or anyones frames tbh were failing due to bonded inserts reglarly coming out then it would certainly be an issue that would have raised its head before now. Carbon insert failing for the same user coyld be either a. The frame is cack, in which case there would be hundreds of reports of the same fault. Or b the op is doing something a bit special with it..using solvent cleaners, storing at low temp…too many variables. .

so if you look for a common causative factor, based in the evidence provided..it looks less likely that manufacturer is at fault through poor design and more likely to be external factors in the life of the item.

Gary_M
    Free Member

It not I am afraid Brant, it is one of the barrel adjusters where the cable goes into the brake.

They’re not plastic are they?

clubber
    Free Member

200!

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 296 total)

The topic ‘Word of warning of the quality and warranty of On-One Carbon Race 29-frames’ is closed to new replies.