Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Woohoo and grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !
  • Woody
    Free Member

I've been in my house for almost exactly a year and have just changed gas and electricity suppliers. Not a big deal as it's a small house and I'm out a lot but a few £££ saved is better in my pocket than theirs etc etc.

Now it's my fault for not keeping a closer check on things but………..I received a letter from my old gas supplier a few weeks ago saying that my monthly payment needed to go up from £48 to £50 to keep things in order which I ignored as I was about to change anyway. Changed over as planned at end of January. Letter from old company today saying that my final gas statement shows that I am £321 IN CREDIT and I should receive a cheque within 14 days !

So……woohoo, skiing/boarding holiday now definite and grrrrr as the b@stards were going to take even more money next year when they should have been reducing my payments by at least £20.

On balance 😀 😆 8)

fadda

Nice surprise, though, eh! Good on yer, and enjoy your holiday!

avdave2

I'd be writing to your old supplier asking for an explanation as to why they wanted to put up your payments when you were in credit by over £300. Just make sure you end the letter by saying you will be sending a copy to the regulator if you don't receive a satisfactory response.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

They never, ever, reduce payments. If you're in credit it's THEM earning the interest.
    We've had to fight hard to get our payments reduced in the past, and some companies make it really tough to go below a certain level. We're just about to have a new boiler fitted, and I reckon the bills will drop a LOT from what they are now, so that'll be interesting…..

kevonakona
    Free Member

Sorry PP, i've had mine reduced, mind you the people who lived here before must have been growing dope of something with the amount of electricity they used. Saying that it's on teh steady rise evertime now.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

mind you the people who lived here before must have been growing dope of something with the amount of electricity they used

LOL! Know what you mean. I've been in some peoples houses where it's so hot I nearly passed out and I had to leave (They had Aussie relatives over. WEAR A JUMPER YOU THICK TWUNT!) and others where every light, gadget, computer, TV etc etc is on all the time, no matter if you're in the room or not.
    I turned a TV off once: Someone walked in, turned it back on, and walked out again!

vinnyeh

Lucky boy. In November I changed plans to one 4% cheaper with the same company, our payments went up from £108 to £132 a month. I submitted a reading at end of January- our payments went up to £195 a month!
    Apparently the meter hadn't been read since end of October, their estimating was out, it was a particularly cold couple of months, we were in arrears etc etc.
    Talked through it on the phone, and it's only til the end of the billing year, but it was a big shock.

rOcKeTdOg

at the shop i used to own (a greengrocers) it took months to convince the electricity supplier that i didn't need to pay more in the winter, i only ran one fridge and it got so cold in the winter months it was never on, practically cutting useage by 1/2! they couldn't see it though, got £200 refund off them in the end

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

We've had British Gas attempt that before. Been well in credit and they wanted to put up our monthly charge over winter by £17 a month! I asked for an explanation why, when we weren't using all the gas we were paying for, we needed to be paying to use even more. Didn't get an explanation but agreed to leave it as it is and guess what? Still in credit… They obvously try it on as it'll be better for them in their accounts making interest than sitting in your own.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

At the end of 2008 my monthly combined bills went from £77 to £104 per month. They then dropped it to £88 in March, £78 then finally to £58 where it has stayed. Last month i sent them a meter reading & i'm £261 in credit with them. Had a new boiler & shower fitted (previously ran a tank system & bath) so i'm going to be VERY interested in my next reading!

iDave
    Free Member

i moved in here in december. scottish power wanted £120 a month for one person in a small mid-terraced house. i said bill me based on meter readings in three months then i'll set up a standing order for a fair assessment of useage. 4 weeks later i get a debt agency letter for the £120. i told them to shove it. the saga continues. there is no way i'm setting up a direct debit with them.

coffeeking
    Free Member

They never, ever, reduce payments. If you're in credit it's THEM earning the interest.

Just to add another to the list against that, scottish power/gas (i can't remember) dropped mine by £3 a month not so long back. Which was nice of them.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Woohoo and grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !’ is closed to new replies.