Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Woodburner – water dripping down flue
  • neilnevill
    Free Member

globati, you said ‘a load’ as in delivered? was it dry? the eternal question. Wood is all the same really, its cellulose, lignin and water. the amount of water in the green tree varies and the cell structure and lignin content can affect how fast it dries, but once dry the only variation then really is cellulose to lignin content slightly. A more resiny wood (more lignin) will actually burn a bit hotter, so long as its given the air and there’s nothing there that should make tar, any more than any other wood that isn’t burnt hot. Some wood types are hard to dry though, oak because of its cell structure takes ages, birch and some other have such a resinous waterproof bark they can trap the water in and rot, but once this is overcome and the wood is properly dry, it should burn like any other. that said….AFAIK I’ve never had Larch so I don’t know what its like to dry…or burn.

I’m very much enjoying some silver birch currently, mixed with oak.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I thinned out a woodland at a mates school last winter and got a load of larch last winter from it.

It’s been drying out all summer.

I dug out some tonight and threw it on the fire.

We are not drowning in tar yet.

A couple weeks ago I picked up a trailer load of freshly felled pine. It’s currently oozing sap out all over the slabs at the back door. Needless to say it won’t be going near the fire this year.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Larch aside, any suggestions on how best to resolve this?

In a standard install with a flexi liner, the liner would be continuous from the chimney pot to the stove flue, thus no where for deposits to collect other than in the stove itself. The setup I’ve got is essentially an open joint that is allowing soot, rain and condensation to collect and escape.

Surely it would be better for the clay liner to attach directly to the flue? Obviously it’s 6″ compared to 5″ but it would create a more typical install.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Long term, maybe get a different outfit to put one of those sump adaptors in?

this sort of thing

That way anything coming down the chimney is only ever going into the stove. It’s probably a mornings work for a pro. I now defer to the pros on the forum.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Let’s face it, £39 for the sump adapter and a bit for fitting, isn’t much to waste if it doesn’t work, and although I reckon steel liners are best, I’m sure that sump adapter will work.

What ever solution you choose though (do nothing, adapter, full liner) you ought to think about more heat in the flue. Personally I like to let the stove rip threw the first load to warm the flue, and last load to really shift any water. That’s on top of seasoning all my wood myself for 12-24 months.

donald
    Free Member

I’d get a chimney sweep to look at it. They might be able to tell you what’s going on and how to sort it.

sharkbait
    Free Member

In a standard install with a flexi liner, the liner would be continuous from the chimney pot to the stove flue, thus no where for deposits to collect other than in the stove itself

Not quite sure what point your making here, but I get zero deposits in the stove from my clay liner with a 6″ Flexi running through it.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Woodburner – water dripping down flue’ is closed to new replies.