Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Women, heating and onpen windows – can anyone make sense of it?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

This morning the wife opens the bedroom, bathroom and my upstairs office windows wide to let fresh air in.

As I now appear to be working in a sub-zero wind tunnel I close them about 30 minutes later.

I am in meetings so close the office door but the wife walks in, opens my office window because she feels it is warm in my office. This is because she has been moving around the house doing stuff rather than being sat still at a desk.

As soon as I get off the call I close the windows again.

After my next call I discover all the windows open again.

As I go around closing the windows again the wife calls upstairs that she is turning the heating on as the house is cold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zippykona

And how is it they can wander around for an evening out in next to nothing but have to dress up like an Eskimo to watch telly in a house with the thermostat put on 25?

gravitysucks
    Free Member

And how is it they can wander around for an evening out in next to nothing but have to dress up like an Eskimo to watch telly in a house with the thermostat put on 25?

Alcohol.

gonzy
    Free Member

WCA…my wife is exactly the same….are they related??

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Mines the opposite, closes every window, then moans that the washing is taking too long to dry and that the house still smells of chips 3 days after using the fryer so she’s going to buy some febreeze.

Open the chuffin window!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

If I ever dare complain she has the heating up too high eg Thermostat on 30, she suggests I open a window.

I ask why the thermostat is on 30 when she wants the house at 20 – to make it warm up quicker apparently!!

bearnecessities

When God made girls and boys, he gave girls the pretty bits like hairless bodies, and boys the useful bits like normal circulation.

..and rational thinking etc.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Is this what married life is like when both members have lost the power of speech? 😉

Anyway, whilst my Wife is usually cold – she likes to have a blanket over her whilst watching TV, at least 11 months of the year, she does at least understand how a thermostat works.

Unlike the women in work who treat it like a throttle, crank it up to 35c if it’s a bit nippy in here, drop it down to 5c if it’s a bit warm, spend the day alternating between the two.

Which is not as bad as my last but one place when the female members of staff conspired to steal the thermostat, set it at ‘boil’ and hide it in their drawers. (the type you keep pens in thankfully).

CheesybeanZ

, he gave girls the pretty bits like hairless bodies,

You’ve obviously never been on a European beach !

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

and rational thinking

Yet you cede all decision-making power to the magic eight ball in your pants–riddle me that 🙂

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

She has just walked into my office and opened the windows because it is too hot!

THAT IS BECAUSE YOU SET THE HEATING TO THIRTY YOU DAFT BINT!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Also she opens the upstairs windows because heat rises and she doesn’t like drafts where she is downstairs. Doesn’t affect me apparently.

rusty90
    Free Member

I ask why the thermostat is on 30 when she wants the house at 20 – to make it warm up quicker apparently!!

“Why’s the oven on 9, you want 5 don’t you?”
    “I’m going to turn it down when its got hot, silly”
    (With a look suggesting she requires endless patience to live with such an idiot)

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

yep, had that one too.

With a look suggesting she requires endless patience to live with such an idiot

To be honest, she does

Anyway, last conf call finished. I am off down the sauna where I can control the thermostat myself.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

We are yet to have the heating on since the Summer, I relented a few days ago and burnt a log in the wood burner, but so far so good.

We have an old heating system with no central thermostat, so the Mrs goes round and turns all the rad stats to max when the heating’s on.

spooky_b329

My favourite is when you get in the freezing cold car and the fan/heat gets turned to max, thereby chilling me to the bone and ensuring the poor engine struggles to warm up for the next 20 minutes.

New car solves this as its got Climate control and realises that its better to leave the fan low until there is actually some heat to scavenge from the engine after a mere three minutes of driving 🙂

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

My wife usually lives under a thick blanket for 10 months of the year, even in the lounge (which is presently above sauna temperatures this time of year, owing to the obligatory STW required stove running 24hrs a day on anthracite or smokeless). Generally our windows stay closed. Also, she understands thermostats. Which is nice, when we switch over to the actual CH.

joat

A friend of mine has been known to drill out the back of the control dial to turn the half moon into a circle in his office. It just spins round rather than adjusting the temperature. He thinks there’s a placebo effect as the nesh co-workers don’t seem to notice turning it up has no effect. I, on the other hand work outside and am at the mercy of nature’s thermostat.

FuzzyWuzzy

If I have to try and explain one more time that turning the thermostat to 35c doesn’t make things heat up quicker…

thekingisdead
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNqcuzUleNQ[/video]

NSFW…..

wilburt
    Free Member

A female thermostat is two position on/off home or car.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Just come in front he sauna and the house feels roasting*

Checked the thermostat and it is at 20.

Sat in the conservatory with a window open.

umm, pot, kettle, black. 🙁

*not brave enough to cool don with the hose pipe at this time of year. Double 🙁

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

A workmate of the Mrs has Hive, it alerts him when she turns the heating up (as soon as he leaves for work normally) so he turns it back down. If she turns it up again he switches it off and tells her it must be faulty again hahaha!

Suggsey
    Free Member

I wish I could have my VW dual climate control heating fitted at home in zones that are around us separately too……..I’m just so relieved I’m not the only man that suffers from a wife 😆

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Mrs M is the reason that we have liquid metal cooled nuclear reactors in submarines, they are modelled on our central heating. We also have a wood burner that burns mayope!

thegreatape
    Free Member

The answer to this conundrum might be found here?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/does-your-oh-fart

Cougar

Bloody aircon wars at work, don’t get me started. I’ll be stood there in a polo-shirt sweating like a Sarajevo roof tiler, and the women in the office ram the air-con up to 30′ because “it’s cold.” I think we’ve employed the lizards out of ‘V’.

But yeah, anyway. The problem isn’t windows or heating, OP, it’s not having a lock on your office door.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Cougar – the problem is not having the thermostat in the office.

hugo
    Free Member

Ha, yes!

Ignorance of how thermostats work does seem to be a female trait…

singletrackmind

Ignorance of how thermostats work does seem to be a female trait…

and how much effort it takes to close a car door. S L A M , and the door is most definatly shut

fettlin

Nope, mental the lot of them. No thermostat here, but gas fires dotted around the house. One at the bottom of the stairs heats most of the house quite nicely if you leave the doors open and the fire on low.

Or, if you’re SWMBO, leave the doors closed then complain it’s too hot upstairs and to rectify the situation open all of the upstairs windows, while still leaving the fxxxxxg fire on! 👿

Edukator
    Free Member

No thermostat. Just a wood burner and a thermometre. Madame knows that if the thermometer reads 18°C or less I’ll light up. At 19°C I might be persuaded and at 20°C or more she can light it if she wants.

butcher

Exactly the same here. Heating goes on in morning. By mid-afternoon, apparently the house needs ‘airing’. Door swings open. Windows are open. I freeze. She insists it’s warm (while she’s running up and down the stairs opening the windows). House is aired. House is freezing. Heating goes back on.

dogmatix

OP, I’m struck dumb, I have exaclty the same experience. I have put it down to the fact that she just lives in the moment and immediate needs rather than thinking ahead. IE im hot all windows open, im cold heating up. My worry sometimes she thinks that the world is experiencing things the same as her. IE she has been running around the house doing stuff, is hot and goes out in just a jumper, but only dresses the kids in jumpers too when its freezing outside. Not realising they havent warmed up the same as her. Then ten minutes later she is cold, so are the kids, and no one has jackets.

nick1962
    Free Member

Just wait till she reaches the “hot flushes” time of life….

sharkbait
    Free Member

Honeywell evohome has this cracked – you can set the wireless rad thermostats to display a temperature that is above the actual temperature. Set the rad to 19c and the display shows 21c – only a husband could have thought of that ….. Inspired!

jonahtonto
    Free Member

heating eh? you lot are a flash bunch aren’t you? (i guess a lot of you live north of the m4 though)

wives eh? you lot are …..

sweepy
    Free Member

My Mrs heats the whole house for 2 hrs before we get up/come home and heats an empty bathroom all night so she doesn’t get a cold arse when she sits down, then moans like **** if I leave an 11watt light bulb on. She has no idea how a thermometer works either.

Just wait till she reaches the “hot flushes” time of life….

That was brilliant, we saved a fortune on the heating, I wasn’t sweating and she wore less clothes- triple win till she got on the HRT 🙁

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Women, heating and onpen windows – can anyone make sense of it?’ is closed to new replies.