Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • winter gloves
  • coylumbridge
    Free Member

I'm looking for a good pair of winter gloves which will keep hands dry and very warm. Suffer from Reynauds and have tried various types including expensive battery powered/heated versions to no avail.

Anyone know if Fox Antifreeze gloves are good ?

Any ideas welcome – thanks

ton
    househusband

I took Ton's advice from a few winters ago and bought some silk liners; wear them under some old winter gloves (they did have a membrane liner but I removed it as it was ripped) and didn't suffer from the cold at all – even when wet!

ton

the winter inferno gloves are like having your hands wrapped in a warm cosey duvet, but still able to pick your nose with em on….. 😉

i too suffer from cold hands that make me want to cry in the winter.

coylumbridge
    Free Member

thanks guys – I hadn't seen the extremities website before so will have a look. I've tried altura liner gloves which didn't help – but they aren't silk – which may make a difference

Northwind

Fox Antifreeze are very good, not as waterproof as I'd like but amazingly warm considering how nice they are to ride in. i've got crap circulation so my hands suffer when it gets cold, before I got the Antifreezes I was using these:

Ridiculous option

Motorbike gloves… Very warm, and gave the same level of feel as amputation would :mrgreen:

davebarrie
    Free Member

I've got some thermally insulated 661 gloves for sale on here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12721882

They're super-warm while being bike-specific, so grip ain't a problem.

Give me a shout if you are interested (david.j.barrieATgmail.com)

coylumbridge
    Free Member

thanks daveb – could you tell me if they're warm in winter, what size and how much incl postage please ?

z1ppy

I have those 661 gloves and as good as they are, I wouldn't class them as a winter glove, more autumn till early winter (I bought them as there waterproof not for the cold). I'd suggest looking at either Ton's suggestion or these: Sealskinz (they actually look very similar gloves). I have some older ones of these and they make my hands sweat, I can only use them in the depth of winter. Have looked at the Fox Anti-freeze and Specialized Subzero before now but they're still not 'that' warm talking to (some) users.

jonb
    Free Member

never really found anything that was amazing. Best thing I managed was buying gloves that will fit a silk liner underneath.

Also your hands get cold if the blood is chilled on the way there. Make sure you have warm arms and a good long glove that keeps your wrist warm.

trail_rat
    Free Member

last winter it was so damned cold up here when i wanted to ride (early morning and late at night – when commuting) i was riding in a 650 fill down jacket it was cold – -17/18 were reported on the airport weatherstation next to work

suffered with cold hands for the first week – popped into ellis brighams and picked up some mammut mountaineering mits very warm on their own & with silk liners from trek mates but with pockets on the back for chemical heat packs in the uber cold.

cost about 40 quid all in but zero cold hands ever!

great for commuting – too warm for racing 😀 – wore endura lobster claws during the puffer night laps and aldi "biking" gloves during the day

davebarrie
    Free Member

coylumbridge – The gloves are called the 661 Storm, if you want to look them up. Contrary to what z1ppy says, I consider them to be very warm indeed. In fact on a ride in Coed y Brenin in December I had to take them off because they were too warm! They have a Hipora lining which makes them waterproof and breathable, as well as providing some extra insulation.

The gloves are a Large size. I have them listed as £12 without postage, but I would do £12 posted if you are interested?

You can email me on david(DOT)j(DOT)barrie(AT)gmail(DOT)com

trail_rat
    Free Member

davebarrie have you ridden with anyone with reynauds ?

a 661 storm would not be a good choice for a winter glove imho …

neil853
    Free Member

just avoid endura strikes, poor design well executed 🙄

trail_rat
    Free Member

likewise , deluge neil!

molgrips
    Free Member

Give over, it's only August!

Seriously tho, +1 for liners of some kind. Big difference. In Finland I used to use biking gloves with liners underneath – very toasty.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘winter gloves’ is closed to new replies.