Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Winter Cycling Boots
  • UK-FLATLANDER

I suffer from cold feet when winter cycling. Tried warmer socks, but obviously can’t go too thick before they adversely effect circulation. Had a couple of years with neoprene overshoes, which help but can get a bit damp from perspiration. So this year thought I’d go for some specific winter cycling boot. Have moderately wide forefoot and narrow heels and usually find cycling shoes too narrow in the toe region. Any recommendations for fit and function?

LeeW

I think Sidi do one with a wider fitting. Never had an issue with Shimano ones over the years. I have some Mavic road ones which aren’t great. The wrap around Neoprene flap at the ankle is too short, it would be fine if I had ankles like a 3 year old.

I still suffer from cold feet so have bought some heated insoles, see if that helps.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

I’ve got wide feet and spent ages ordering and sending back various brands’ winter boots. Even Specialized boots were useless; normally the shoes are the most comfortable ones I can find but they’re a completely different shape and size in winter boots.

Anyway, ended up very happy with Northwave GTX Celcius things. Wide, warm, dry and like sooooo snuggly, man. This will be their 3rd winter and they’re still perfect.

MSP

Lake mx303, the standard is pretty wide to start with, and they also do a wide fitting.

whitestone
    Free Member

I got a pair of Specialized Defrosters last winter. Got them slightly large and use thick walking socks with them. Didn’t have cold feet at all, in fact last winter wasn’t that cold and quite a few times my feet were too warm and the socks got damp with sweat. They are SPD fitting, not sure how well they’d work with flats even with the replacement insert in place.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Try flat pedals and walking boots, cut out the prime cause of cold feet – that big hole with the heat conductor bolted onto it.

Never had numb feet since I binned the spuds.

Sandwich

Another vote for the Northwave boots, if in doubt go up one continental size from normal. They don’t have the huge hole Nobeer mentions.

scotroutes

There’s the Bontrager OMM boots. They’ll take a cleat or just leave the blanking plate/cover on and use them with flats. Also look at the 45North stuf – Wolvhammer etc

ton

I watch these threads with interest. my feet get so cold/painful in the winter that I cant touch them after rides.

built a bit of gear up for this year, starting with alpaca felt insoles, alpaca socks and some sailing hot socks.
    just need to choose some nice walking boots to top it all off with.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Just got these which can be used with spd and flats (in the snow) as the big hole can be plugged again as pictured
    The sole is very grippy and has a little give so they are very comfortable for walking in (if you need to clamver over rocks like me)
    Just sold my celcius, very warm you can’t walk in them

ransos
    Free Member

I have the Northwaves, one size larger than my usual size. They’re warm, but suffer from the same problem as all other boots: a hole in the top.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

+1 for Northwave Arctic Celsius boots.
    Wear mine with merino socks when very cold, normal cycling socks at other times.
    My feet are the same shape as the OPs. Wide across the front and narrow heels. Very comfy and toasty. The arctic version have more insulation than the normal celsius.
    In the 3 years I’ve had them I’ve never felt cold seeping in from the spds.
    Soles are stiff, so may not be so suitable for flats though.

momo

I’ve had my celsius boots for a few years now, fit my wide feet nicely. I tried Specialized, mavic and shimano boots at the same time but none of them worked for me.

The biggest issue is if it’s properly wet then it just runs down your legs into the tops of the boots, one particularly soggy day in Wales saw me stopping to take the boots off and tip the water out.

I tend to use nice thick merino socks with them, only really in use on the CX bike now though as I switched to flats on the MTB last summer, now use 5:10 free riders and neoprene wetsuit socks if it looks like I’ll be getting wet feet. Still get wet but stay nice and toasty with it.

weeksy

now use 5:10 free riders and neoprene wetsuit socks if it looks like I’ll be getting wet feet. Still get wet but stay nice and toasty with

This…. i can’t actually imagine how you can get cold feet in freeriders… i’ve got mine on today as straight off riding after work, my feet are melting in the office.

whitestone
    Free Member

Tony – I think you asked the same over on Bearbones.

My general view is that winter cycling boots are dominated by the American market where winter equates to very cold temps rather than the “hover around zero with lots of mud, slutch and gunk with a bit of snow and ice” that is typical of the UK winter. I’d look to other sports/pastimes that are more used to dealing with these conditions: walking; mountaineering; horse riding. Maybe even something work related like Rigger’s boots. So long as the soles stick reasonably well to the pedals whichever upper fits and is warm should be fine.

ton

whitestone, I think you are right mate…..think I am going to have to give up on the idea of cycling boots and go for some winter walking boots or similar.

z1ppy

I can happily recommend Lakes MZ 303’s, got some last year, & wish I’d bought years ago instead of suffering. As good as Shimano and Celsius (pre-arctic) waterproof boots are, they are not winter (cold weather) boots IME

mduncombe
    Free Member

I didn’t wear my Northwave boots once last year, it just didn’t get cold enough here in Somerset!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Winter Cycling Boots’ is closed to new replies.