Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Windows XP netbook problem
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

New netbook won’t boot as this file is corrupt:

\windows\system32\config\system

Advice is to repair using original Setup CD

1. Don’t think I have this CD
    2. Netbook has no CD drive

Any ideas please?

Stoner
    Free Member

make a bootable USB stick. You will need a copy of XP though…

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Can I do that from another XP machine or will I still need install discs?

Stoner
    Free Member

you still need the disks – the boot compiler copies the install files over to the USB stick.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Got it – thanks Stoner

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Get a cheap CD reader to plug in to run the discs, think I had to make my own recovery copy on USB stick for my daughters netbook

In fact know I did because I had to buy an 8gb one, might be a good idea to do that when you get it going again

Serial number for the OS should be on a sticker underneath the machine

Think each machine is different, but I have the aforementioned recovery stick for a Toshiba netbook, but its Windows 7

If its new could you not take it back?

fwb2006
    Free Member

I had to do this for the mother inlaw last night. What Netbook is it?

I bought a usb cdrom drive to do it but you might not need it as it may have a partition for a restore.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

You tried running a chkdsk? It might sort it without having to resort to a reinstall

clarkpm4242
    Free Member

Ubuntu

Forget XP.

Download Ubuntu onto USB stick and install.

Only a recent convert. Impressed with ease of use etc.

fwb2006
    Free Member

She had exactly the same error message, when you restart is continue to press F2, you’ll then get into the BIOS, then disable the fast boot option. Once you’ve doen that restart it again, then you’ll get the option to restore the machine. If you do not disable the fast boot it does not boot up properly and cannot perform system restore.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thanks all – it’s an Acer Aspire One

Waderider
    Free Member

Second Ubuntu. Can’t beat free and better.

fwb2006
    Free Member

Exactly the same as I fixed, follow the instructions above.

Cougar

Good grief. Right. Config\system isn’t a file you can copy off the CD. It’s part of your registry and unique to your PC.

It’s worth a punt on Last Known good here. Start your PC, and hit F8 before you get the Windows splash screen (loading screen) – time it right and you’ll get a menu giving you options including Last Known Good config.

If that doesn’t work there’s a good chance that a chkdsk will fix it. If you can get into a recovery console, you can run ‘chkdsk /p’ which will fix any corruption and -hopefully- resolve the issue. If you don’t have a means of booting it, I can give you an ISO of the recovery console which you can get onto a USB key via UNetBootIn or something similar.

If that doesn’t work, Windows keeps a backup of these files. Hopefully you’ve got a recent System Restore set which can be used to recover it, and failing that there will be a copy which was created during install. This is more complicated so I’m not going to write it up here until you’ve exhausted the options above.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

bfore ubuntuing, you still need to create the usb, boot disk, using XP, for example. Other than that go ubuntu

Cougar

If that’s a reply to me, I’m not suggesting installing Ubuntu (as I don’t believe “format it and start again” is a valid solution to minor computer problems despite what the Linux evangelists would have you believe) – UNetBootIn creates a bootable USB key from an ISO image.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Woo! I said the same as the house geek computer whizz!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Not really a reply to you Cougar, but XP is a lot to fit into an Aspire. I changed one of mine to ubuntu, and i won’t go back. (I have no frigging idea how to!!)

Cougar

In fact, do me a favour,

Can we all just stop suggesting “install Linux” every single sodding time time someone posts a simple Windows issue please? It’s getting as bloody tedious as the iPhone onanism.

I like Linux, but a) it’s not the correct solution for everyone and shouldn’t be installed uninformed, and b) wiping a system is a last resort, not a first step.

Seriously guys, engage brain before telling people to format their computers. It’s bad advice, and it’s previously caused me hours and hours of work repairing the damage when people have followed well-meaning suggestions like this without really knowing what they’re doing. If you absolutely must recommend Linux because otherwise your head will burst, please point people in the direction of Live CDs.

Ooh, where’d this soapbox come from? *steps off*

Cougar

Sam > Geek is fine, I’d consider that a compliment.

Charlie > that wasn’t directed solely at you, just to be clear; it’s been boiling for a while now. By all means try Ubuntu (the netbook remix is pretty funky), but run it from a USB key and try before you ‘buy’.

Cougar

Oh,

Sam > chkdsk is the most likely to work, you’re right; I only suggested LKGC first because it’s considerably easier to try. (And I wasn’t clear, but if LKGC works you’ll still need to do a chkdsk, but you can do it from within Windows then).

samuri
    Free Member

Woo! I said the same as the house geek computer whizz!

But I haven’t said anything yet.

Cougar

Geek fight!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Make a USB backup before it goes wrong for netbooks…dam too late.

I take it you have a spare pc etc – make a bootable USB with system repair or windows boot.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thanks – yes I have an identical netbook which does boot! So will make a bootable USB or DVD (got an old external drive) and give that a try. What causes these corruptions?

Waderider
    Free Member

I disagree with most of what cougar says on this thread. He is all over ever IT thread on this forum like a rash, dispensing one sided advice on how to resolve IT issues. Repairing Windows is just a sticky plaster on a festering rancid wound, installing Ubuntu is rejuvenation and the elixir of life, as well as a universal panacea.

Ubuntu all the way. Every time.

Cougar

Waderider – dispensing one sided advice

Let’s see… from this very thread:

Cougar – I like Linux

Waderider – Windows is … a festering rancid wound

One sided?

He is all over ever IT thread on this forum like a rash,

Pardon me for trying to be helpful. The way I look at it is, I’m a total neophyte when it comes to bikes but at the risk of blowing my own trumpet I’m kinda pretty good at my job. By piping IT help and advice in, for free, I feel that I can ask stupid MTB questions and ultimately karma is balanced. I can stop doing it if you like?

Ubuntu all the way. Every time.

Anything “every time” is patently wrong. Single speed every time. Full suss every time. Helmets every time.

Cougar

(follow-up edit deleted, I can’t be arsed)

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Windows XP netbook problem’ is closed to new replies.