Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Windows 7 machines networking conundrum
  • TheBrick
    Free Member

I’d be questioning this out of the gate. Does it? Why? What specifically works with W7 that demonstrably (rather than claimed) doesn’t work with W10? I’ve seen this argument a hundred times and 97 of them turned out to be horseshit.

My bet is it is running codesys / beckhoff twincat 2 or similar / one of its derivatives. This involves some kernal level drivers. It only runs on 32bit and some of the older versions on windows 7. Upgrading would require HW upgrade and possibly software upgrades. It’s likely to be on IPC or PLC. The world of industrial machinery is very different to normal software as long life cycle support is expected. Plenty of stuff out there 30 odd years old. Infact even older.

Usual solution I have dealt with and has been approved by multinational IT companies is a private network with one route though to one computer for file transfers or whatever is needed. No general internet access. This can then be highly monitored. Yes attack is still a possibility but things can be highly restricted to minimise risk.

Saccades
    Free Member

I was talking about this, from win7 to 10

https://azuremarketplace.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/apps/legacyboxltd1599224386505.legacyboxsaas?tab=Reviews

We are looking at it for some PSD equipment we have.

Cougar

Interesting. How does that work with on-prem hardware?

tomnavman
    Free Member

If you have ongoing support from the supplier, I would be pushing this problem their way. Honestly, how are they proposing to support this system for the next x number of years?

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Windows 7 machines networking conundrum’ is closed to new replies.