Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Windows 7 Homegroup
  • tarquin
    Free Member

Struggling to setup a Homegroup.

Two computers, both windows 7, fully updated and legit. Sync’d the clocks, checked that ipv6 and 4 is installed on both machines. They are both connected to the same router/network and security is set to home network.

I can setup a Homegroup on either machine, but the other one can’t see it.

Run the windows troubleshooter on both with no success, have previously networked computers in the past on windows 98, Xp with no issues so I would like to think I know what I am doing just this won’t work for no reason. Seems to have been over simplified, the only thing I can think of is that the router doesn’t support it, but its a pretty modern one as we have only had the Internet here a year.

Dancake
    Free Member

Do you use a password on your login?

I am pretty sure I had issues when I had an open login on both machines (no password) so I set a password on both and it was ok afterwards. Probably not your isue but woth considering

tarquin
    Free Member

Both have passwords and are admin users.

Cougar

Can they ping each other?

Is one wired and one wireless? Have you got wireless isolation enabled on the router?

Are you using some form of “total internet security” type product or other third-party software?

Does W7 identify your LAN as a private (home) network?

captainscrumpy
    Free Member

when you setup a homegroup on windows 7 it provides you with a password for that one. Restart the other computer, go to Control Panel/Network and Internet/ Homegroup. Join existing homegroup. Input password for pre-configured Homegroup.

Worked for me on windows 7 and windows 8 RC

tarquin
    Free Member

Can they ping each other?

Is one wired and one wireless? Have you got wireless isolation enabled on the router?

Are you using some form of “total internet security” type product or other third-party software?

Does W7 identify your LAN as a private (home) network?

Both are wireless, unsure on the router setup, it’s a technicolor one which was supplied by the ISP.

Have AVG installed on both machines but nothing else.

LAN is identified as a home network.

Scrumpy, tried that, that’s the standard setup method which should work!

Cougar

Have AVG installed on both machines but nothing else.

Disable AVG’s Linkscanner (or better yet, uninstall it temporarily).

Cougar

Google “avg homegroup”, lots of people reporting issues.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Windows 7 Homegroup’ is closed to new replies.