Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Windows 10 – S Mode and Approved apps . . . .
  • spekkie
    Free Member

Slowly migrating from my HP Windows 7 machine to a new HP Windows 10 machine.

On the Windows 7 machine I’m using a program called “Free File Sync” to back up all of my documents libraries onto an external HDD. I also use the same program to backup the Primary HDD, which includes all my media files, to a secondary HDD. The program works well.

I wanted to put the same program onto the new machine but Windows tells me I must only use approved programs when in S mode. I understand why but all the similar programs come with “in app purchases” etc which I don’t want.

I can exit S mode, but then apparently I can never come back . . .

Can anyone recommend a good sync program that works both ways and is approved for W10 but won’t hammer me with pop ups?

simon_g

Give File History (built in) a go, it should cover a lot of that.

Multiple backups may be tricky though, and the workarounds to it require command prompt access which S doesn’t have.

Cougar

Why would you want to be in S mode anyway?

You could write a one line script to Robocopy differentials. Personally I’d just shove it all in OneDrive.

scuttler

I used to use MS Synctoy to a NAS but am now committed to Office 365 Home (6 ‘family’ users, 1TB Onedrive per user) so will be using that. I got O365 for a steal from Argos (39.99 for year minus about £7 for the crappy AV it was bundled with) so will continue to look out for deals as it appears you can stack licenses for up to five years.

I have used robocopy in the past and I’m sure there’ll be plenty of established commands to help do the job you require.

garage-dweller

@cougar

Isn’t the idea that it’s a bit lighter as an OS as well as having the security advantage of MS vetting stuff?

I moved off S on our netbook and then when it went for a total rebuild under warranty it came back with S.

I think if all you want is Internet access and office it might make sense or am I missing something?

Agree wouldn’t make sense for more diverse use.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Windows 10 – S Mode and Approved apps . . . .’ is closed to new replies.