Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 234 total)
  • "Winchester" area ride – Saturday 8th May. May/may not include bluebells!
  • cinnamon_girl

Er, I'm leading the Whippets …

tootallpaul

I'll probably be a slacker- unless living at altitude has made me fit enough to compensate for not having done any serious riding since January…

timwillows
    Free Member

Only just spotted this, but as i'm a local it looks like an ideal first STW ride for me.
    I'll go with the whippets, unless its wet – then I'll plod along with the slackers

cinnamon_girl

Better mention that on-the-day weather will play a very large part in route choice/s.

Why does almost everyone want to be a Slacker? 😉

cinnamon_girl

Am recce'ing the Slackers Ride tomorrow, must remember to slow down. 😉

You Slackers are going to miss out on some fun stuff … but the good news is there's plenty of other good stuff to be enjoyed. 😀

Modest? Moi? 🙄

Oh and of course I will be checking for bluebells!

TreeWhatTree….
    Free Member

How did the recce go?

poppa
    Free Member

I can't make the ride unfortunately, do you know if anyone will be recording a GPS of the route or anything like that?

Anna-B
    Free Member

slackers….whippets…. can't we just all cycle together? It's a social thing!

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

That was my thinking this weekend with the Purbecks ride Anna. Can't see the point of all meeting up, shaking hands and disappearing for the day. You can go fast on your normal rides, these are supposed to be about meeting people and riding new places aren't they?

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Sounds like a good point to me, I'm happy to ride in any group but would be good to have a massive social…

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for your input. 🙂

At the moment we are trying to more or less have one group. Let me explain … currently looking at possibility of Slackers putting themselves and bikes in an STWer's van for a different start point. This would mean a saving of some 5/6 miles so that naturally means more singletrack and fun stuff. 8)

The Whippets will catch us up at some point so we can either ride as one group or stay in two. It therefore means the Whippets will have a longer ride.

If, by any chance, there is anyone else with a van who would be willing to transport Slackers bikes and bodies, that would be brilliant. E-mail in profile if you prefer.

cinnamon_girl

Route is sorted and it's a good one. Classic XC. 8)

Bluebells have been spotted but need a wee bit longer to be at their best.

Don't forget there will be a 'happening' after the ride, with a request for a couple of quid charity donation. Unfortunately I really can't say exactly what it is but you will enjoy it. 😆

cinnamon_girl

poppa – shame you can't make it. Is a gpx route any good for you?

pedalhead
    Free Member

Looking forward to this one! 8)

cinnamon_girl

pedalhead – don't suppose you fancy swopping bikes? 😉

Any news on the new one?

Anna-B
    Free Member

The thing is which group do I go in if I think I'm a slipper/whacket/slacket/whipper….. ! 😉

pedalhead
    Free Member

Bring the Ocoee and we can swap for the day 😀 . I finally gave up on the new one yesterday & asked for my deposit back. Nearly 8 weeks into a 2 week delivery was getting a bit silly. Now thinking I might snaffle a bit more away for a while & go full custom later this year or next. Will probably get a cheap & cheerful steel frame to keep me going for a while though in the meantime.

cinnamon_girl

I had an idea – I'll ride the Ocoee on the uphills and your Blur on the downhills. 😆

That's a shame about the Ti. Quite happy with my Soul, running 120 Fox's. Not a patch on the Ocoee obviously. 🙄

cinnamon_girl

Just a thought … folk may need some reassurance that we will NOT be parking in the town centre which gets extremely busy. As mountain bikers, we are relegated to the outskirts of town and thus avoid parking charges 😀

Bigface0_0
    Free Member

Seems to me like its going to be a good day out… I guess someone coming is half decent with a camera, would be good to have a couple of pics??

cinnamon_girl

It will be a GREAT day out. 🙂

It's a shame that Mr Poddy will be unable to join us, he normally does a really job of recording Forum Rides.

So … a polite request … who is good behind a lens?

pedalhead
    Free Member

Well I'm not great but I always bring a camera and I'm fairly trigger-happy 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

If I come I will take flattering images

cinnamon_girl

pedalhead and rOcKeTdOg – thank you. 🙂

leftyboy
    Free Member

Can you post an idea of the route? I'm hoping to attend once the Doc let's me back on a bike!

cinnamon_girl

leftyboy – it will be undulating but all ride-able. Some steep descents, fast singletrack through the woods, a gully, water. Am hopng to make Slackers ride a bit shorter than 52km.

If you have a full-suss, bring it but, equally, hardtail/singlespeed will be fine.

Hope you get good news from your Doc.

tootallpaul

Looks like I will be there now the Ash has shifted- looking forward to getting out in the UK spring- won't be back for again for a couple of years…

cinnamon_girl

Everyone – final details including link will be posted up next week. We could be in for a treat with bluebell displays. 😀

Paul – pleased you can make it!

pedalhead
    Free Member

Excellent, thanks for your planning as ever CG 🙂 . Looks like I'll be bringing along a mate too for this one. He's treating this as his "birthday ride" as he's thirty…something (I've lost count) a few days later.

cinnamon_girl

pedalhead – we are indeed honoured. 😀 Your friend will have a memorable birthday. Of course we do not age-discriminate at all on the Forum Rides 😉

pedalhead
    Free Member

heh I should mention I'm older than he is 😀 . He's not been out on the bike much lately, so expect much puffing and whinging, but that's all part of the fun isn't it (unless you're the one doing the puffing and whinging).

cinnamon_girl

It's a broad church on STW, hell, they even let middle-aged birds like me on here. 😉

Reassure your friend that he will fine in the Slackers group – Auntie C_G will be on duty!

pedalhead
    Free Member

Well, I'm honour-bound to stick with him, so I'll bring the jelly babies and be sure to make him regret his decision with frequent photos of his struggle 😀

Brooker99
    Free Member

Hi All,
    Been watching this thread with interest.
    I live in Kingsworthy and one of my regular loops takes in Alresford and Micheldever (another over Farley Mount way, oh and another to Cheesefoot head and around).
    Can't commit to joining or not ATM but will see how things pan out next week.

One word of warning though – King Charles in KW has closed down. Not sure if is was on your route for a munch stop.

Would love to see a map of what you've done/doing. intrigued by the thought of a gully and water (unless thats cress beds).

The rain over the weekend has left a lovely slippery sheen on top of hard ground. Made last nights single track through the woods more exciting.

oh – I also saw bluebells in the woods alongside the andover road from Winchester this morning!

cinnamon_girl

Hi there Brooker! Hope you can join us but a gpx will be available afterwards.

Am not intending to stop at a pub. From past experience, some mid-Hampshire pubs do not welcome mtb'ers and, quite frankly, are only interested in the 'well-heeled of Winchester' types. 🙄

Of course, chalk is lovely when damp. 😉

pedalhead
    Free Member

I haven't been back to Winchester since I was at uni there, oh…a few years ago. Should be a nice trip down memory lane. Not that I can remember an awful lot about that hazy period 🙂

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Pedalhead how long ago were you at uni there? Did you ever sample the delights of the Mash Tun and the company of burping Ron?

pedalhead
    Free Member

I was there for a couple of years 1994-1996. I remember the Mash Tun yes, though only went there a few times. We tended to stay further up town or in the SU bar. Ah, good times indeed.

Steelsreal

the mash tun is now a trendy tapas bar don't you know, no more sitting on the floor listening to bands…

Is there aroute for this ride yet or is it a secret, could make it with the wife childcare dependant…

There are a few pubs that don't mind grubby people on bikes just have to route them out…

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

the mash tun is now a trendy tapas bar don't you know, no more sitting on the floor listening to bands…

Or sitting on the comfy sofa around the fire getting slowly hammered on a cold winter evening. I used to love that pub.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 234 total)

The topic ‘"Winchester" area ride – Saturday 8th May. May/may not include bluebells!’ is closed to new replies.