Will Ferrell – I don't get it…

Home Forum Chat Forum Will Ferrell – I don't get it…

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 50 total)
  • Will Ferrell – I don't get it…
  • Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

Will Ferrell is funny but only in roles where he wears a wig.

Stranger Tan Fiction was good.

Premier Icon tomdebruin
    Subscriber

One word: Anchorman 😀

loddrik

I'll agree but he was playing it straight.

Shake and bake Ricky Bobby.
    Talladega Nights and Anchorman are two piss funny films, his other stuff has been a bit meh but I'm hoping the new one with Mark Whalberg should be ok and he hasn't gone like Adam Sandler.

I dont get him either. Americans do have a different type of humour to us brits, maybe thats it?

jamiep

I think The Other Guys is good – Anchorman with car chases

I don't get it either.

Then again, I don't get Everybody Loves Raymond or King of Queens.
    Well, I do. In the former, our protagonist goes out of his way to avoid his awful mother and in the latter we're supposed to marvel at just how that fat, lazy, philistine managed to get such a hot wife.

However, those are literally the only jokes. Utter one trick ponies and yet those series have gone on for years.

Even at the more intelligent end of the spectrum, I do not understand the acclaim that was heaped upon Arrested Development and 30 Rock.

I enjoy Seinfeld, Frasier, Curb Your Enthusiam etc, but some aspects of American comedy continue to confound me.

I have no doubt that Americans would say the same about My Family or Two Pints of Lager and I'd have to agree with them.

loddrik

Seinfeld is the best show ever created btw!

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

I've yet to see a film where he's even slightly amusing.

Few funny shows come out of America and tend to be their cartoons.

loddrik

Why does this guy keep making films with the profile they have. I read somewhere that his films have the lowest profit ratio of any Hollywood 'star' and he is completely unfunny. Eddie
    Murphy makes shite films but at least he is funny.

Does anyone actually think will Ferrell is funny?

diggers

try It's always sunny in Philadelphia

Premier Icon IdleJon
    Subscriber

Drac – Member
    I've yet to see a film where he's even slightly amusing.

On the whole I'd agree, but I'm always tempted to answer the 'phone "Buddy the elf, what's your favourite colour?"

And he was good in Zoolander, so I can forgive hime some crap….

_tom_

Anchorman was funny but I've seen it far too many times now.

Jamie

Few funny shows come out of America and tend to be their cartoons.

Check out Arrested Development. I will wait patiently for you to return and eat your words 😉

Zoolander and Old School are the only two you need to see.

Premier Icon xherbivorex
    Subscriber

some of his stuff (notably anchorman, stepbrothers and some of his cameo type roles) is amongst the funniest of comedies, but he has done a lot of mediocre (at best) stuff too.
    however, for me, he's one of those people (along with seth rogen, jemaine clement, vic reeves, richard ayoade, matt berry and rich fulcher to name but a few) that i can't help but laugh at almost whenever i see them.

if you like arrested development and/or seinfeld, then watch "it's always sunny in philadelphia". described as being "seinfeld on crack". it's the best new (non-cartoon) us comedy show i've seen in the last 10 years or so.

American sitcoms are the best these days. I prefer the American version of The Office (after the 1st series) to the UK one, I think the actors are funnier really – certainly Steve Carell is far better than Ricky Gervais.

coogan

Eddie Murphy is funny?

loddrik

See bowfinger, trading places and stand up

coogan

So meant Eddie Murphy USED to be funny.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Yeah suppose some of his cameo roles have been ok and yes I may give you he was funny in zoolander.

Jamie there is one or two but not many.

Actually someone mentioning Ricky Gervais covered it, far too overrated and only funny when he's not doing his normal role he plays.

badnewz

zoolander, old school, and also stepbrothers essential.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Lasted 10 mins, if that, with Stepbrothers.

badnewz

Lasted 10 mins, if that, with Stepbrothers

So does that mean you think its a bad film? Do you last for more than 10 minutes at anything before passing judgement?

Premier Icon MSP
    Subscriber

Ferrel takes 1/2 hour ideas and makes them into full length feature films, even the good ideas contain too much padding to hold interest throughout the film.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

So does that mean you think its a bad film? Do you last for more than 10 minutes at anything before passing judgement?

If it so bad it makes me switch off after 10 mins then yes it's a bad film. And no not anything but some things just aren't worth wasting any more time with.

Hahaha! Look it's a man acting like a spoilt kid, woooahhh there's two of them and they're going to have to share a room. What utter hilarious stuff could happen.?

he did this 1 man show were he played g.bush.it was shown on ch4/e4 i think

Premier Icon D0NK
    Subscriber

drac re stepbrothers, don't worry you missed nothing, I was sublected to the whole lot and it was rank from start to finish. As are most of WFs stuff I've seen, telldega I only managed to watch until sacha baron cohen appeared on screen (another non-entity comedy wise) watched half an hour of blades of glory before switching channel. Elf wasn't too bad, not seen anchorman, he seems funny in the bit parts he does but his films are rubbish.

brakes

Ron Burgundy is a legend

but the rest of his stuff along with the other usual suspects (Vince Vaughn, Owen Wilson, Steve Carell, Paul Rudd) is amusing at best

badnewz

drac and donk, do you get bulk discounts on your remote control batteries?

Premier Icon IdleJon
    Subscriber

badnewz – Member
    drac and donk, do you get bulk discounts on your remote control batteries?

Is the only reason for continually watching crap that you can't afford batteries for your remote?

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

He gets his WF DVDs in the bargain bin of supermarkets for £3, that's all there seems to be in them. Saves him a fortune on buying good films.

Starrman28

I like him, Elf is ace…. 🙂

BTW, Curb is the best comedy to come out of the US….period!

Took me a while, but I have much appreciation for him now – obviously Anchorman, but really love Elf too….and I normally can't tolerate that kind of stuff.

Now did someone say Arrested Development? Blummin brilliant that.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Bewitched. Watch it, he takes the piss out of himself really scarily honestly. Think about it, if you were being paid millions to be sh*t, you'd still do it wouldn't you?

l sacha baron cohen appeared on screen (another non-entity comedy wise)

Ali G was funny, but SBC's comedy Zenith is definitely King Julian from Madagascar. Pure genius. The plane crash scene from the second film is one of the funniest things I've ever seen on screen 🙂

badnewz

Is the only reason for continually watching crap that you can't afford batteries for your remote?

Luckily I have a longer attention span than 10 minutes. I made a mistake earlier though. You boys can power your remotes merely through mentally channeling your hatred for WF movies towards the TV screen. Could make a good scene for the next WF movie, as he's good at portraying sad, judgmental smug losers.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

You really have taken some offence by those who don't like him. It's all a little pathetic.

timdrayton

Cant view vids on the phone but google his neil diamond thing off of saturday night live genius

Anchorman is one of my favourite comedy films ever

mooman

Agreed. Friends stole huge chunks from Seinfeld.

As for Will Ferrell …. very funny guy … not always in very funny films.

Blades of Glory…fookin hilarious

Jamie

if you like arrested development and/or seinfeld, then watch "it's always sunny in philadelphia". described as being "seinfeld on crack". it's the best new (non-cartoon) us comedy show i've seen in the last 10 years or so.

Watched first 4 episodes. To be honest I am struggling. It's a bit more like Curb than Arrested Development and not a fan of Curb at all.

Will stick with 1st season and see how it goes tho.

Premier Icon IdleJon
    Subscriber

badnewz – Member

Luckily I have a longer attention span than 10 minutes. I made a mistake earlier though. You boys can power your remotes merely through mentally channeling your hatred for WF movies towards the TV screen. Could make a good scene for the next WF movie, as he's good at portraying sad, judgmental smug losers.

I don't hate anyone, badnewz, least of all a fairly mediocre comic actor whose films are easily avoided.

As far as abusing forum members for turning over when they don't want to watch your favourite loverboy on screen, I'd have to ask who is showing the hatred?

Perhaps you should even learn how to read properly, and then you might see that I like Zoolander (one of my favourite films in fact) and Elf to a lesser extent.

🙄

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

😯

I have hardly seen such dreary stupid nonsense as Seinfeld. I've got absolutely no idea what on earth was meant to be funny about it? Some people do some stuff, and the guy's got keerazy hair. Did I miss something?

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

No molgrips I think that sums it up well.

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Will Ferrell – I don't get it…’ is closed to new replies.