Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Will a Middleburn chainring last as long as 3 Deores?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Because that’s how many you can get for the same price, and nowt shifts like Shimano rings….
    (I’m talking Deore steel middle)

Discuss.
    🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

I doubt it.

But Middleburn unramped rings look much better singlespeed or 2x than a deore middle ring.

njee20
    Free Member

By next week Deore will probably be 3 times as expensive as Middleburn at this rate!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

By next week Deore will probably be 3 times as expensive as Middleburn at this rate!

LOL! yeah good point actually….

It’ll be covered with a bash ring, so looks aren’t important.

Stoner
    Free Member

actually an M510 32T deore ring will cost you £14.67 from Ultimate pursuits a middleburn will cost £20 from CRC so its not far off already…

trailmonkey

Slightly different criteria than longevity, but I found I was buying other than Shimano because I couldn’t get 34 tooth middles.

Jamie
    Free Member

I just replaced my XT 36t middle ring (well big ring as i am running 2+bash) with a Deore 36t yesterday. Only cost £7.92 from wiggle….wonder how much more it would have been in a couple of weeks? Was tempted to go for Middleburn or something like that, but as you say i can get 3 of the Deores for the price of one Middleburn.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Jamie, yeah I want a 36t for the same reason as you.

Can you get the new XT/SLX composite rings anywhere yet? They’ve been out long enough but CRC don’t have them…..

ziggy
    Free Member

You don’t want to know the price of the XT rings, I’ve just had a look 😯

Longest lasting chainrings are easily TA, about £25 ish for a middle size.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ziggy, ahh, go on, go on…..
    🙁

righty
    Free Member

steel v alloy 🙄

ziggy
    Free Member

£36.20

crazant
    Free Member

I was in Ride On the other day and spotted a XTR middle ring….How much…£97 …yes 97 quid for a chain ring….mad..

glenp
    Free Member

Surely steel will last longer than ali?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Woah!

Deore it is then!

psling
    Free Member

Thing is, people make choices not just by price (or indeed value). I mean, how many ‘supermarket special’ MTBs could you get for the price of your beast of choice?

Will 50 or so £69 specials last longer than say, oooh, an IF ti deluxe? Mmm, thinking about it, probably not; so, as you were then 😉

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah, but that’s a whole different level than the difference between Deore and Middleburn, isn’t it?

🙂

psling
    Free Member

Can’t beat taking things to extremes on here 🙂

The steel Deore rings on a bike of mine have probably lasted longer than any other chainrings I’ve got (Middleburn, RaceFace, Forge). May be a bit heavier but I’d need to look in the mirror before worrying about that too much!

martyntr
    Free Member

My middleburn rings last for years rather than months. Brought a whole new set of rings last spring when I converted from a duo to triple, and they’re as yet pretty much as new. The teeth wear well and they last forever especially if you go for hardcote. Infact make sure you go for hardcote… 🙂

epicyclo

Surly and On-One do stainless rings. SIngle speed stuff but will still work with gears, just not as slickly. Last forever though.

Jamie
    Free Member

Actually after re-reading my post i have ordered another of the m510 Deore rings as a spare seeing as stock is running out in most shops. Only 4 left at wiggle now and CRC are sold out.

nickc

Middleburn with a hardcoat last no time at all. Shifting is noticeably worser as well

Yardley_Hastings
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of middleburns on my hardtail that I originally got in 2007, rough estimate is >5000 miles and there is still plenty of life in them yet, and they’ve had some hammer. Considerably more durable than Shimano stuff I’ve had but possibly not x 3.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

actually an M510 32T deore ring will cost you £14.67 from Ultimate pursuits a middleburn will cost £20 from CRC so its not far off already…

Yeah, thanks for the tip Stoner, it looks like the price is going up so I’ve ordered 2 36t (I’m going double and bash) from Wiggle for £15 the pair. So that gives me a spare for both geared bikes as the 32 & 44 rings off my Pitch are virtually unused (2 rides)
    🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Will a Middleburn chainring last as long as 3 Deores?’ is closed to new replies.