Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • WIGGLE RANT!
  • westkipper
    Free Member

I dont know if anyone from Wiggle looks in here but if they do a suggestion; please get rid of these tracking cookie thingmies that follow you round the internet popping up with your previous viewed items
    You're innocently looking at some serious news or science site and up pops a whole lot of picures of womens cycling underwear and Carbonsports wheels 😳
    It makes me hesitant to go to Wiggles site!
    CRC, please never do this!

grumm
    Free Member

Huh?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

He means that when you're browsing on other random sites the advertsing that pops up is often for Wiggle, and stuff you're interested in.

miketually
    Free Member

up pops a whole lot of picures of womens cycling underwear and Carbonsports wheels

It only ever shows me the last few things I looked at. Been browsing the underwear section? 😉

grumm
    Free Member

I'm confused though, where do these ads appear? As popups? I have never had this happen.

mudsux
    Free Member

I doubt it's a tracking cookie.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I'm confused though, where do these ads appear? As popups? I have never had this happen.

Can't remember any of the sites I've seen it on, but they just appear embedded in the page.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

yeh, its happend to me a few time,very annoying, especially after you've bought the item, and its standing a few meters away from you!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I've seen them as well and wondered who was watching me look at what. I've only just twigged that it's wiggle stuff I've looked at.

You're right, bloody annoying. It is enough to make you think twice about going to wiggle (especially as there's so little to choose between the big two).

cullen-bay
    Free Member

i prefer crc anyway.

eckinspain
    Free Member

I've noticed that too. On facebook the wiggle ad at the top of the page had some winter boots I'd been looking at and the roadie seat-post that someone on here had bought by mistake!

Shandy
    Free Member

Yeah they are stalking me around the internet too.

ASOS do the same thing.

uplink
    Free Member

You guys need to sort out your browsers & security somewhat

DezB
    Free Member

You guys need to sort out your browsers & security somewhat

Why? It's only adverts for gawds sake. They ain't gonna come and burgle your house while you're sleeping !!

julianwilson
    Free Member

especially as there's so little to choose between the big two

apart from the stock! Everything I ever want to buy on wiggle is out of stock. Perhaps I am fussier but I don't remember there being such little choice on there a few years ago. Rims? yeah, about six in each size, etc.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Arrrrggghhhh!!!!
    They've got me too. Stop showing me adverts for things I've looked at but really can't afford – that's why I didn't buy them wigglemeister 👿

DezB
    Free Member

Yay – I've found an example! http://dictionary.cambridge.org/

Don't click it if you're worried about getting home from work and finding all your bikes gone and your family slaughtered 😉

allthepies
    Free Member

>I doubt it's a tracking cookie.

I would imagine it is done via tracking cookies.

chakaping
    Free Member

I know exactly what you mean Kipper.

Bit of a FAIL, as I believe the kids say.

From a commercial perspective, they need to make it show you ads for things you didn't look at, but might want to based on what you did look at.

westkipper
    Free Member

Aye, Its the whole privacy thing that annoys though. If you dont go on their website for a few days, then the ad's stop, so its a double fail.

BTW, I was only looking at certain areas of the site because, hud oan, let me think about this.. oh aye, as an experienced and helpful cyclist, I am often asked by many beginners, including women, about all areas of cycling , and feel that it is only responsible that I should research things properly 😕

spooky_b329

Just clicked DezB's link and yep, some of the stuff there is stuff I've looked at in the last few days. This could be a real pain though seeing as my gf has recently bought my xmas present…could end up getting a sneak preview!

traildog
    Free Member

It appears to be this

Limy
    Free Member

Its a tracking cookie thats dropped onto your comp when you visit the Wiggle website. Allows them to see everything you have looked at where you entered and exited the site from and too, if you are a repeat visitor and your IP address etc.

Wiggle then use a 3rd party tool which has thousands of websites in its content network (pinkbike being one of them) to dynamically create banner ads that are personalised to you and what you have recently viewed. Clickthrough rates for these ads are higher than standard banner ads.

Amazing technology really.

P.S they dont actually know its Mr John Smith etc as they dont get any info like that from ISP's which is how they are allowed to do it.

Limy
    Free Member

Sorry forgot to mention that also as its done using Cookies and not IP address then no need to worry about other people in your street (IP address sometimes shared) seeing what you have been looking at.

grumm
    Free Member

Ah – I just clicked on DezB's link and didn't see any adverts – was a bit confused until I remembered why. 😉

wwaswas

you can set your browser to clear cookies when you exit if it really bothers tou.

DezB
    Free Member

traildog – Member
    It appears to be this

Would you like your clients to come back more frequently and buy more?

Do they really believe it does that??! Idiots.

zaskar
    Free Member

Upgrade your browser and internet security?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘WIGGLE RANT!’ is closed to new replies.