Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Wiggins not racing Tour De France
  • makeitorange
    Free Member

Sorry if this has been done, but it just popped up on my facebook feed from Team Sky:

Wiggins out due to knee injury.

steveoath
    Free Member

Damn you,

MODS: delete my other post!

makeitorange
    Free Member

I had read that even at full fitness this year’s course wouldn’t have suited him and it would have been unlikely for him to successfully defend his title. Still a shame though.

crikey
    Free Member

Various suggestions that this is rather fortunate given Sky’s Tour Leader conundrums, and eyebrows raised at the ‘too much float in the pedal’ theory given he uses Speedplay pedals which are renowned for their float…

spawnofyorkshire

if it avoids the soap-opera ‘who’s the team leader’ stuff then I’m pretty happy. Froome has been in great form this year and deserves his team leader status, especially as the parcours suits him more than wiggo.

It’s a shame wiggo couldn’t defend his title, but GB has a good follow up man in Froome

edlong
    Free Member

There’s this speculation all over twitter too. Personally, I don’t reckon you could get to where Wiggins has, making the sacrifices and putting in the blood, sweat, tears and complete and utter commitment that he has, if you’re the sort of bloke who spits the dummy out and sulks off on a sickie when you don’t get your own way.

Look at his history, he’s not one to walk away at the first sign of adversity, is he?

butcher

if it avoids the soap-opera ‘who’s the team leader’ stuff then I’m pretty happy.

I was quite looking forward to it 🙁

crikey
    Free Member

Personally, I don’t reckon you could get to where Wiggins has, making the sacrifices and putting in the blood, sweat, tears and complete and utter commitment that he has

along with every other pro cyclist….

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Whatever the reason, he should be on good form for the Vuelta this year so I’d imagine him doing well in that.

crikey
    Free Member

Whatever the reason, he should be on good form for the Vuelta this year so I’d imagine him doing well in that.

Except I believe Richie Porte was expecting to be Team leader…

jimster
    Free Member

Makes my fantasy Tour team easier to select.

mooman
    Free Member

Cant say i am surprised he has pulled out.
    The Giro didnt go as he planned.

I am still not convinced he would have pulled out of the Giro if the TT went as he planned. Even less convinced he would have the knee probs if he was given number one spot for the tour also ..

geoffj

Strange wording from Brailsford – it appears that they’ve made the decision rather than Wiggins himself.

cakefacesmallblock

Brailsford calls the shots. I’m certain he’d not put an ailing defending champ up if there was a chance of causing further knee issues and would rather get him back out fully fit to go later.

mooman
    Free Member

The Vuelta is not likely to suit Wiggo either.

Maybe he will give Tour of Britain a proper go this year?

samuri
    Free Member

NOOOOOOO! We love you brad!
    Get well soon.

What am I going to do with these sideburns now?

JCL
    Free Member

Basically the problem is there are three or four guys who will tear him to bits in any Tour mountain stage. I can’t see him winning another grand Tour.

enigmas
    Free Member

TT world champs maybe? End of the seasons and it’s his specialty?

stanfree
    Free Member

Shame for Bradley and as I really cant take to Froome I’m really not bothered who wins this year. If I was sure Contador was completely clean I’d be backing him . I think even a fit Wiggins would have been destroyed by Nibali in the Giro .

riderideride
    Free Member

wiggo pulled out cos he didn’t want to be 2nd fiddle to froome-dog,he’s just stuck 1 finger up at him,an said spin on that! dave was just on sky sports news blah blah blah

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Is Nibali racing le Tour? Him and Astana looked bloody strong in the Giro, I hope he can maintain his form if he’s racing and whup that bellend Contador.

Lifer
    Free Member

Froome’s pretty much had Bertie so far this season, Dauphine will be interesting (I’m backing Froome)

riderideride
    Free Member

nibali is going for velta & road champs

anagallis_arvensis

Its one of lifes great disappointments to me that Froome looks so ungainly on a bike whilst Contador is a joy to watch pedal as i **** hate the **** Contador.

edhornby

I always thought the idea that you could go full gas in the giro and then carry that form into the tour was a bit hopeful to say the least

the knee thing is probably marginal but the chest infection will have blown any attempt at re-peaking for the tour

he could have a good go at the vuelta, no reason why he couldn’t do it

mudshark
    Free Member

wiggo pulled out cos he didn’t want to be 2nd fiddle to froome-dog

Well my Wiggo contact tells me Wiggo has been spending quite a bit of time in Harley St recently.

brakes
    Free Member

great disappointments to me that Froome looks so ungainly on a bike

he’s really honed that daddy long-legs style

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Wiggins not racing Tour De France’ is closed to new replies.