Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Wifi Range Extenders Can you Reccomend one
  • SuperScale20
    Free Member

Hi All Wifi Range Extenders Can you Recommend one I am currently looking at Netgear EX7300 which comes in around £65.00. Does anyone have personal experience or recommend a good extender.

All advice appreciated.

disco_stu
    Free Member

I have this TP Link Powerline extender with Wifi, it’s been working for for a few months or so.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA4220KIT-Powerline-Broadband-Configuration-UK/dp/B01LXOZ4EN/

HughStew

I got some Google Wifi extenders that create a Mesh network, they work well and you can have the same netweork throughout the house, not cheap tho’ £266 for three of them.

lovewookie

I’ve got a couple of the TP-Link range extenders that you plug into a socket, works a treat. plugged in to a socket near the window and I get decent wifi signal in the shed.

nickingsley
    Free Member

Using Devolo Wifi extenders that plug in to sockets and they work a treat.

rossburton
    Free Member

Don’t get a range extender, just get a proper wifi mesh system. Range extenders can be so shoddy. My inlaws have TP Link wifi extenders, roaming doesn’t work so you need to be in the right room when connecting and if you want to move, disconnect and reconnect.

benbrownuk

We’ve had a BT mesh system for probably a year now. It’s been great, seamless moving between the different hubs and infinitely better than various extenders we’ve tried before.

This one

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Ive just bought these so i get the net ok in the garage to run zwift etc , works a treat 🙂 .. recommended from here a few weeks ago
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D9CC637/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

countrybumpking
    Free Member

I tried tp link range extenders, work really well if you just want to boost signal for simple uses like internet browsing and connecting to email that just involve a single receiving device. But be aware that extenders receive the WiFi from your main router and broadcast it as a separate network, even if you use the same password to connect to it, so if you have series of, say, networked music streamers (such as sonos or similar) or a wireless printer in one room and a laptop in another (basically anything networked) you might find that none of the devices can communicate with each other or with your phone/tablet because they will connect to competing WiFi signals broadcast by different extenders or the router.

A mesh system broadcasts the same network but from several locations so is different and should in theory work much better. Probably better still, unless your house is huge is to spend more money on a single very powerful router just to keep things simple, and set it up well.

All of the above is hopefully useful, but definitely very dull.

scotroutes

I use the fairly basic TP Link plug-ins.

No problem roaming in the house, or connecting to devices on the “other side” of the extenders.

Completely problem free.

I installed them when we moved into the house almost seven years ago and not really looked at them since. They’re about as troublesome and as interesting as a 13A socket.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Thanks All country bumpking so I have sonos around house and also network printer based on this is it best I keep away from mesh system. I just wanted to extend signal to studio, does that mean best to keep away from Mesh system. I was not aware you could get more powerful routers any recommendations?

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

As above the BT Mesh system is great – the “mini” 3 pack is about £100.

Murray

Tenda Nova MW6 mesh for me – works brilliantly

countrybumpking
    Free Member

OP, I don’t know much about the mesh systems but my understanding is that they broadcast the same network but from a series of devices that you place strategically around your home to give better coverage. Plug in extenders broadcast their own WiFi signal and even if you give it the same name and password as the main routers WiFi it will still be a different WiFi network.

Lots of people on here seem to love mesh systems so they might be great but not tried one myself but I have naim audio kit and Naim don’t recommend mesh for their stuff because they can “prevent devices on your network from talking to each other”

I saw a glowing review of the tp link archer C2300 router recently. £110 on Amazon. But there are loads out there.

All of the above is what I learned through research and trial and error, I’m not an IT professional.

If you’re using a router supplied by your ISP it’s likely to be shit anyway so more or less any aftermarket router or mesh system will be better.

countrybumpking
    Free Member

Also Scotroutes had no problem with range extenders but I definitely did and I have one in a cupboard that’s no use to me now- there’s a fair element of luck with networking I find. It’s a dark art!
    All the best

pedlad

I’ve had power lines for a few years but seemed to drop out more recently and stop playing nicely with sonos (only some rooms showing from some places or whole system not visible).

Another vote for Tenda nova mesh. Cheap compared to other mesh systems and a bit fiddly to set up but in two weeks now and v pleased.

disben

Another vote for Tenda Nova MW6 mesh – had it about 3 weeks and just about forgotten it was there! Just does its job!

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Hi All based on the Tenda Mesh MW6 are we talking about 2 pack or 3 pack?

Thanks

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Thanks all for your support with what to get in the end purchased 3 pack Tenda MW3 and works perfectly – Best £59.99 spent purchased from currys with Price Match. We can notice the speed difference in the house already so BT router not as good as they say.

Looking forward to new vodafone setup now BT did offer discount of a £1 but I think I will stay with £23.00 for next 18mths.

boomerlives
    Free Member

The BT Mesh system has the added advantage that if you ring up and whine that the hub doesn’t reach around your house, they’ll send you some for free.

Sui
    Free Member

Hi, i have the Tendar Nova MW6 3 pack, but only use 2 x nodes as it’s plenty. It does 2 x floors of ~190m2 each and reaches 50m down the garden to the cabin (where i might put the 3rd)..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The BT Mesh system has the added advantage that if you ring up and whine that the hub doesn’t reach around your house, they’ll send you some for free.

Hmmm.. sounds good, you did this boomerlives?

FuzzyWuzzy

Is anyone running a Tenda setup with 4 or 5 nodes trouble-free? They seem remarkably cheap and most reviewers seem happy with them for 2 and 3 node setups, just wondering there’s no hidden issue with larger deployments? My father lives in an old house with thick walls and I want to get him off his powerline adapters as they’re frankly pants but I also don’t want to become daily/weekly IT support for his WiFi issues :p

boomerlives
    Free Member

Nobeer – I did.

My house is 3 floors and the Xbox’s on the top floor were struggling. I rang and moaned that ‘their wifi’ couldn’t reach the all around the house so 2 came in the post!

Easy to set up and improved matters no end.

Schweiz
    Free Member

Boomerlives,

I’m guessing that you are paying (handsomely) for BT’s complete WiFi product, whereby they will send you up to 3 mesh transmitters as required.If you buy the discs as standalones, they certainly won’t send you additional units for free.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cheers boomer, I’ve got 3 as well, that cover the house perfectly, but could do with one out in the summer house, which I may need to feed via ethernet as there’s a concrete building between the mesh system and the summer house…

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Wifi Range Extenders Can you Reccomend one’ is closed to new replies.