Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Wife in collision with cyclist, advise please.
  • KINGTUT
    Free Member

This morning, chap didn’t give way at a junction and went straight into the side of her car, she and my daughter are fine (as is the cyclist) but the car has considerable damage.

Anyone any (sensible) advise on how to claim for the cost of repairs from the cyclist?

Stoner
    Free Member

If you have his details then just pass them to your insurer.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Wasnt in Sheffield was it?

GrahamS

Did you find out if he was insured? (e.g. CTC members have third-party insurance as part of membership I believe)

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Bristol.

Thankfully she has his details, I’ve told her to report it to the Police first then contact the insurance co.

nickjb
    Free Member

How considerable is the damage? Once the insurance company gets involved it’ll cost you time and money. I’d start with a polite request to the cyclist, not a p=ss-take insurance figure but an actual cost of repairs.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you don’t report it to insurers it may void a future claim, I’d just pass it to them.

RustySpanner

Any witnesses or CCTV?

jon1973
    Free Member

If you don’t report it to insurers it may void a future claim

It may void a future claim for that incident if you don’t report it at the time, but not any future claims for unrelated incidents. It’s fine to settle incidents amicably without involving the insurance company.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – Member

Any witnesses or CCTV?

Unfortunately no witnesses, not sure about CCTV.

ditch_jockey

Report it – sadly there are some right chancers around, and if the cyclist decides to press a claim, she’ll be stuffed if she hasn’t informed the police and her insurers.

crazy-legs

First thing is to get an estimate from the garage of repairs/damage/costs etc. Then contact the cyclist and request payment for it. All amicable and without the need to bump up your premiums.

If the cyclist contests it or refuses to pay then it’s time to involve the insurance. Bear in mind that it’s quite possible the cyclist doesn’t have insurance (unless he/she is a member of CTC or British Cycling) and will probably be keen to settle this as cheaply as possible. Once you start involving insurance, the costs will go up dramatically and they may be less likely to be able to pay in the first place.

uplink
    Free Member

I’d report it to the insures too [and probably the police] the other guy wouldn’t be the first to ‘go away and think about things’ only to come back with a story that’ll be so far removed from what you remember, it’ll make you wonder if somehow somebody’s mixed the paperwork up with another accident altogether

cynic-al
    Free Member

jon1973 – Member

If you don’t report it to insurers it may void a future claim

It may void a future claim for that incident if you don’t report it at the time, but not any future claims for unrelated incidents. It’s fine to settle incidents amicably without involving the insurance company.

Incorrect.

Your claim & loss history affects the premium & therefore must be disclosed for future policies – to not do so may render a policy voidable at the Insurer’s instance.

In practical terms the Insurer would have to find out about your loss, which may well be unlikely, but given I work in a simlar field and have seen insureds lose £100Ks for this reason I would not risk it.

j_me
    Free Member

What cynic-al says. You can notify your insurer of an incident. Then if need be claim at a later date.

Cougar

Interesting question. Assuming the cyclist has no insurance, which is likely, how does this play out if the cyclist refuses?

If there’s a collision with an uninsured driver, the repairs come out of the MIB pot and the driver gets prosecuted for driving without insurance. In a situation where insurance isn’t mandatory, such as road cycling, what incentive is there for the cyclist to do anything other than say “I’m not paying, ring your insurance”?

richc
    Free Member

Tell the insurers, I recently had an accident (someone drove into the side of me as I was driving around a roundabout) person wanted to settle it cash, but when he got the bill decided I drove into him and its all a mess.

The sorting it out cash never works out, as people think that £100 will sort out any damage, and it won’t

cynic-al
    Free Member

Insurers can sue him, likely (as with uninsured driver) it ain’t worth it and Insurers (& next year’s insureds) are out of pocket

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

When MrPP had a car/bike interface we were told that the house insurance would stump up. Luckily the first claim went through an inept solicitors firm and 3 years later they asked us for the details again, we told them if they had lost them we could not remember who our insurance was with etc. The second bike/car interface the guy did not claim (thankfully)

br
    Free Member

If there’s a collision with an uninsured driver, the repairs come out of the MIB pot and the driver gets prosecuted for driving without insurance.

I could be wrong, but doesn’t MIB only cove personal injuries and death, not damage?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Turns out the details he gave are false.

D0NK

was going to say police usually aren’t interested unless someone is injured

Turns out the details he gave are false.

ouch thats not good. police then, leaving accident without giving (correct) details or whatever.

(edit) for what good it will do.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1, burn him :ggggrrrrrrrr:

clubber
    Free Member

Wait at the same spot, same time for a while then raise a mob when of internet hardmen when he appears 🙂

Call your insurance and notify police, not a lot else you can do at the moment

teef
    Free Member

Don’t take what your wife said as exactly what happened – there is usually more than one version of the truth.

hora
    Free Member

uplink – Member
    I’d report it to the insures too [and probably the police] the other guy wouldn’t be the first to ‘go away and think about things’ only to come back with a story that’ll be so far removed from what you remember, it’ll make you wonder if somehow somebody’s mixed the paperwork up with another accident altogether

POSTED 2 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Read this and understand that unless you log the incident with the Police AND the insurer in 2yrs time you’ll receive a claim from nowhere for damages and injuries caused when your wife drove into the cyclist.

I wouldn’t trust anyone and would have it recorded everywhere for future cover.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

teef – Member

Don’t take what your wife said as exactly what happened – there is usually more than one version of the truth.

Ok I’ll bite, she’s my wife I’d trust her version of events over and above someone who gives false details.

Clubber, she has seen him before at around the same time, he has a very distinguishing feature so we could be in for a lynching. 😉

mooman
    Free Member

It is best to report it to the police, and to your insurance company.

A car drove into the back of my wifes car, whilst she was stopped at traffic lights. The fella was full of excuses and appologies. Anyways, there was witsnesses who gave their details etc and she takes down the drivers details etc. and when she got home informed the police, who said unless anybody was hurt – then just report it to the insurance firm. They did give her a crime report number.
    Anyways – she was not injured, only shook up, and her car was a few years old and I could see no real damage. So she decided not to have the car taken away for inspection as the insurance company offered (they would no doubt find something and write car off because it was a few years old.
    About 18mths later, she recieved a letter from an insurance company informing her that this same guy was claiming against her.

Luckily she had kept the police crime report number and witness details. It could have been different if she had not!

dogbert
    Free Member

Tell the insurers, I recently had an accident (someone drove into the side of me as I was driving around a roundabout) person wanted to settle it cash, but when he got the bill decided I drove into him and its all a mess.

The sorting it out cash never works out, as people think that £100 will sort out any damage, and it won’t

Had virtually the same issue. Woman ploughs into wife’s Smart car in a car park. We’re shopping and the cars parked. Woman driving a Mercedes ML, virtually no damage to hers, plenty of damage to ours. Husband calls after 4 days saying “probably don’t need insurance to be involved, get a quote and we’ll sort it out”

Got the quote, over 1200 quid, suddenly the back peddling starts and lots of “its a Smart car, how does it cost that much, take it to another garage blah blah blah!!!” Unfortunately he didn’t take into account that Smart are Mercedes and don’t get the half price because it’s half a car.

Go through insurance every time, that’s what you pay for and everyone is friendly until they realise it’ll be more than £50

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

You report it to your insurance company and they have your car repaired under your insurance. The recovery of of the costs is not your responsability its the insurance firms. You do not have to work out who is to blame. Thats why you report the accident, if you take matter in to your own hands your on your own. Dont do it.

rootes1

always worth taking pics of damage and also people involved..

wallop

Whereabouts in Bristol did it happen?

hora
    Free Member

About 18mths later, she recieved a letter from an insurance company informing her that this same guy was claiming against her.

Luckily she had kept the police crime report number and witness details. It could have been different if she had not

Again +1.

Cyclist gets an ambulance chaser company to ring your insurer up saying ‘he pulled out on me and I haven’t been able to work since’.

m1kea
    Free Member

Just to play devil’s advocate, I wonder if there’s a interweb thread currently running about ‘some dozy tart pulled out in front of me, yadda yadda yadda’?

I’d fully expect to see that sort of thing as unfortunately it is usually the cyclist who comes off worse. Of course I’m not saying this is what happened and it doesn’t sound good that the fella has apparently given bogus info.

£37 for a year’s CTC membership is a no brainer .to me

aracer
    Free Member

Bear in mind that it’s quite possible the cyclist doesn’t have insurance (unless he/she is a member of CTC or British Cycling)

Assuming the cyclist has no insurance, which is likely

I’m always amazed at the ignorance on here about this issue. The vast majority of cyclists have 3rd party insurance.

aracer
    Free Member

£37 for a year’s CTC membership is a no brainer .to me

Not that I’d suggest CTC membership is a bad idea, but in relation to incidents like this, how specifically do you think it helps you?

hora
    Free Member

I’m always amazed at the ignorance on here about this issue. The vast majority of cyclists have 3rd party insurance.

I don’t. Do I need it?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Aracer?

How are we insured? I know I’m not unless I’m at Swinley.

Not that I’d suggest CTC membership is a bad idea, but in relation to incidents like this, how specifically do you think it helps you?

CTC membership includes 3rd party insurance cover and legal costs IIRC.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

really? I am not and I don’t think I know anyone who is

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I get my thrid party via BC, rather than the CTC … but the benefits are:

Legal assistance for not at fault
    access to solicitors who will assess whether or not there are reasonable prospects of succeeding with a legal action against a third party. If our appointed solicitors are satisfied that there are reasonable prospects of success and you are resident in the UK a claim can be pursued on your behalf.

Third Party (Public) Liability Insurance
    If you are involved in an incident that was (or is alleged to have been) your fault or partly your fault your insurance cover indemnifies you in respect of a successful third party claim made against you to a limit of £10 million and you will not be liable for the payment of any insurance ‘excess’.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Wife in collision with cyclist, advise please.’ is closed to new replies.