Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Wife in collision with cyclist, advise please.
  • HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Whats the damage to car? I’m surprised a bicycle can actually do considerable damage. Is it just paint work? dented? smashed windows?

aracer
    Free Member

I am not and I don’t think I know anyone who is

I’ll bet you, hora and tinas all are, along with most people you know. Hence the ignorance. Last time we did this on here (surprised you missed it) people were claiming they weren’t insured but ended up realising they actually are.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

[edit]

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    crazy-legs

Sometimes accidents while out and about are covered under Home Insurance Policy. Depends of course if you have Home Insurance (I don’t!). Also depends on the T’s & C’s of the Home Insurance Policy and any exclusions.

And it’s bugger all use if the guy has given false details.

As mentioned, I can’t understand why someone would go out onto public roads on a bike often worth thousands of pounds (add up the cost of your cycling clothing, I bet that’ll run into several hundred on its own!) and not have insurance. I have that through my membership of British Cycling.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Dented bonnet, scuffed bumper and dented wing

He hit it hard.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yes crazy, but 3rd party doesn’t cover your £thousands of kit, only the person you hit.

And I’ve never had home insurance that covered me for liability? Usualy legal assistance is an option, this pays for a solicitor to fight your corner, but if you’re sued you still pay out not tue insurers.

Otherwise whats the point in car insurance if my home insurance would cover it?

aracer
    Free Member

And I’ve never had home insurance that covered me for liability? read the terms of my home insurance properly

FTFY

Otherwise whats the point in car insurance if my home insurance would cover it?

Because home insurance doesn’t cover motor vehicles – it’s a specific exclusion on all policies (along with aircraft and watercraft).

3rd party doesn’t cover your £thousands of kit, only the person you hit.

Neither does CTC/BCF membership. For everything else there’s M&S contents insurance 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I am not. I am sure of that. I very much doubt the vast majority of cyclists are.

aracer
    Free Member

I am not. I am sure of that. I very much doubt the vast majority of cyclists are.

You have no home insurance?

You seriously think that most people don’t live somewhere covered by home insurance?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

As aracer says – standard house insurance has covered me for 3rd party loses for collisions while on my bike in the past. No better or worse than the basic CTC/BC package (AFAIK).

njee20
    Free Member

I’m surprised a bicycle can actually do considerable damage. Is it just paint work? dented? smashed windows?

I rode into a car that turned across me, 2 doors, a wing, bumper and a window. £3500 on a Lexus IS200 apparently. It’s easy if you try!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hmmmmmmmm

Well out of interest I did look at my policy and I have public liability – does that really cover me for 3rd party claims on my bike?

I am suprised.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Well out of interest I did look at my policy and I have public liability – does that really cover me for 3rd party claims on my bike?

Believe so. Example – many moon ago, while I was at Uni, my parents house insurance happily paid up when I was in collision with a car (all my own fault – still have the scars) without any quibble. Had similar’good’ experiences on my own policy more recently.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

The insurance company have confirmed that if they can trace the individual one option they have is claiming from his home insurance.

Cougar

You have no home insurance?

I don’t. I do however have buildings insurance and contents insurance. I know not of this “home insurance” of which you speak. Which one of these provides me with third party liability insurance?

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Contents.

Cougar

And that provides insurance for other people’s property in the event that I damage it accidentally?

Wow. I think I need to check my policy.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

According to my wife’s insurance company, in her situation it does.

clubber
    Free Member

Cougar – Member
    And that provides insurance for other people’s property in the event that I damage it accidentally?

Wow. I think I need to check my policy.

It’s actually pretty standard on content insurance IME – it’s certainly something I check for before taking out any insurance policy.

aracer
    Free Member

I am suprised.
    pwned 😆

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m always amazed at the ignorance on here about this issue. The vast majority of cyclists have 3rd party insurance.
    really? I am not and I don’t think I know anyone who is

Only those of us who’ve smashed themselves into a car 😳 will have actually checked this out I reckon. I know I’m covered by the public liability part of our house insurance. I checked. And I reckon pretty much everyone with house insurance will be covered just the same…..

CountZero

In common with a few on here my brother had an incident at a junction at the bottom of a hill in town; he was in a line of traffic, the vehicle in front pulled away and he moved forward and stopped as something was coming from his right. Muppet behind assumed he was pulling away and was looking right and didn’t stop. Cue my 6’4″ brother screaming invective at the driver as he picked up his CB750KZ, with smashed rear light, tail fairings and mudguard. His shouting actually brought the ladies out of the wool shop nearby to see what was going on. Driver admits responsibility, couldn’t do otherwise, and opts to pay cash. Now this was fifteen or so years ago, and the bill for repairs was then £250, quite a lot of money. There was a long pause on the phone, before the driver says ‘bloody hell, that’s expensive, d’you mind if we do it through the insurance?’
    He’s still riding the bike too, after his 1200 Bandit got totalled a couple of years ago, and him nearly with it. That driver wasn’t insured, either.
    I’d always go via the insurer.

mbr30
    Free Member

Tricky one this.the police wouldn’t need to be notified as it’s not a recordable accident,ie damage only.however,the cyclist failed to provide his details so commits offences whether traffic based or even criminal damage.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

The vast majority of cyclists have 3rd party insurance.

Do they? I don’t, and I don’t know any others that do….

Turns out the details he gave are false.

Oh well. Just be grateful no-one’s hurt, put it down to experience and move on.

yunki
    Free Member

wee in her shoes.. 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

Do they? I don’t, and I don’t know any others that do….

Have you read the rest of the thread elf? Do you have home insurance?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh I haddunt thought of that actually. Does it cover you if you crash yer bike into a car?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

apparantly so Elf. News to me as well

aracer
    Free Member

Where’s GG? Can somebody get him to come on here and claim he doesn’t have 3rd party insurance for riding a bike? My day would then be well and truly made then 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Oi – Ill withdraw my post if you gloat too much

aracer
    Free Member

I’ll stop now, TJ – at least until next time the Tower Hamlets Assertion gets used 😉 Really hadn’t expected to get quite so much enjoyment out of such an innocent thread 🙂

Anyway, back to my original point (we’ve well and truly derailed the original topic now haven’t we?) – I’m amazed at the ignorance on here about this. It’s like we’ve been brainwashed by the motorists “you don’t pay road tax, you don’t have insurance”, when the reality is that the motorists have to get a licence and specific insurance whilst we have a right and are covered by generic liability insurance (we all know about road tax don’t we?) The thing is, whilst motorists go round killing thousands of people every year and causing millions (billions?) of pounds worth of damage, as cyclists we cause so little in the way of injuries and damage that it’s not a problem to cover us under generic insurance. Such an important point that it really surprises me such a cycling advocate as TJ not knowing – well you do now, HTH.

As for CTC membership benefits, there are all sorts of other reasons for joining and I’d hate to put anybody off, but we’ve covered 3rd party insurance. As for legal cover, well I have that under my contents insurance too, but even if I didn’t http://bikeline.co.uk/ – my personal experience of making claims using legal cover suggests that it makes very little difference – legal cover won’t help you to fight any more of a hopeless case than NWNF.

hora
    Free Member

I’d still advise your insurance company and the Police/get a log even if the lad gave false details. In 2yrs time he’ll pop up and simply say your wife wrote them down wrong and challenge me/show me the details.

Yes your/her premium will go up however you haven’t claimed.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Doorbell went at 9.30 last night, two Policeman had come to let us know that the chap had made contact with them as he was worried he had given the wrong details, the address was his old house, but the mobile number was completely different. so draw your own conclusions from that, anyway looks like he had a crisis of conscience.

So we now have the correct number and address for him, this will be forwarded to the insurance company and I will also be contacting him to ask him to pay the excess.

Hats off to the Police though, considering they are pretty busy at the moment.

hora
    Free Member

HURRAY 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

and I don’t know any others that do….

Yes you do! 😛

Viewing 35 posts - 41 through 75 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Wife in collision with cyclist, advise please.’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts