Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Wide bars with little or no sweepback?
  • MSP

I currently have some nukeproof warhead riser bars, width at 760 is good. But I find the sweepback is too much, although I expect 9 degrees is fairly standard.

They feel like they are designed around someone with much narrower shoulders than myself spreading their arms out, rather than how I hold them with my forearms parallel/slightly turned in.

Anyone got any suggestion for wide bars without sweepback or with less sweepback.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

Renthal bars are 7 degree backsweep iirc. They certainly feel nice for my orang-utan arms 🙂

mrdestructo

Fuzzhead, that’s not a complete statement. Renthal Single Wall Motorcross bars (about £44) come in all sorts of shapes. They are BMX stem fitting, and you can use commonly found shims to fit standard stems (ie. not OS) You have to use the brace or they’ll snap, this makes the weight go up obviously. They are great for trail vibration reduction. Only used them on a Bighit bike where I wasn’t overly concerned about the weight though.

The Renthal site has diagrams off all the bars I think with sizings, although not sure it has degree measurements, so you need to get paper and a protractor out, that’s how I ended up buying the ones I did (16degs sweep, 8degs upsweep, 32″ wide, that I cut down to 29″ to suit me)

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Renthal Fatbars aren’t BMX fitting. 31.8mm.

LongboardSi
    Free Member

Blackspire 808s.

Not sure on sweep, but in the region of about 4 degrees – much less than I like anyway. You wanna swap? (although not sure about ‘only’ having 760mm)

brant
    Free Member

El Guapo Ancho

oxym0r0n

Look at RaceFace bars – most of them seem to have less sweep I think

mrdestructo

Gas Gas Trials Geometry

As I thought, they measure the single wall bars sweep in mm’s. For riders who need something straighter than the normal, you’ll want to figure out the length from centre to where they start to sweep, draw it (scaled?) on a piece of paper, use a protractor to measure the degree sweep for say the 50mm sweep one, and then figure out the mm sweep you need (in mountain bike geometry measurements) and look through the range to see what suits in the rise you want.

MSP

It looks like the El Guapo Ancho for the win, the blackspires and race face are listed as 8 and 9 degree backsweep, renthal may not be quite enough.

Out of interest, how do the grips fit in everyone else’s hands. Currently I only seem to actually grip the bars with the outside edge of my hands,
    I only really noticed because I hurt my wrist in a crash a few weeks ago, hadn’t really noticed before, although I have always tended to just rest my hands on top of the bar on non technical sections and when climbing.

andyl
    Free Member

before you swap bars try moving your elbows in and rotating your wrists.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

how about a bit of round bar?

no sweep at all

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Wide bars with little or no sweepback?’ is closed to new replies.