Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Why such little oil in pike lowers ?
  • jamesoz

If you buy a full service kit, the lower bolt is now engraved with 10 not 5ml.

Jordan

tjagain

I put a few ml extra on one oil change – the fork ramped up more quickly at the end of the travel. IIRC about 10ml was enough to do it. In another set I put in 100ml extra – no differnce in performance noticable – so it very much depends on the design. ie how much volume is left when the fork is fully compressed

Absolutely this^. The pike manual I have is from 2014 – present(not sure what year was present when it was published). Anyway, it states 15ml non drive side leg and 5ml drive side. Going back to the example I gave earlier, the drive side leg is the one with the damper unit effectively rendering the stanchion solid when it travels into the lower. So has a high compression ratio and lower oil level. Non drive side leg only has the stanchion walls travelling into the lower. So, much lower compression ratio and higher oil level to balance things up.

otsdr
    Free Member

NDS stanchion is capped at the bottom as well. Oil ingress on the air side will simply make the fork harsher (due to reduced negative volume), while on the damper side will most likely blow the bladder (on a Pike).

Jordan

otsdr

NDS stanchion is capped at the bottom as well

Your right! My bad, forgot about the seal head. Please excuse my talking bollocks :-)%

Viewing 4 posts - 41 through 44 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Why such little oil in pike lowers ?’ is closed to new replies.