Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Why no urge with road bike manufacturers to introduce a new wheel size?
  • withersea
    Free Member

Or are they considering a different shape?!

trail_rat
    Free Member

can you imagine the UCI shit fit.

MSP

650b is a road wheel size, has been for many years before adoption by mountain bikes.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Simple – road bikes are selling well and mountain bikes aren’t.

ratherbeintobago

This.

650b is a road wheel size, has been for many years before adoption by mountain bikes.

That’s 650C. 650B was an obsolete French touring size, IIRC.

orangeboy
    Free Member

They have been there and done it already with 650c
    Was all the rage for a bit but not now

wwaswas

There was a bike with 28″ wheels in Evans yesterday.

asterix
    Free Member

650C, 1998

orangeboy
    Free Member

Oh 28 that sounds interesting ,
    Maybe it will make the roads come alive

mrhoppy

They’ve got Di and discs to be going at at the moment.

klumpy
    Free Member

Weren’t tiny brompton size wheels shown give a significant aero advantage, but then ruled to be too “un-bicycley” to race by whoever it is who rules on stuff like that..? Someone here posted a black and white piccie of a bunch of guys racing them on one of those bicycle NASCAR track things.

njee20
    Free Member

Weren’t tiny brompton size wheels shown give a significant aero advantage, but then ruled to be too “un-bicycley” to race by whoever it is who rules on stuff like that..? Someone here posted a black and white piccie of a bunch of guys racing them on one of those bicycle NASCAR track things.

Moulton?

The UCI doesn’t like things that don’t fit their incredibly narrow view of what a bicycle looks like!

brooess
    Free Member

Road biking is using the ‘need’ for discs as an excuse to phase out the standard we’re all currently very happy with.

You’ll also note in the recent trade shows that a few manufacturers were touting wider tyres as ‘necessary’

Funnily enough, both developments, whilst offering only marginal benefits to only one element of the ride, require purchase of a complete new bike…

One of the problems with the basic design of the bicycle being got right first time in the late 19th century is constant and unnecessary dicking about with minor points of detail

patriotpro
    Free Member

give em chance…they’re only just getting disc brakes

avdave2

The chainwheel is as big as the wheel on those Moultons, it looks like the guy in front is on a trike!

njee20
    Free Member

There’s all sorts of reasons they’re better than ‘normal’ sized wheels. IIRC BenCooper of this parish is a big exponent of their advantages.

Yeah road has all sorts of current ‘must haves’ – wider wheels, discs, power meters, aero kit etc.

TooTall
    Free Member

I want 32 or 36 on a road bike. It would stop people asking if I had 650s on mine 😥

MSP

To be fair to the uci, in “peleton” racing, a certain amount of standardisation is sensible on safety grounds.

IanW
    Free Member

Never mind wheel sizes what is it with bike photo taken in front of white panelled garage doors. It’s like a genre all to itself.

rOcKeTdOg

Simple – road bikes are selling well and mountain bikes aren’t

End of thread

nikk
    Free Member

One of the problems with the basic design of the bicycle being got right first time in the late 19th century is constant and unnecessary dicking about with minor points of detail

No one is flippin well stopping you getting a late 19th century bike and riding it about. Go on, put your money where your mouth is please.

Blah blah conspiracy rhubarb rhubarb marketers etc etc ZzzzzZZZzzzZzzzZzzZzZ

mattsccm
    Free Member

The initial 650b statement was right but so was the 650c one.
    to put it bluntly, there is no need. Just like MTB;s have no need to keep changing.

bencooper
    Free Member

Oh 28 that sounds interesting ,
    Maybe it will make the roads come alive

It’s even better than 27.5″. The problem with 27.5″ is it’s just slightly different to 26″, so you need different rims and tyres, and perhaps frames. But 28″ is entirely compatible with 700c so only can upgrade your road bike to 28″ with little to no cost.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Thanks , do you think the calipers will still be ok reach wise and what about needing 28″ specific bar tape

JCL
    Free Member

Road bikes are already 29″ so they’re perfect.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Is this why shimano don’t make bikes? Constantly evolving product? In an interview with Nikolai of the bike frame Co he said there is so little to choose from between frames these days that it comes down to personal choice and components. Nothing else to be gained. It was in privateer last year iirc.

Macavity
    Free Member

bencooper
    Free Member

To make the roads really come alive, you could always go to 27″ – it’s bigger than 28″.

tom200

In my youth I had a Peugeot road bike with 27″ wheels, slightly bigger than 700c, therefore bigger than 27.5!
    Why can’t they just use bloody bead seat diameter!

gavstorie
    Free Member

jeez….. 650b is here.. get over it…

chiefgrooveguru

Road bikes are already 29″ so they’re perfect.

Except they’re actually just under 27″ so the same diameter as a modern 26″ MTB tyre…

Bigger wheels would make road bikes slower.

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Has anyone considered that road bikes have been around a lot longer therefore they have tried with x/y/z wheel size whereas mountain biking is a much never sport and still experimenting developing (at an earlier stage in this process than road bikes anyway) therefore the fact that they are trying out different wheel sizes is no surprise as there might actually be something better than what we originally started with ?

Sorry for the huge sentence but i’m sure none of you are reading it aloud anyway…

lesgrandepotato

The recent changes to the trails making them 4% gnarlier hasn’t affected the roads thus they do not need wheels 4% bigger. Really you must pay more attention.

withersea
    Free Member

Ah now I understand thanks to Lesgrandepotato. That’s why I am 4% more knackered on my 26″ bike, but fine on my 69er as the wheel size balances out the extra 4% gnar.

Although come to think of it the roads around yorkshire (excluding the ones on the tour) are about 100% worse than previous years, so what wheel size?

mattsccm
    Free Member

“The recent changes to the trails making them 4% gnarlier hasn’t affected the roads thus they do not need wheels 4% bigger. Really you must pay more attention. “
    I absolutely agree in one way however you are actually 180 degrees out.
    Modern roads are falling apart but MTB trails are getting even more manicured.
    I reckon MTBs will be having a new fangled tyre type soon, without tread.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I want 32 or 36 on a road bike. It would stop people asking if I had 650s on mine

I thought they were 650b? 🙂

edhornby

UCI needs rules on the same wheel size for the neutral service cars in pro races (the yellow mavic ones in the tour de france for example) which drives the standardisation

the white garage door thing ? google the bikeradar OCP thread – a white background to make photoshopping easier

TooTall
    Free Member

I thought they were 650b?

You’re just a big bully 😥

aracer
    Free Member

Pah – 650C, 1997

(and I’d also argue it looks a bit better, but then I would say that)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Why no urge with road bike manufacturers to introduce a new wheel size?’ is closed to new replies.