Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)
  • Why lefties are still weird
  • scotroutes

They could have done a righty with the caliper in front of the leg, just for the hell of it

Cy at Cotic did this for “technical” reasons.

zilog6128

I (still) have the 2nd bike picture in @eddiebaby ‘s post. Bought after the great Cannondale overstock about 10 years ago when Pauls Cycles were knocking them out at (I think) below 50% RRP. Doubt we’ll see those times again any time soon! Getting on a bit now but rides great, admittedly I’ve not ridden a more modern-geo bike to compare it to though. Had the Lefty serviced recently including internals replaced for the new design which was a bit ouch 😂

Was out for a walk in the woods the other day when some dude on a Lefty fat-bike come storming past us, looked like the coolest bike ever! Immediately went on the Internet when I got back, unfortunately it’s quite old now & they don’t sell them new anymore, didn’t seem to be any 2nd hand either. Anyone getting rid of one? 🤣

ayjaydoubleyou

They could have done a righty with the caliper in front of the leg, just for the hell of it

caliper bolts are then in tension, rather than compression of the caliper into the mount.
    Or for the nerds, tension + shear both in the bolt, rather than compression in mount + shear in bolt.

Probably still wouldn’t fail but I can see a whole load more creaks and noises coming from that arrangement

honourablegeorge

Didn’t stop Cotic 🙂

Never mind creaks, I had to get rid of mine, could never get used to the look of it.

configuration
    Free Member

I have an old one; sitting forlornly in my basement, as the main screw on the bottom of the leg (top open up the air chamber) is held in place with a tiny grub screw which has rounded off so needs drilling out. But in use, it was great. Stiffer than conventional type forks, and plusher. Downsides are of course the proprietary front hub (and remembering to remove the brake calliper before removing the front wheel), the needle bearing strips need resetting quite often (travel reduces if they move from their normal position), and it requires some expensive proprietary tools to service. In contrast, Rockshox for example are relatively much simpler and easier to service.

So to summarise; better in operation than a conventional fork, stiffer, and lighter. But much more difficult to service.

kongman28
    Free Member

Cannondale did make a Rightie for a concept bike Rightie

tall_martin

I bought a full xtr 26″ Cannondale scalpel for £500.

The magazines kept saying a 29″ was like having an extra bit of suspension so I bought a bike with 80mm suspension.

It was awesome zipping round the woods.

The forks were weeping
    The brace at the back was snapped/ snapped, I was not sure if it was me or the previous owner
    The raw finish was full factory. On closer inspection having bought it, it wasn’t.

I priced up a service at 1/4 price of the bike and sold it

The next owner found two holes drilled under the bottle cage (I’d never taken the bottle cage off).

I’d have a lefty again if I could service it myself.

It was about half the price of the bike to buy the tools to service it 😱😢

b33k34

Lefty came out in ‘99, SUB in ‘02

Mike Burrows put a single sided fork on Boardman’s Lotus bike in 92?

Those USE forks were terrible.
    Worst performing fork I ever had.

I almost bought a USE (sounds like a lucky escape). Of Structure.bike have an anti-dive ‘fork’ – would be interesting to see how they compared in terms of the amount of anti-dive in use etc.

A lefty is still on my list of ‘wish I’d bought that bike’ regrets

ndthornton
    Free Member

A double sided lefty would be a waste of time. All the required stiffness is inherent in the excellent design…adding an extra leg would fo nothing more than double the weight, cost and stiction.

disco_stu
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure the Lefty evolved from the Cannondale Moto DH forks – which look like a double sided Lefty

1997 Cannondale Head Shok Moto Super Downhill 120 Fork

I wish I’d bought a Beast of the East Cannondale’s the made a few years back.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Ive had a few dales n lefties. Great forks. The biggest drawback was having to tolerate all the tedious and unoriginal “looks wrong” comments from other riders when out and about.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Lovely forks. I had one on my Gravel bike
    https://www.lavelocita.cc/la-velocita-reviews/cannondale-slate-105

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Always wondered what a needle bearing “regular” fork would be like – I guess patents and the service hassle has stopped it happening.

It is not only about patents, neglected Headshocks can get rusty on the bearings and/or races and fixing requires parts available only from Cannondale. Not sure about Lefty, their bearings might be more easily lubricated.

I assumed its more to do with the shape of the bearings and the required direction of motion.
    IIRC The lefty is triangular inside so needle bearings allowing the flat surfaces to slide past each other are a easy. A standard fork has round stanchions so needle bearings wouldn’t work – travel would be perpendicular to the direction of the bearing.

As is fox, rs et al could vastly improve stiffness by going to square or triangular stanchions without resorting to the ever increasing diameter which would remove the associated issues with ever more bushing bind and so on and it would also allow bearings not bushings which again would improve suppleness. Probably cost a few quid to change the production over though.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

See also the Cannondale Headshok which ran on needle bearings

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

All the required stiffness is inherent in the excellent design…adding an extra leg would fo nothing more than double the weight, cost and stiction.

Whilst the stiffness is possible with a single leg, you could easily reduce the weight per leg of a twin leg design as it’s not needed to the same extent, also you’d move the damper and spring into different legs, which accounts for some of the weight and so on. It would also make service and manufacturing that much more standard which means reducing the costs.

Oh, and you’d solve the biggest problem with the lefty – people wouldn’t look at them and think “no” – so a double leg fork would significantly increase sales.

clubby

On my second bike with them. First was an off the peg Cannondale 29er, the current is my custom Saffron designed around them. Takes about three rides to stop looking down and worrying then you just get used to it.

Resurrection

Out of lockdown

cookeaa

I remember going to sign on for Charity ride a few years ago, one of my roadie mates saw a lefty on someone else’s bike for the first time and just could not bend his mind around the concept he stood there and stared like a weirdo…

TBH it is mostly just weird for the sake of it now even with the advantages a lefty brings.

But at the same time I think Cannondale are pretty unique in continuing to design, develop and sell an expensive, non-standard fork, it’s not something that any other manufacturer would consider sustainable enough to keep doing…

Part of me wants to get hold of a rigid single crown Lefty from a Bad boy and fit it on a Gravel bike just because, but then you see what people are asking for them and it gets a quick ‘Nah’ as an idea…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

disc brakes go on the left. I reckon even Cannondale drew the line at creating their own disc brake standard just to get their weird fork to work.

But everything about a lefty is unique ie the hub and fork, so why not do the same with the brake? Or is it that the brake calliper would need to be re designed?

clubby

They did try with their dh fork, but even Cannondale realised it was a bit pointless

https://images.app.goo.gl/q8DmwP9N3ehSXcQKA

coffeeking
    Free Member

It’s just a bunch of problems that need solving for no reason. It looks wrong (which usually means it’s sub-optimal). It looks different for the sake of looking different.

onewheelgood

It’s just a bunch of problems that need solving for no reason

This is a popular thing to say about Leftys. I guess you didn’t watch the video? The reality is that it solves a bunch of problems at the cost of introducing some new ones. And it looks cool, not wrong. How are your car’s wheels attached?

bigyan
    Free Member

I always think they look weird, but cool to see something different.

People often seem to forget car wheels are only support on one side….

Single sided motrorbike rear swing arms exist as well

I dislike the lack of service support, there are now plenty of aftermarket tools if you look around, but refusing to publish service manuals is just annoying.

caliper bolts are then in tension, rather than compression of the caliper into the mount.
    Or for the nerds, tension + shear both in the bolt, rather than compression in mount + shear in bolt.

Probably still wouldn’t fail but I can see a whole load more creaks and noises coming from that arrangement

Are IS caliper bolts not in shear?

Northwind

bigyan
    Free Member

People often seem to forget car wheels are only support on one side….

Yah, but my car’s bearings weigh about as much as my bike, never mind the stub axle.

VanHalen

do the bearing races still migrate downwards like my old headshok forks?

every week i had to turn teh bike upside down stand ont eh handlebars and heave the forks to teh correct length travel. i kid you not.

bloody lovely to ride though when they had full travel. soooo smooth.

docgeoffyjones

Bolts are always in tension, the bolts create friction between the mount and the fork and the caliper. It is this frictional force that resist the load not the bolts. Bolts only go into shear when the applied load exceeds the frictional force.

shermer75
    Free Member

Bought after the great Cannondale overstock about 10 years ago when Pauls Cycles were knocking them out at (I think) below 50% RRP. Doubt we’ll see those times again any time soon!

Omg I remember that! Halcyon days lol

scotroutes

Bolts are always in tension, the bolts create friction between the mount and the fork and the caliper. It is this frictional force that resist the load not the bolts. Bolts only go into shear when the applied load exceeds the frictional force.

Is that true of a Post Mount caliper fitted on the “wrong” side?

endoverend

I like mine when it’s working well. Definitely razor sharp in the steering department and so stiff in the older double crown variety that with a carbon rim it feels necessary to lower PSI to silly low levels or it’s too harsh on a vibration level. Servicing is the big issue, its costly – then every few thousand miles it needs a new lower leg due to the lower bushing eating the stanchion – am on my fourth. When it needs one it’s a £400 service. Buyer beware…do the math, it’s a high running cost just for the sake of being different when other forks are so good. Also the design on mine leaves the lower headset bearings completely exposed with no additional seals, and can go rusty after just a few wet rides, which is by far the most annoying thing as it’s such a pain to assemble… especially with the hammer-fit OPI system. The older non bushing booted variety were technically better IMO…

matt_outandabout

Prior to a lefty, there was of course Headshok.

Imo, it would still be great for gravel bikes du jour.
    Short travel, low maintenance, light, stiff.
    I would like a remake of a Cannondale XS800 or Touring Ultra.

thepodge
    Free Member

That yellow bike is lovely.

sirromj

Half surprised to not see mention of Ali Clarkson’s gravel build on the forum. Think it’s at least partly relevant to some of the discussion on this thread so may as well post it here too:

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Prior to a lefty, there was of course Headshok.

Imo, it would still be great for gravel bikes du jour.
    Short travel, low maintenance, light, stiff.

Spesh do the Diverge with a Futureshock. Similar but only 20mm of travel.

docgeoffyjones

Is that true of a Post Mount caliper fitted on the “wrong” side?

Yes it would not change how bolted joints work. The caliper is still trying to ‘follow’ the path of the rotor

scotroutes

The caliper is still trying to ‘follow’ the path of the rotor

That’s my point.

docgeoffyjones

The bolts are not ‘taking’ the load regardless of how the brake is located.

The bolts just create a clamping force between the caliper and the mount or the caliper and the fork. effectivley the caliper and the mount/fork now behave as one piece of material. The clamping force between them is greater than the load applied by the caliper regardless of the direction of action.

With a convential setup (fork trailing) the compression element of the load is not sufficent to compress the bolts so much that the caliper slips everytime the brake is applied. The same would be true if the caliper was mounted fork leading. the tension element would not be enough to stretch the bolts and lift the caliper away from the fork.

scotroutes

With a conventional setup the caliper can’t slip because it is being pressed against the post mount even more so when braking. It has nowhere to go other than “through” the fork.

If what you’re saying for a front-mounted calipers is that the braking force isn’t enough to reduce the tension of the bolt due to stretching, that makes sense (as long as the bolt isn’t made of cheese I suppose).

walowiz

Confession time I’m a little bit of a Leftie fan. I have two Dales with lefties. Always wanted one and I wasn’t disappointed when I finally got one.

Cannondale Jekyll team edition carbon, lightest FS I’ve ever owned, the carbon Leftie up front is my fave front fork setup. Not only looks as cool as fek, but is damn good (caveat I’m no rad Mtber or racer and I’m sure 10000 STW experts will be along in a second to tell me why I’m wrong)

But I love this bike, despite at every turn finding there is something else Cannondale decided to just go their own with way with. And servicing costs of the fork & in this case shock as well is enough to make me cry. That’s when you can find somewhere that still does it ! Because of that it’s slightly expensive to maintain, the bike OEM is dripping in carbon things, SRAM XXO etc and is super lovely because of it (It’s what it came with.) but the leftie makes it.

Only reason I’d part with it, is if Cannondale did an good looking eBike mtb with a Leftie.

Also have a dale gravel bike, the Slate in green. Another cool looking bike. Which I should sell, but can’t quite bring myself to.

Slate

I don’t know how many times I’ve heard the you’re missing a fork joke when out riding.

lovewookie

Owned a lot of cannondales over the years and a few lefties. Not the recent ones however.

Old ti axle ones, carbon ones, the elo, and lefty max.

The xc ones have all been brilliant. Moving from telescopic xc forks the left took a little getting used to, just because steering accuracy was so much better. I loved the elo. That was a very nice fork.

Didn’t get on with the lefty max though. The constant resetting if the bearings did my head in.

I did own a USE SUB too, that was great, but not great. If it didn’t have the englund air cartridge and had some proper damping it would have been really good. But alas, it was rubbish to ride.

The anti dive worked great though.

sajama55
    Free Member

View post on imgur.com

Othe half loves the headshok,even had a custom Van Nic Zion made with rohloff . Prefers this bike for touring over a modern bikepacking bike.

sajama55
    Free Member

The only problem with the lefty is only one fork leg,less carrying capacity. Headshok solves the problem. The headshok bikes are light and are good for traveling abroad.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 86 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.