Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • Why lefties are still weird
  • sirromj

Really interesting video from Seth about the Lefty fork (of course). I didn’t know anything about them, worth a watch.

scotroutes

Another bloody politics thread?

reeksy

I thought it was going to be about Ned Flanders

dyna-ti

Of course, not the only one legged fork out there. USE Sub I believe predates the lefty. Great looking forks. Glad we have such things around.

shermer75
    Free Member

I thought it was going to be about Ned Flanders

I’m going to open a shop for people with right hand sided forks

shermer75
    Free Member

Really interesting video from Seth about the Lefty fork (of course). I didn’t know anything about them, worth a watch

That might be the first Berm Peak video I enjoyed! Thanks for posting, it was genuinely interesting 👍

ads678

I’ve never ridden a bike with a lefty fork let alone owned one, but ai love them! I always forget to look out for them. Will watch the video.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Great looking forks.

Kuco

I had a Lefty on and an early 2000-something Cannondale Jekyll, fork even back then felt nice.

iainc

iainc

Arghhh 🙄

ayjaydoubleyou

I never liked the older style double crown type. Just from the point of view of aesthetics while riding.
    The newer ocho ones though…

singlespeedstu

Those USE forks were terrible.
    Worst performing fork I ever had.
    The damper was only connected to the fork at one end.🤣
    Just relied on friction to hold it all together.

[url=https://www.flickr.com/gp/stu-b/Y8659GUr0P]2007_1211sub_fork0006[/url] by StuartBrettle, on Flickr

Northwind

Definitely weird but every time I see the lefty fatbike I get a bit warm and breathless 🙂

stevego
    Free Member

I love the one on my older scalpel when its working well (which is after servicing), but it has more frequent service intervals. The new ones were definately problematic. We did the Pioneer in 2019 in crap weather and every bike with a new lefty had issues by the end,

devash
    Free Member

Definitely weird but every time I see the lefty fatbike I get a bit warm and breathless

Didn’t even know they made one until I saw a guy riding one this summer. Had to do a double take, I thought I was imagining it.

spawnofyorkshire

Never ridden a lefty but always liked them. They do strike me as creating a new problem to then solve it

didnthurt

I’ve always liked the look of them.

oldnick

I’ve got one of the early hybrid ones c2013.

All I shall say is “servicing”.

A neat solution in search of a problem.

tomhoward

USE Sub I believe predates the lefty.

Lefty came out in ‘99, SUB in ‘02

Would love to have a go on one, maybe less keen to own, see all the servicing horror stories.

kayak23

Go big or go home.
    Righty tighty.

iainc

absolutely love mine, perfect for the majority of my riding

7-CDAD29-A-023-F-4-E47-9-DBD-232963-D5-D65-A

Daffy

Everything about that English challenges my mind.

monkeyboyjc

Amazing fork – ridden a few and found them to be buttery smooth & incredible stiff (even the early ones). Would love one, there’s been a few times I could afford to one but I can’t justify the dedicated wheel and servicing which has always put me off. Although I did have the headshok version for a while on the commuter bike which was equally brilliant.

multi21
    Free Member

I rode some of the old ones which had needle bearings instead of bushings and they were so unbelievably smooth! Felt like there was zero stiction – vibration just disappeared.

iainc

A better piccy of mine 🤣

7-D0-D2-CD1-E762-4947-BF1-E-E5-E9-FB159453

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

So why are they lefties and not righties?

Genuine question !

honourablegeorge

multi21

I rode some of the old ones which had needle bearings instead of bushings and they were so unbelievably smooth! Felt like there was zero stiction – vibration just disappeared.

Always wondered what a needle bearing “regular” fork would be like – I guess patents and the service hassle has stopped it happening.

mmannerr

Always wondered what a needle bearing “regular” fork would be like – I guess patents and the service hassle has stopped it happening.

It is not only about patents, neglected Headshocks can get rusty on the bearings and/or races and fixing requires parts available only from Cannondale. Not sure about Lefty, their bearings might be more easily lubricated.

onewheelgood

Always wanted a Lefty, they just look so cool, this year I got one.

Such a shame that Cannondale only brought the Fat Caad over here for a year – I saw one in Evans in a sale, almost bought it just because it looked awesome. Don’t need a fat bike, but I’ve regretted not buying it ever since.

rockhopper70

They were lefty as that is where disc brake technology sat, always on the left fork. Cantilever brakes didn’t work on a single leg.

ayjaydoubleyou

Genuine question !

disc brakes go on the left. I reckon even Cannondale drew the line at creating their own disc brake standard just to get their weird fork to work.

chakaping
    Free Member

But why? WHY?

Look at the pictures and the penny should drop before too long.

scotroutes

Another here hankering after a Fat CAAD.

The only bike on my current WANT list is a Topstone Lefty. Way out of my budget though.

ayjaydoubleyou

to be fair that road bike from Kayak23 shows it is possible, but just had a look at the GF’s bike, shimano at least are significantly wider on the outside – which becomes the inside on a righty.

Speeder

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Edit – forgot to press send on this and others beat me to it.

My guess would be that the brake disc/calliper is conventionally on the left of the bike and to switch to the RHS would just have been awkward. You’ve got to pick a side and that seems as good a reason as any.

ayjaydoubleyou
    I reckon even Cannondale drew the line at creating their own disc brake standard just to get their weird fork to work.

Wouldn’t have put anything passed them – this was the bonkers Cannondale of old wasn’t it? Not the Pon sub brand it is now.

ajantom

@dyna-ti Ha, my weird old Global Ti softail + USE SUB.
    Loved that bike, the fork was ok, when it worked!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Loved mine:

0T0A2510

IMG_6261

honourablegeorge

They could have done a righty with the caliper in front of the leg, just for the hell of it

sajama55
    Free Member

Lefties weird? Just ask yourself why do cars have the same system to fix wheels on😄. Have 2 and another 2 Headshok ones . Easy to fix with the correct tools and the Headshok o rings are on eBay. Other halfs F700 (everything replaced apart from frame and fork ) has been everywhere,bought in 2001 for the Great Divide.Always thought a normal fork looked like the front of a wheelbarrow 😂.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.