Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Why is my oil light coming on – Ford Smax
  • ads678

Had a major service about 3 weeks ago, then the oil light came on on the way back from the Alps on Sunday. Oil level seems fine, according to the dip stick and after I turn the car off the light goes out, but after a few miles driving the it comes back on again.

I have no idea about cars really so any help appreciated.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Pressure sensor ?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Dealer creating false alert so as to generate more business ? (Had a number of issues just like this – worst was a claimed £2,500 repair, an independent fixed it – ie un-broke for £60)

I’m deadly serious. Everyone is going to bring their car back in when the oil light comes on, I wonder what the quote will be ?

jamesfts
    Free Member

Oil level seems fine, according to the dip stick

Are you checking it after the car has been left to stand for a while on level ground?

mtbfix

To add to the dip stick comments, is it not perhaps over full?

ads678

Checked dip stick at about 12:30 after car had been stood for 4 hours. Flat parking space as well so should be good.

It was showing at the top end of the dip stick indicator so could be over full but wasn’t above the max level.

I did wonder about pressure/sensor. I’ll keep checking oil and see how it goes……

kiddaclo
    Free Member

Is it diesel? 1.6 engine?

ads678

Jamba, that’s shit but i wouldn’t put it past some garages. It was a dealer i took it to but they seem pretty decent always do stuff in the warranty if they can.

08 car with optional ford warranty that we took out when we bought the car 2 years ago, runs out in April.

globalti
    Free Member

What’s the mileage and does that engine have a reputation for breaking pressure sensors or worse, for failures of pressure?

ads678

Kiddaclo – Diesel yes, but 2.0L TDCI.

ads678

Millage is about 110K, no idea about rep for breaking pressure sensors…

jambalaya
    Free Member

You can buy a dongle to plug into engine computer and a phone app to check codes. Was mentioned in a thread.

Sensors can be good but sadly easy to abuse by untrustworthy. Whatever happens it will need to get reset sometime.

I am cynical after being “burned” (we probably did £300 of unnecessary work) had another dealer replace Cat twice under warranty. Dealer can do this to fleece warranty co – take it in and ask, that won’t cost you anything – do not let them charge you any money. Have a google of car forums (foubd solutuon for my “cat” problem that way = new battery)

ads678

kiddaclo
    Free Member

Not sure if it’s an issue on that engine too but the oil pump failed on my 1.6 tdci and it was acting in a similar way. Engine ended up deaded to death.

jonnym92

Could be pressure..
    I had intermittent oil light issue on my diesel Fiesta, the pick up pipe to the turbo was blocking with sludge from the sump (don’t get me started) it trashed the turbo in the end, replaced and cleaned the pick up lines and all was good. It was the 1.6 tdci engine; I imagine yours is the 2.0l?

rocketman
    Free Member

The oil light indicates a problem with the oil pressure
    You will take the car to a friendly non-franchised garage where they will check the system, reset the light but find no particular fault and dismiss it as ‘one of those things’ £80
    A week later the light will come on again
    You will take the car back to the friendly non-franchised dealer where they will check the fault code with oneoftheirmateswhoworksforFord and tell you only Ford have the kit to fix it
    You will take the car to a Ford garage and they’ll charge you £115 to tell you some sort of oil feed control valve is broken and it’ll cost £450 to replace.
    Armed with this information, you return to the friendly non-franchised garage and they replace said valve for £330
    A few days later while the light will come on again
    You return to the Ford dealer where they charge you £250 for the ‘expert’ technician to look at your car and decided all the oilways are partially blocked with swarf and you need a replacement engine for £3500
    You get the friendly non-franchised garage to reset the light and gingerly drive the car round to the same Ford dealers where you part-ex it

Just saying like

ads678

Might have to get it back in the garage before the warranty runs out then!!

Or go to an independent to get the sensor checked…..

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂

Funny but likely some truth ….

jambalaya
    Free Member

As its still under warranty do that. Be cynical about any story of impending doom not covered by warranty.

ads678

🙁 I don’t like cars….

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Worth checking out. I can’t imagine what it means other than a warning about oil pressure. If the oil pressure is a bit low for some reason then you could be risking oil starvation. Most likely to be a dodgy pressure sensor but not worth messing about with just in case.

Where in the country are you? I can recommend the mechanic I’ve used for 20 years. One of a rare breed who is actually interested in understanding the root cause of issues and fixing them properly rather than just scatter gunning theories and replacing parts at your cost hoping they stumble on the fix (like dealers!).

ads678

I’m in Leeds.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Most car oil lights show pressure rather than quantity so even if its right on the dipstick there could be mo pressure to pump it around. Maybe the garage who did the oil change forgot to fill it back up and ran the engine before they realised thus ruining the main bearings (which generate the oil pressure).

Kryton57

Just had the same in our Kuga 2.0 TDCI

Service six months / 3000 miles ago. However, we had an injector leak we is now fixed. At first I thought the fuel had contaminated the oil and therefore the quality had reduced invoking the warning, because this is how BMW’s system works

A quick call to Ford and no, their system doesn’t work like that, it uses mileage. According to them we must have travelled 12000 miles. Well we haven’t. A short argument means its going in for a free 1hr check next Tuesday to work out whats going on.

Oil checked on level ground etc several times, all good but it is very dark.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Sorry ads678, my man is in Derby.

argoose
    Free Member

Incorrect grade of oil would cause oil pressure light to come on

duncancallum

Piccy of the light?

May be oil condition light if it’s just done a regen

whatgoesup

If it’s oil pressure then it could be either real or just a sensor issue. The sensor is most likely a switch rather than a gauge BTW.

One way to tell is to temporarily replace the pressure sensor with a pressure gauge and find the actual oil pressure. A decent garage should be able to do this.

If pressure is genuinely low its not looking good – either a worn pump, blocked inlet or an internal leak somewhere in the circuit.

If its just the switch then happy days.

stgeorge

Just a possibility, but if its oil pressure light coming on, try a quick oil filter change. I have seen a faulty filter cause these symptoms.

whatgoesup

OP – what was the outcome ?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Why is my oil light coming on – Ford Smax’ is closed to new replies.