Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • why has this forum got such poor software?
  • bonj
    Free Member

Why don't they use better forum software like phpBB like for instance http://www.yacf.co.uk does?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

it's fine

5thElefant
    Free Member

Seems fine to me.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i reckon this is better than php.

4ndyB
    Free Member

the hamster isn't compatible with phpBB.

the forum does lack a few features, Personal Messaging being the main one that springs to mind as not all users have a visible email if you do want to contact them

pstokes99
    Free Member

what it the matter with the 'forum software' – and what difference would it make? The only problems I have ever experienced on here have been contributor generated.

IanMunro
    Free Member

phpBB is great if you want retarded avatars next to each post for people who find reading text too testing. If not it's a bit gash 🙂

retro83
    Free Member

i prefer this to phpBB, invision etc.

Wookster

Quite happy with it TBH now my naff pc well thats another matter!!

woody2000

Is this some kind of unsubtle rival forum promotion by the OP? 🙂

PePPeR

Much prefer this way of looking at forum, the sub divided type do my head in, I never post in the right place or can ever find anything interesting ever again.

This is simples like me 😉

Kahurangi

This forum is simple and does the trick. The forum doesn't generate any revenue for the magazine, it's just a place for readers and hangers-on to hang on.

Avatars will be the death of civilised conversation. Oh wait… it never was..

CountZero

It ain't broke. What are you trying to fix it for? Bugger off and annoy somebody else.

Mark

NO AVATARS! EVER!

🙂

phpBB is just a forum. This site is much more than just a forum. There's a whole news section, trail guide section etc.. The login for one needs to work with the other components of the website. Much more important now we have the premier sections too. All require authentication so the software that powers the forum must be compatible with all the rest of the site. That's why we can't just pick a nice forum and plug it in – it's waaaay more complicated under the hood and will become increasingly so as we roll out the new features of the site in the coming weeks.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Good, I like clean and simple.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

In fact, I recently had a bath, I like myself too!

AlasdairMc

Bonj,

This forum is far cleaner on the iPhone than others, so gets my vote.

Al

elliptic
    Free Member

NO AVATARS! EVER!

Yay to that 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

……and there was me thinking Bonj only had sand in his vagina about iPhones.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

I like it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

bonj, you're obviously just brainwashed by the marketeerz into using phpBB. I mean, at least this site wakes me up even if I've switched it off. The phpBB stuff just drains battery and looks pretty. Don't be a fashion and marketing victim.

Oh and as AlasdairMc says, this site works really well on my iCock 😆

CaptJon
    Free Member

Orangista – Member
    the hamster isn't compatible with phpBB.

the forum does lack a few features, Personal Messaging being the main one that springs to mind as not all users have a visible email if you do want to contact them

Presumably that is because they don't want people contacting them.

bonj
    Free Member

the biggest gripe tbh is if you want to quote somebody, you have to copy and paste, then do it manually – on phpbb it's just one click.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That'z your biggest gripe??

Zo like your iPhone haterz thread, you're becoming milder and milder about thingz…you're juzt a victim of advertizing

4ndyB
    Free Member

Capt jon, so how would you contact someone if they had sold you something, but it had taken far too long for it to arrive & they weren't replying in their for sale thread, IIRC, 'Paging xyz' topics get deleted by mods as they're not allowed…

elliptic
    Free Member

I'd establish email contact *before* sending them any money.

Drac

I like it as it is simple to use, if you find it tricky then I'm sorry there's no hope for you.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

i reckon this is better than php.

"bbpress: Template-driven PHP/MySQL forum software developed by the creators of WordPress. [Open source, GPL]"

Seems fine to me.

I'd say it was adequate, though just this last week it's shown signs of sluggishness again 🙁

GrahamS

Gave the OP the benefit of the doubt and looked at YACF.
    I think that forum could learn far more from this one than we could learn from that one!

Signatures – yuk
    Horrible layout – with very wide text on threads.
    Poor colours – grey on grey with black text.
    Way too split up – I count 33 forums!!
    No character – just looks like every other phpBB out there.

Drac

Looks bloody awful, I guess it does though as it only has 1600 members.

cp

please dear god, not *another* phpBB forum. Hate em.

This one ere works just fine as it is – refreshingly simple.

bonj – do you just like moaning about stuff?

GrahamS

bonj – do you just like moaning about stuff?

Judging by hiz hugely mizinformed iphone haterz thread, I'd say yez! 😉

Dougal
    Free Member

bonj – Member
    the biggest gripe tbh is if you want to quote somebody, you have to copy and paste, then do it manually – on phpbb it's just one click.

Not posting takes no effort at all. How about you try that?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😆 @ GrahamsS

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Mark – Resident Grumpy
    NO AVATARS! EVER!

phpBB is just a forum. This site is much more than just a forum. There's a whole news section, trail guide section etc.. The login for one needs to work with the other components of the website. Much more important now we have the premier sections too. All require authentication so the software that powers the forum must be compatible with all the rest of the site. That's why we can't just pick a nice forum and plug it in – it's waaaay more complicated under the hood and will become increasingly so as we roll out the new features of the site in the coming weeks.

No Avatars, ever… somebody put a bloody P next to my name!
    Not exactly an avatar, but it is a slippery slope guess it kind of makes sense, does it mean we can have funky membership types now? Can I have "long serving noob" as mine? 🙂

scaredypants

only thing I miss is the "who's on" section but I suppose there's too many members now

aracer
    Free Member

All sorts of things not quite right with this forum (some of which phpBB ones do better).

Why for instance can't we have links on our profile pages (where you go to check whether anybody has posted new stuff on threads you've contributed to) which take you straight to your last post rather than the end of the thread – or even radical as it might seem, to the first new post after the last time you read the thread. Given we used to have flags telling us which threads had new posts since we last looked (can't we please have those back too?) I'm sure this can't be too complicated. How about also fixing quoting – not only so you don't have to cut and paste, but why on earth can't we have quotes inside quotes that works properly? Of course it would seem that adding little "P" tags is far more important.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘why has this forum got such poor software?’ is closed to new replies.