Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Why don't we get cheap Chinese mechs?
  • geoffj

A mech is a pretty simple bit of equipment. Do all manufacturers own patents for their specific designs? Surely they cant all hold patents for, or license the basic mech design? So why don't we get cheap Chinese xtr equivalents? 

trail_rat
    Free Member

Feel free to use falcon fis – microshift or suntour mechs………………….

Rather you than me

nicko74

…because at the moment the generics aren't providing the quality of shifting (or innovation) required by enthusiasts such as us. If you're bimbling along the road with the family, fair enough, no pressure. Riding up some grotty rocky hill at some speed, where a mis-shift could leave you sprawled all over the ground – personally I'll stick with the established names 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Why bother whe you can get cheap Japanese mechs? Never heard of Deore? Or Tourney 😉

juan
    Free Member

Because they already are the XT/XTR/X-0.

votchy
    Free Member

Why do we accept the current over inflated prices for said established mechs? £180 for X-0 rear mech, would like to see the justification on that.

Raw materials have increased but not that much, haven't seen the price of aluminium Jags and Audis increasing by 60% and it's the same raw materials.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

As far as I know the Chinese do make loads of mechs, mainly cheap ones for the mass market. I should imagine the XTR market is probably too small for them to bother with.
    For Shimano XTR exists to showcase their research and development wing and generate interest in Shimano as a company. Despite the high prices I'd be surprised if XTR sales contributed significantly to Shimano's profits.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Why bother whe you can get cheap Japanese mechs? Never heard of Deore?

deore is £50 now though 🙁

racing_ralph
    Free Member

hungry monkey – Member

Why bother whe you can get cheap Japanese mechs? Never heard of Deore?

deore is £50 now though

Course it is!

sax_widby
    Free Member

it's expensive, but if you look at the level of surface engineering that goes into the higher end kit, you'd be amazed. It takes a huge infrastructure and lots of capital to produce those. I wouldnt bother myself, seen as xtr and xt sell in relatively low volumes.

tinsy
    Free Member

Well I for one will be giving this a go next time.. Never even thought about looking at Suntour stuff… 🙂
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=33517

cookeaa

Shop window "Look at what we can make" excercise isn't it…

Same in the Automotive trade the Volkswagen group can produce a 1000BHP supercar, charge you a million quid for it and everyone is very impressed, but they barely cover the Cost of manufacture with that sale price, their bread and butter is flogging Golfs, Polos and A4s to normal people…

In much the same way the XTR/XX groups are really a technical exercise with a consumer price tag that all but the top 5% (in terms of bicycle bugets) can justify buying, as with anything the “trickle down” rule applies…

geoffj

Whilst the xtr and xx stuff is nice, is there really anything technically difficult about their manufacture? And are the R&D costs high for these evolutionary rather than revolutionary products?

cookeaa

They are more “technical exercises” than anything else, the first chance Shimano/SRAM get to roll out new tooling, materials and manufacturing methods, to early adopter, high price point customers.

Like you say evolution rather than revolution, but then what’s so bad about that, for every 5 years of evolution your mid range drive train becomes a touch lighter, more durable and gains the odd minor feature, in theory…

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Off topic but I'd like to know how Merlin are selling Deore rear mechs that cheap?!?

RRP is £50 so I reckon the trade price can't be much below £25.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

I thought that Shimano had patents covering all the decent aspects of their design(s), that unless you can come up with something new (and quite possibly not actually as good) you'll end up infringing on them?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Why don't we get cheap Chinese mechs?’ is closed to new replies.